Identifying lace sensor pickups.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by nocastermike, Jun 2, 2017.

1. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Hi guys. I have a 98 strat plus with lace sensors. The decals are long gone though. Some things on this instrument indicate the blue,silver and red..all singles. However im not convinced that they are not the gold ones. Any ideas?

2. nocastermike

Attached Files:

Tonetele likes this.
  3. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you hook up a DVM you will be able to measure the resistance of each pickup. If they measure close to each other they should be 3 Gold Lace Sensors. As I remember the order of resistance on Lace Sensors low to high is: Gold Silver Blue Red.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    paratus and nocastermike like this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Would the date help identify them? Did they change from one set to the other at a particular point in time? I'm not at home at the moment or I would pop the pickups out of my James Burton Telecaster to see if there was any form of identification on the underside. If you still don't know next weekend I can take them out and have a look when I get home.

nocastermike likes this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think only the top of the line Strats had the mixed sets, Plus Deluxe and Ultra, I think the Strat Plus had the Gold Lace Sensors, but I could be wrong, as mentioned you could measure the resistance of each pickup, just plug in a cable and use a multimeter to check what the neck, middle and bridge pickups read.

edit
    Found this info online

The Strat Plus was followed by the Strat Plus Deluxe of 1989,[4] the same guitar except for the addition of an optional white pearloid pickguard (certain Deluxe Pluses came with a brown tortoise shell scratchplate), a Blue Lace Sensor in the neck, a Silver Lace Sensor in the middle, a Red Lace Sensor in the bridge and an optional Fender/Floyd Rose locking bridge.

During the first two years of production, the Strat Plus Deluxe guitar came with a Gold Lace Sensor in the neck position, a Silver Lace Sensor in the middle position and a Blue Lace Sensor in the bridge. According to some knowledgeable people, some of the earliest Strat Plus Deluxe guitars came with a Silver Lace Sensor in the neck position, another Silver Lace Sensor in the middle position and a Blue Lace Sensor in the bridge position as well as a white pick guard as opposed to the pearloid type. It also featured an American 2-point tremolo, with the Deluxe pop-in bridge becoming a common option between 1989 and 1993.

Discontinued in 1999, the Strat Plus and Deluxe Strat Plus guitars were replaced by the Fender American Deluxe Series models that were introduced in 1998.

6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I had the plus some time ago
    I thought it was a 98, but could be wrong. Candy apple red, pearloid pick guard, roller nut, standard two point bridge, tremsetter and the multi-coloured set of Lace Sensors. At the time l was working way through all the guitars I ever wanted on a one in one out basis, so only kept it for a year. The James Burton was my first Telecaster, chosen for the look and the pickup's. At that point the system broke and I now have over 30 guitars!

7. nocastermike

This one has the pearloid guard and the brown tortise scratch plate on the back,which is what led me to asking. The guy who sold it to me for 500.00 bucks said it was a plus/deluxe. I will have them measured on a meter this week. That should tell the story.

8. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

If you pull the pickguards there will be labels on the back of the pickups that will show you what color they are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.