1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Identifying a neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Downsman, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I'm at the early stage of collecting the parts to put together a Telecaster. Ultimately, I want it to look like one that could have been bought around 1960, and played heavily by a teenager in a 60s Garage band, before eventually turning up here in the UK. I'm hoping to get a body from SCRelics, probably a Shell Pink over Sunburst, and with a level of relic to fit with that look I'm after.

I just picked up a neck from FB marketplace that looked the part (to me anyway). The owner got it as part of a job lot about 5 years ago and didn't know where it came from or the specs. Now that I have it, I've checked and it's a slab rosewood, 7.25 radius, vintage frets, and what feels like a 60s C shape (about 20mm at the first fret and 23 at the 12th). About 9mm tuner holes.

It doesn't look like there was any kind of stamp on it (unless sanded off). There might have been a logo on it at some point. Curved nut slot and the nut was worn out so I took it out and the bottom of it was pretty uneven so suspect it originally came without a nut, or it was replaced by an amateur.

Thing is, it looks to me properly old rather than artificially aged. Might have had a logo on it at some point but not any more.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on who might have made it? Or if any completed guitars might have come with a neck like that? Also any thoughts on what the finish might have been would be interesting.
    neck.jpg 20210120_112053.jpg 20210120_112037.jpg 20210120_112044.jpg 20210120_112059.jpg 20210120_112222.jpg 20210120_112108.jpg

McGlamRock and crazydave911 like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Fender licensed necks usually have a fender lic. brand in them. The end of the peghead is unique, almost peavey-ish.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    McGlamRock, Downsman and crazydave911 like this.
  3. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Good point, I didn't notice that the end of the headstock is a slightly different shape. So that rules out Fender licensed. If made by someone wanting it to look like a telecaster but not infringe the trademark, suggests it was on some other company's version of a vintage Fender.

I was going to put my own logo on it anyway, rather than a Fender one, so I don't think the headstock difference is an issue for me.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a good neck. Should fit the bill on that body.

crazydave911 and Downsman like this.
  5. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Whatever it is, I'm thrilled with it. I've parked it on my Squier CV50s for now, and it was a perfect fit. Put Fender Road Worn tuners on it and they went straight in. New nut. Frets are all level with no buzz.

I'm thinking it's probably Japanese. Maybe Tokai?
    20210123_161353.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

I think you could be correct there. Certainly looks like a Tokai.

Downsman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.