1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ideas for TV Jones guitar under 1000

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Strowbri86, Mar 27, 2020.

1. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

Nice choice!
    These newer electos come with nice graphtek nuts, but it still may require some gentle and not-so-gentle filing to keep the strings from binding when you use the bigsby,

And yeah, the plastic pickup rings are definitely more classic gretsch than the metal ones.
    With your stock rings you’ll need an adapter to attach to the side with 2 screws. TV Jones makes some, but you can make your own.
    That’s what I did when I added some to my 5420T.
    FDF33194-7FD9-457E-92C5-20449DC90E9D.jpeg
    ACF20711-D3D8-4ACB-AB6D-1287E5882C41.jpeg

Strowbri86 likes this.
  2. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

Sorry I meant 5622. Mine is imperial stain (dark brown) and made in China. The walnut colored (lighter brown) 5622s are made in Korea. The new ones in both cases. Just interesting. I am loving mine though. I spent the day adjusting and playing it and it took very little effort. Things that are usually easily found errors on lower end guitars like sharp frets, binding mislining, intonation being iffy, glue marks inside, and so on are nowhere to be found on mine. Very happy. And I ordered plastic rings, silver, from TV jones, that will match the pups.

BorderRadio and CalebAaron666 like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Dude, didn’t mean to nerd out on you, but uh, I like Gretsch guitars :D

Especially the new imperial stain —and yes quality is very high, so much so that Electromatics are now mid-tier, and shouldn’t have any major defects. Enjoy :)

Strowbri86 and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I would pick up a used Ibanez semi-hollow, either the AS93 (335 sized) or the AM93 (339 sized) and drop those TV Jones in it.

5. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fender's Fidelitron pups are supurb. (There's a pair on Reverb for $100.)

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

Thanks! It took me a while to find a builder to come up with that combo of routing. A little cross breeding of thinline, traditional, and La Cabrionita.

Strowbri86 likes this.
  7. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

The universal mount TV Classics and mounting ring makes it possible to install them in any humbucker-routed guitar. I would focus on finding a hollowbody or semihollow that feels good and put the pickups in that. It certainly doesn't have to be a Gretsch.

Of the suggestions I've seen so far, I really like the Epiphone ES-339 idea. I would also suggest maybe an Ibanez Artcore.

I use TV Classics in 3 different guitars. I find they are very sensitive to the rest of the guitar. Body wood, construction, string gauge, and pickup height all cause noticeable changes in the sound. The bridge pickup in my thinline hollowbody has a really sweet vocal quality while the one in my swamp ash solidbody has face-slapping attack. Both sound good, just different.

Strowbri86 likes this.
  8. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nope. But you can get P90s the size of Filtertrons.

johnniegoat likes this.
  9. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

Lol no problem

10. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

It's done! Just thought I'd show you all the before and after shot. I replaced the pickups with blemished tv jones classics (which I literally could not find any blemishes on). They sound so nice. So clean and warm and crisp.

I used silver plastic pickup rings. Took the pick guard off. And I added a vibramate spoiler for easier string loading on the bigsby.

I played it for a while and couldn't be happier. This is the guitar I've been waiting for.

20200412_021725.jpg
    20200412_021709.jpg

11. MagnusL

MagnusL TDPRI Member

Nice!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  12. Vitadog

Vitadog Tele-Meister

I bought a G&L tribute Bluesboy and installed TV Jones in it with a new bridge. I think I got the guitar for $300 and pickups for just under. It is the 1st guitar everyone reaches for first of all my guitars. The G&L tributes are great guitars for the money.

13. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Me likee!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.