Ideas for something to pair with an Archer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ReggiedaDog, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

So after a year in the modelling wilderness Ive sold up and come back to Amps and pedals. Scored a Rivera Fender Deluxe Reverb II which (IMHO) has one the best drive channel Ive ever heard on a Fender amp.

I’m now going down the pedal rabbit hole. Having a right old larf. I bought myself an Archer (silver) and LOVE it! Fantastic boost that works really well with the clean and drive channel on my amp. Also using a compressor (CS3) at the beginning of my chain. This could be all I need in the boost/OD stakes. I far prefer the Archer tone as a boost with a bit of OD though rather than out and out gain.

A buddy leant me a Fulldrive 3 which I tried after and before the Archer but to be honest it left me cold, it coloured the tone too much and didn’t really add anything.

I used to own a Clarkdale that I really liked and wish I’d never sold so that is a possibility. Never tried an OCD either, or a Tube Screamer surprisingly- and Ive been playing for 30 years. Not after anything too heavy, the heaviest my band goes is Petty/Crowes/Skynyrd/ZZ Top

Curious what fellow TDRPI-ers would recommend to go after the Archer- any of the above? Anything else? Or nothing and just crank the amp? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have tried the Blackstone Appliance, Bixonic Expandora and currently use the J Rockett Blue Note, I have the gold Archer Icon. I always have the Archer first and only use both occasionally. I use the Archer as a fat cleanish boost and the Blue Note as a slightly dirtier boost.

BorderRadio and ReggiedaDog like this.
  3. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Im surprised they work that way around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

OCD - with the gain and tone down, boost it with the klone for great leads.

Doses not have the clean signal component like Fulldrives or Tubescreamers.

But if your amp has a great lead channel I’d just boost that and not use pedals for dirt.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Rats are wonderful creatures.

6. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

I have Silver Archer > Nobels ODR right now in my board. Best pairing for me. I like Archer > Timmy, too. Although, I prefer nobels.

7. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Yes they are indeed- back in the day when I was in a punk band it was all I ever used- not sure how theyd work for current use though

Interesting- never played through a Timmy but that was my go to preset on the Helix- but isn't that another Klon type pedal and be too close to the Archer?

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Don't overlook the glorious tone that's available with the Distortion knob down low. Great classic rock sound.

ReggiedaDog likes this.
  9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

A J Rockett Blue Note is a great pedal to kick with another pedal - I found it useful in many places in the chain. Something else to look at would possibly be a bluesbreaker style pedal such as the JHS Morning Glory or Wampler Pantheon.

On the less expensive side, a Boss OD-3 can do great things and doesn't have the hump of its siblings, plenty of low end.

I have also found an OCD with the drive setting low can be really nice and there is plenty of gain on tap if you want it.

Given that you didn't like how the fulldrive colored your sound, I'd say Tubescreamer variants are something to avoid.

Do let us know what you end up with.

Mike Simpson likes this.
  10. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Obligatory RAT post.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Has anyone tried a zen drive? Just curious a completely different tone to the other pedals.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a Zen Drive owner. It might be a good choice for the kind of music you play. I use it mostly with my lap steel. Some compression in front of it is nice, too.

13. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I can only suggest what works for me, so take it for what it's worth. The pedals that stand out for me with my Klonish clone (Tone City Bad Horse) are a Snouse Black Box 2 and a Machine Head Pedal 72 Degrees.

I don't play with a ton of gain, but these pedals provide the rich, awesome textures that make me smile.

14. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Just been having a play around with the archer and I love the gain sound from it (with gain pedal around 1-2) so I might go the other way and put a boost in front of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I'd try a Tube Screamer or variant--I like the T Rex Moller
    Or a Rat style. I like the T Rex Mudhoney.

There are obviously others. :)

Not long ago T Rex pedals were cheap because the company was in bankruptcy and trying to raise cash by selling off inventory. I don't know if that's true, as I also read that now the original owners are getting the company back.

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Prob TS9, OD808, or Snouse black box

17. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

I have an Archer Ikon and it works well with everything.

YMMV

18. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I usually suggest something with more tone-shaping controls, so that you can either add or reduce treble/bass. A great bang for the buck is the EHX Crayon.

--Jay

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.