1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Identity theft

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

My identity was stolen recently. There was a breach at one of the major credit reporting agencies and I was one of the lucky millions of users to have my information compromised. How did I know? A couple of ways, I have a credit agency report any shenanigans with my credit and lo and behold someone tried to get credit using my identity but my account was locked thankfully. Also confirmed online with one of the agencies. Thats about all I can say right now. But it is easy to research. I’m changing everything linking me to previous identifiable information. Trust me its more than you think. Everything we do nowadays has an email, password, address, phone number, name and more. It's all out there folks. This really stinks.

You can check to see if your information was compromised by going to the credit reporting agencies web sites and entering some information and it will tell you if you you are a lucky winner. No one is immune to this.

2. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Identity, the commodity and curse of our time.

KirbyBarba, BigBillow and Rockinvet like this.
  3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i work for a credit reporting agency (mail room...dont ask me credit questions...i dont have any answers)...its very easy to get your credit report...and you should always lock your account until you need it for whatever reason

SRHmusic, KirbyBarba and Rockinvet like this.
  4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about the breech, Rockinvet, and 'yes', it sucks, and 'yes', no one is immune.

My $.02 is: Do your due diligence, e.g., use 'strong' passwords, use different passwords, and use 'https://' websites, whenever possible.

KirbyBarba and Rockinvet like this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup - stolen identity is a drag.
    Consequences run for years.
    The IRS can send you a special PIN so the genuine return gets accepted & bogus ones don't screw things up even worse.
    I think I'm @ year #4 or 5 right now & know it's still active because they just sent Mrs Deeve & me this year's set.
    Gaah!
    Peace - Deeve

KirbyBarba and Rockinvet like this.
  6. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Yup already doing the IRS thing too.

7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Yes sir, thankfully the account was already locked.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Welcome to the jungle.

My wife, the accountant, who worked at a bank for awhile keeps our stuff checked daily. It is a nasty world out there and way beyond me, but a good PSA to everyone.

KirbyBarba, BigBillow and Rockinvet like this.
  9. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

You can do everything right too. Use good passwords, stay away from shady web sites, and avoid phishing schemes etc... But when they breach large corporations or government data bases and steal millions of personal identifiable information that’s about all you can do. Monitor, monitor, monitor...

KirbyBarba, Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.
  10. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Rockinvet likes this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

FYI, be aware that you an have someone else filing taxes in your name to get a refund, and a really bad iteration of someone compromising and porting your cel phone number.

There's not much you can do about some enterprise being compromised but your use of two factor authentication, a password manager such as LastPass, and not recycling passwords all add up.

We learned someone filed taxes in our name when electronic filing would not work.

Rockinvet likes this.
  12. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

Use Brave browser and Bitwarden password generator/manager - both open source and free.
    Never put real info on any website that doesn't require it e.g. Birthdate, phone number, address, etc.
    Limit bank and credit card accounts, consolidate to one institution if at all possible and give full access to a partner if appropriate.
    Use devices like phones with current security updates for banking.
    Set every alert possible on accounts that provide them.

It's a lot of work up front but provides some peace of mind. I also implemented pfsense as a firewall at home - this is a bit of an undertaking. It's shocking how many trackers are blocked by it.

Rockinvet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.