1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Idea: TDPRI version of Freecycle?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ron C, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

I just had a nice experience with TDPRI member dfab, and it got me wondering about whether we could do something like it on a bigger scale.

Backstory:
    A couple of days back I went through my supply of guitar parts and found 20 pots that I'm pretty certain I'll never use again. Most were used, some were a little gloppy with solder but I think all work fine. It just didn't seem like the type of thing to sell on eBay or Reverb.

So last night I posted an ad in Classifieds here saying "just pay for my shipping to you". I got a few quick responses, and sold them to member dfab, who kindly kicked in some extra to buy me a cup of coffee.

Result was that I did a little housecleaning, good but low $$ value parts got into the hands of someone with a project for them, and I connected with a good guy. Win win win.

The idea:
    What if TDPRI had it's own "Free stuff" thread, or a section in the classifieds? Kind of like Freecycle.org (is that still around?) for the small stuff that many of us have around and don't feel are worth selling?

What do you think?

tery, TeleSlug, 24 track and 5 others like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Suggest it in the Forum Issues, or whatever it's called. Over at sister site Squire-Talk we have a Free To A Good Home section in the Classifieds and it does a lively business for the greater good. I've given and gotten there and it's a good thing.

24 track and Ron C like this.
  3. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

It's a good idea. I have small and random parts that are too much of a bother to sell but if a member needed one I'd drop it in the mail.

24 track, Manual Slim and Ron C like this.
  4. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Great, I'll do that.

24 track likes this.
  5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

This is a great idea!

Ron C and 24 track like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Perhaps that's the way this bucket of pick-press products will get out of my living room.
    Credit cards, gift cards and other products make a more-than-adequate plectrum (to my tastes) YMMV.
    If anybody wants a #10 envelope w/ some picks, PM me and they'll be out before the week's end. :cool:
    Peace - Deeve

Ron C and 24 track like this.
  7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I definitely have pedals I’d give away if I didn’t have to pay for shipping?!

Ron C, Tommy Biggs and 24 track like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am all for recycling and re purposing , good and useable things. I have based my studio on that principle, great idea!

Ron C likes this.
  9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I hate having to go into my pocket to give something away - but I'm sure a small honorarium covering shipping would be acceptable!

Ron C likes this.
  10. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. You make me think that we could just start a "Free Stuff" thread, but I figure it's best to give the moderators (or TDPRI brass?) a chance to review and weigh in on how we'd go about this. I don't want to inadvertently create a problem for them.

11. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I will just point out that-
    Yes freecycle.org is still a thing. I subscribe to two local areas bulletins and occasionally participate on both the giving and getting.
    Unloaded some stuff I didnt want to bother trying to sell, and just couldnt bring myself to send to the landfill...
    And pick up some stuff here and there too. for examples: lawn product spreader in brand new condition. Last week I picked up some fine pieces of wood left over from a local woodworkers projects.
    But... I will tell you that "free" brings out the freakiest of squirrels. The interactions can be.... "Interesting" - going both ways.

12. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

A grand idea, exemplified by the fact that when I posted a thread about string choice, @62 Jazzmaster stepped up unsolicited to offer to mail me a set he didn’t need. He is a mensch. As soon as I get to it, they’re going on my guitar! Until we have such a thing, I’m just going to post some “free” ads in the classifieds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.