Ideas 5e3 cab and volume

XrelishX

TDPRI Member
Greetings, I am finally ready for my first Tweed but just a tiny bit worried about volume. I do own my home and have a bit of space but I don't always want to bleed my ears. If I bought a combo is there a mod that would still let my 5e3 do what it needs to do while dropping some power or volume? I am not too concerned with clean tones. I have enough to cover that area, I am more worried about keeping the bark, bite, breakup and bloom at less volume. I am also curious about how just the head would sound thru my tm112 hughes and kettner cab with a vintage 30 in it. Would a head even be compatible with a 16 ohm cab? Would a mid priced soak, volume or attenuation device keep the sound quality? Then I would have said device for possible other needs. I know I am full of questions here but even if you have ideas about just one area I would love to hear it. I am also curious about builders but it seems like little dawg is pretty popular on this site. I have also looked at Olds Cool amps simply because his prices are unbeatable. I just wonder if anyone has any experience with his builds or values. Thanks again everyone! Best regards, Richard. P.s. Yes my parents named me Dick Clark.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
A tweed that might fit your needs is the Lil Dawg Mutt. Its a 5e3 Deluxe front end so you have the 4 inputs and the 3 knobs BUT it has a 5f1 Champ backend so its only 5 watts. I have the combo with a Jensen 12 of some sort and it really sounds good without being too loud. But 5 watts will surprise you, its got balls.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
A tweed that might fit your needs is the Lil Dawg Mutt. Its a 5e3 Deluxe front end so you have the 4 inputs and the 3 knobs BUT it has a 5f1 Champ backend so its only 5 watts. I have the combo with a Jensen 12 of some sort and it really sounds good without being too loud. But 5 watts will surprise you, its got balls.

There's one on Reverb right now for $825....nice price.

Do you (or anyone) know what the last stage is, since it doesn't need a phase inverter with a single 6V6?

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Sadly I do not but you can call Jim, the owner of Lil Dawg, and ask him. He friendly and helpful, he wont mind if you're looking at used amps. If you do a search on the amps both here and on the net, you wont find anything but the best comments for both Jim and his amps.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
When I wanted a Deluxe I had Jim build me a Chassis Build to get me started at the least cost.
- He can install a multi-tap transformer for you (4, 8, 16) if you want. Not sure the cost.
- Or you can buy a Weber Mini Mass attenuator that also has an impedance selector (4, 8, 16), so you kill two birds with one stone (attenuation and impedance). Although you may not even need an attenuator. I only use mine on a Princeton Reverb, not the 5e3.
- Later, if you want a cab for your head (like I did), you can by a high quality pine cab for around $200. I got mine from TRM cabs, and stained and finished it myself.
- I built a 10" speaker cab for mine and, on the recommendation from Weber, put in a 10A125 alnico. Great paring with this amp (low watts and relative low efficiency).

Good luck and have fun.

Back at it

Tele-Meister
I have a lil dawg delux lunchbox, I can be loud, not clean and loud, crunchy and awesome loud

as with all 5e3s there is not much clean, what there is is very sweet, but not too loud

im using mine with a 2-12 vertical with scumbacks, I also use a power station ps2 which makes this and all my other amps amazingly useful

in fact I can get the delux clean tone as loud as I like with ps2 reamp

the best of all worlds for me

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
find the clone or build kit that suits you and buy a Weber mini-mass to go with it. Keep the 5e3-ness and gain of the circuit but at house friendly volumes.

I believe robrob also has a 1/4 power mod and a ppimv mod if you’d rather do it that way.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Here's another attenuator that covers 4, 8, an 16 ohms and is $103 at Sweetwater. Ive had an Airbrake and Swart attenuators and this one was much less and works with all of my amps.

Bugera PS1 Passive 100-watt Power Attenuator​

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
Easiest? Less efficient speaker, done.

Works better than any other method I know of (outside of something like a Fryette PS100 or something).

I recently swapped speakers to go the other way (my 5e3 doesn't keep up here in SoCal at the local Blues jams. They're a loud bunch! Anyway, I went ofmr a speaker that was about 94db to one that is 100. It made my little 5e3 loud enough I had to turn down last night at band practice (and I play with a Sax player and a drummer with a big, loud kit).

Find something like the Jensen P10R, or something similar 92-94 Db and you should be golden.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Sweetest sounding spesker for Fenders I have is Jensen P10R-F. Its sensitivity is only 92,5db so it is possible to get bit more grit from the tubes. Despite its power rating its max amp power is 10W...12W depending how much amp distort the sound.