ideas on relic-ing

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by TheGoodGuy, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

It's your guitar and you can do what you want to it, my only recomendation would be to not over do it.
    And since that is a squier it's not a really expensive mistake if you don't like it:D

2. TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy TDPRI Member

I've done some "research" on the 4 way tele switch. It was great. But! They also say that it'll produce some hum....

3. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

As a huge relic fan I would pass on relicing that guitar. How about sell it and buy an unfinished body/neck and go from there? That's what I would do. It's hard to get an authentic relicd look with those new poly bodies. If you try putting dents/dings on the body it will chip and you will regret it. Your best option if you chose to relic that guitar would be to use a scotch brite pad or brillo pad and knock the shine off the finish and gently put very minor impressions on the body/neck. Take hardware and fume in muriatic acid and then you are there. Just be forewarned it could go horribly wrong and you could ruin your guitar. If that happens just buy a bunch of punk looking stickers and cover it all up and sell on Ebay to some teenage kid.

4. soma

soma TDPRI Member

if you want it to look worn out -> wear it out. everything else is fake bollocks.

5. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

... in his humble opinion.

6. soma

soma TDPRI Member

exactly. aka 'common sense' ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.