1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

identify this chord progression?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by thunderbyrd, Oct 26, 2020.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

instead of actually practicing or learning songs, what i spend lots of time doing is making up licks and progressions that i find interesting. lately, i got smart and started writing them down because i find something i like but forget all about it right away.

by keeping a record, i find i have discovered one that sounds really cool - but i'm pretty sure it's some song i've heard. maybe the beatles.

i start with a C shaped E at the 7th fret, to Aflat minor 4th fret, to F#min, to A6 at 5th fret (5x4555) to B natural. give each chord 4 beats except for 2 beats on A6.

E--Abmin-F#min-A6-B - slowly

anybody recognize it?

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Sounds cool, but I can't link it to a specific song. The theorist in me itches a little at the second chord. The third note of an E major scale is G#, so let's call it a G#min chord instead of Ab...

Then you have a clean I -- iii -- ii -- IV -- V

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Did you mean the A6 to be a Amin6 -- you wrote 5x4555.

A6 would be 5x4655

codamedia and thunderbyrd like this.
  4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Very standard. As noted it's just a I iii ii (iv) V prog.
    I put the minor iv in parentheses because 1) its closely related to a V chord and 2) we're not sure if you mean major or minor?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Strum the chords into the Shazzam app and you'll get several tunes it identifies.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thank you, big daddy, i did not know that. yes the chord is Amin6.

7. thunderbyrd

yep, Amin6. i really didn't think i had reinvented the wheel or anything, are there even any new chord progressions to be made? but it sounded pretty and familiar. very sentimental, i think.

8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It is a beautiful chord progression, and I agree that it has a sentimentality to it.
    "New" chord progs to be made/discovered - ? I've been playing and studying music now for almost 50 years and I haven't come across a chord progression that I haven't heard before in probably the last 20 years. I see/hear some interesting substitutions now and again but that's just one or two chords within something standard.

For me it's all about application and context. Steely Dan and Stevie Wonder constantly flummox the rockers but if you're into jazz - it's nothing new or radical. The opposite for jazz composers like Horace Silver and Keith Jarrett. They employed 'rock' chord progressions in their jazz pieces. Context.

thunderbyrd and BB like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.