Ideal Amp: BF Princeton Smallbox Head (NAD)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hoodster, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I've always felt that a dual 6V6 BF Princeton or Deluxe in a small lightweight head would be my ultimate amp, for both home and jams.

For a long time I've been hearing that the Traynor DarkHorse is pretty much just that. I picked one up this week and can confirm that the US setting cranks out all the beautiful Fender Blackface goodness you can desire.

The amp has a couple of other cool features like the two watt setting along with Brit and Pure modes, but for me where this amp shines is the rich, articulate, and punchy clean tones as a pedal platform. All my boxes sound wonderful through it.

You can find these used in the $300-$350 range, 14 pounds with a nice padded carry bag.

I don't know why The Big F has never made something like this. If Fender made a "Princeton in a Box" for 5 bills, they'd sell boatloads.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/11067/traynors-darkhorse-dh15h/

Crobbins, thunderbyrd and uriah1 like this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

IDK... hard to call a blackface a blackface without the world-standard Fender reverb and tremolo....

But a PR/DR with a usable MV, now that's something I'd be interested in (actually, for ALL the blackfaces)

3. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Hand wired and some nice upgrades. I have the V15 combo and love it.

7AC2C2E9-518F-4BC0-8D61-4D07BC77FBD1.png

theprofessor and ruger9 like this.
  4. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Fender has made a PR and DR in head format, they were limited production amps in the last few years. I would have grabbed the Deluxe if I'd had the money.
    Al

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

should've had an effects loop

to me that's the deal breaker (if I was considering)

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

After a few more days with the DarkHorse I have to say that while the "pure" mode sounds just OK with my Strat, it sounds amazing with the Esquire - adds just the right amount of meat to a bright bridge pickup.

Again, that is just gravy on top of the sweet articulate BF tones in US mode.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.