Identify Old Vintage Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by zaraxisof, Dec 14, 2019.

1. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

Hello everyone. Could you help identify this Jazz Bass?
    Seems like a Fender Jazz Bass clone from 60s-70s or something similar?

Attached Files:

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Looks made in Japan but that’s all I have

2 Headed Goat and zaraxisof like this.
  3. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

Yeap i was thinking of that too, searched a lot, found similar units but anything matching this one pictured.

4. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Early 70's Japan is my guess.

2 Headed Goat and zaraxisof like this.
  5. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

Probably. Also note the 22 frets..

Bassman8 likes this.
  6. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I didn't notice the thumb rest so I'm now thinking mid 70's as a start. My first bass was a "Bradley" Jazz copy similar to this.

zaraxisof likes this.
  7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Ain't no d**n Fender, that's for sure.

erratick and zaraxisof like this.
  8. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

This local ad exists 2 years ago, i remember that seller was asking about 250 bucks back then lol no one wanted indeed (music interest in my area is not big). Yesterday as i was messing around ads as usual (dont really need another bass but if its bargain why not - i am multiorganist composer and into diy / repair old stuff and so) it came up again.
    Now he asks 150 but i can go negotiate even for 100 or less probably.
    Seller happens to be 100m. away from my house so i can easily go there. It is not his bass he is not musician but i can find out how this came to his hands.
    Why is missing labeling on head...?
    Also look at how weird the neckplate seems...
    Any infos on how can tell by pictures or test in place if it is plywood so avoid?
    Could you tell if it is a crap model or not? MIJ basses of that era were not all good. Do you think is one of the models i should avoid?
    Don't want to talk with him yet cause i don't want to show interest.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

Anyone else here?

10. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Hi to Greece from Germany...

Fender changed the Thumb Rest position in late 1973.
    Ibanez changed the position in 1976.

The pickups look like 1975-1980 Ibanez or El Maya pickups.
    The body-end of the neck does not fit to Ibanez basses - also not the number of frets. Also the neck adjustment from the body side doesn't suit for an Ibanez.
    It looks like this bass once had both chrome covers (bridge and neck).
    The missing logo might mean beginning law-suit-era.

The good reproduction of the pickups means mid to end 1970s and a medium to higher priced model. Cheaper models had cheap chrome cover pickups.

So, a Japanese Matsumoku from the end 1970s I'd say...

erratick and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

FujigenKakki who made Ibanez also produced under many brands to order. In the late 70s when the lawsuit issues came to a head they produced many guits with no headstock labelling.

This is not unusual. Looks Ibanez build.

Probably decent quality esp for a couple bills or less.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  12. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Narrow placing on the neck plate screws indicates MIJ and generally a lower end model.
    It still may be a good player. Agree with Cadfael and Dacious re the Matsumoko and/or Ibanez. Both companies made some great instruments and some less than great ones.
    I owned a Maya sunburst strat that was very nice. It had the proper neck plate screw spacing tho. I'd say, have a go and give it a play. Bring cash with you and produce $100, the seller will probably bite. Re the wood, it could be plywood, or Sen which many of the old school MIJ instruments were made out of. EOTD tho iMB it comes down to how it plays.
    Best of luck!

13. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

Thank you guys for all useful input here i might give it a chance and see how it goes.
    While being there is there any way i could tell if it is a ply or any other type of wood?
    By the way found also another pic showing back of the head when ad first appeared back then, just saying.

Attached Files:

14. 2 Headed Goat

Ask to remove the control plate (bring a screwdriver with you). You probably know that horizontal lines (layers) indicates plywood and that's what you'll be looking for - well, the lack thereof. Solid body - most likely would be Sen.

15. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

Yeap indeed alright :)

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Make sure to examine the neck and see if it has any bowing to it that a truss rod won’t fix
    I just noticed how black the 3 remaining strings are meaning that this bass hasn’t been played in a long time
    Maybe it is okay but maybe the neck is wrecked and that’s why it’s being sold

17. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Why would you want a 70's cheap-o copy? The current Squier versions are inexpensive and better built than even a real Fender was in 70's

I saw those knock off basses all the time in the 70's and they were terrible instruments then and won't have gotten better with age - it amazes me that people think of them as "vintage" now.

Bassman8 likes this.
  18. 2 Headed Goat

Not everybody resides in the good ol' USA where gear is plentiful and inexpensive bro.

And some Japanese knockoffs from back in the day are pretty stellar... Fender USA couldn't beat em so they joined em... thus Fender Japan was formed.

19. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Squier is made in China and Indonesia etc. I would think you could find them outside of the USA.:rolleyes:

Yes "Some" Japanese knockoffs are excellent but most of those early ones were not. So if the bass in the OP is $50 then OK, it's cheaper than a Squier ... but if it's "Vintage" (like in the title of this thread) and costs $200+ you'd be better off with a Squier IMO

Bassman8 likes this.
  20. zaraxisof

zaraxisof TDPRI Member

Well i get you both. Truth is you can easily find a kind quality for money Squier for few bucks. My first bass was an IC indo 2013 Squier J bass i found for 100 bucks almost new back then.
    Price is somewhere in the middle. Seller asks 150€ but i will not give that no way. I mean the ad is there since 2 years ago and seller decreases price by time passing. I was thinking of offering 50€ but again i am thinking how much work do i have to do then, restoring like an antique etc.
    Yeap indeed that bass has not been played for 2 decades at least and was not stored properly look at the rusty bridge or white moisture stamps on wood back body.

Thats why i ask for type of body. If there is a possibility for to be plywood glued together not solid, i will not go for it even for 50.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.