Ideas for next build

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by mrboson, Oct 7, 2014.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I've scratch built three pedals so far (well, four if you include a buffer). Fuzzy picture below: Orange Squeezer, Dr. Quack, Rat (Rodent - which is the name of my cat). These were pedals I built to fill needs - I wanted a simple compressor, and an autowah/envelope filter, and I specifically wanted a Rat. They work great on my board, which currently is loaded with: Polytune Mini, my DIY buffer, Orange Squeezer, Dr. Quack, Rat, Timmy, Joyo Analog Delay, TCE Nova Repeater, Joyo trem.

So.... I am looking for my next scratch build. I am not against kits, per se, I just enjoy the challenge of scratch. My question then, what are some suggestions for my next build that make sense with my current pedal board, something that I can fill a hole with, use it with my current family of effects? I'm sure someday I'll be at the point where I just build stuff and have pedals sitting on a shelf, but right now I want to use what I build.

In my component stash I have a handful of old Ge diodes (not exactly sure what type), Si diodes (bunch of 1N4148, some 1N4002), op amps (JRC4558's, TL072's, a single LM308), transistors (couple each of 2N5457 and 2n5458) but I don't mind buying additional stuff outside of that crop.

What would you build?

Attached Files:

2. luckett

luckett Banned

No BJTs?

Try some flavor of electra distortion with a JFET instead of a BJT.

3. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

You know, that actually made me think... my last batch of stuff I ordered should have had some BJTs in it, which I totally forgot about.

Sure enough, I have bunch of 2N3904's so an electra distortion is a possibility.

To be honest, (as I am still a novice at this) I am not sure what changes I would need to make to the circuit to build a JFET version.

4. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Well you're missing a wah, a low gain drive, a booster, a high gain dirt pedal and chorus/phaser/flanger/vibe/leslie type pedals. And a fuzz.

You could try a high gain pedal like a BSIAB, thunderchief, ROG thor etc ...

Oh and a cab sim could be a good idea. Start with the condor schematic and improve from there.

Take a look at Run off groove and you'll find something interesting :p

5. luckett

luckett Banned

Build a basic JFET boost and hang a couple of diodes off the output like you see on an electra.

[​IMG]

Add a pot on the source to adjust gain level like is described here.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/boost.htm

Set the drain voltage anywhere from 4.5V to ~7V depending on what kind of distortion flavor you like.

You can make it more interesting by adding a tone control, or two JFETs in series, or putting the diodes on a switch to get pure JFET clipping, etc. It's simple enough to easily throw on breadboard and tinker with until you get something you like.

6. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

That's it! Something like this is already on my wish list, and I was just considering buying a H&K Redbox.

But building a cabinet sim looks fun, and not as hard as I would have thought. I can even see from the description of the condor's circuit where the opportunities for experimentation are.

Thanks!

7. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

And after that you could build a small poweramp pedal based around the TPA3106D1 chip (or even combine it with the condor in a single pedal) and you're good to drive PA speakers :)

8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Octave Fuzz

9. luckett

luckett Banned

A 32 pin SMD chip? That doesn't sound like much fun to solder by hand.

10. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Lol, yeah right, my bad :lol:
    Just throwing ideas around and that chip was the first to pop up on google.

11. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I think I'll leave the power amp for a future project.

But I think I will build a cabinet sim and include a headphone amp in the enclosure. This MXR looks easy.

12. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I like this. There is a BYOC kit, but I'd rather scratch build something.

Thing is, Google hasn't returned many octave fuzz search results with schematics. The Tagboard Effects site has a Fuzzhugger Phantom Octave, but I haven't really liked the youtube samples I have heard.

13. luckett

luckett Banned

If you use an LM386 chip for the headphone amp, it will have enough power to play thru a full size speaker at low volumes. It's also much simpler to build than that mxr amp.

14. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Foxx Tone Machine. Great octave sound and the non-octave fuzz is one of my favorites. Use 2n5088 for the transistors.

15. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

16. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

<sigh> what to do first... all these great suggestions.

I have a couple of Hammond 1590 enclosures arriving tomorrow. One is 4.39 in and the other 2.34 in, so I think it will be a cab sim with a headphone amp in the bigger one for the first build. TBD on the second, though.

17. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

How about a Bluesbreaker or Silver Pony (Klon)?

The BYOC Parametric EQ looks sweet but not an easy build.

18. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Hmm, 2N5457 gets in my mind Okko Diablo Gain Plus....

19. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

So it's been a few weeks... you know, life and all that stuff.

But I ended up building a Condor. No pix of the build process because there were a lot of starts and stops along the way. I based it on the stock ROG circuit but left things easy to change the caps affecting the notch depth. So I am experimenting there.

Pic below is a low res shot of what I will put on the enclosure. I use iron on transfers and then spray over with clear acrylic. Pix of it all finished coming up after the weekend.

I worked up a headphone amp (using this as the circuit) on a separate little board to include in the enclosure, but then I stupidly used dual opamps instead of singles. Wasn't paying attention there. The correct ones will be arriving in the mail today, so I'm pretty sure that will work.

I was planning to use the Condor/Headphone box for playing at home, but then the powers that be at church just announced they want to go silent stage :twisted: :rolleyes:

I think I will try this thing out tonight at rehearsal, minus my combo amp, and see what it sounds like in the PA.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.