1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Idea: TDPRI Tributes

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Hatfield92, May 20, 2020.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So I was just jamming alone a couple of minutes ago, when I brainstormed something that I think could be a lot of fun... as long as AT LEAST five or six other members are interested in this too.

I was just messing around with a really raggedy sounding version of “Lucille” by the late, great Little Richard. As I was doing that, I was struck with the idea that I think it could be a cool thing to have a bunch of different Richard songs, each recorded by a different TDPRI member.

It’d be similar to the backing track challenges, only each participant would create their own track from scratch.

I’m certainly not the best guitarist on here, but I’m an even less gifted vocalist. Still, I’d love to share a track in tribute to a musical icon each time we lose one.

Would anyone else be interested in joining this “TDPRI Tributes” project, starting with a slightly belated Little Richard tribute? There are certainly plenty of great songs to choose from. And you certainly don’t need to try to recreate the original version (unless you want to). Think about Waylon’s own version of Lucille.

So... who’s in?

tery likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Or Kenny Roger's o_O

VWAmTele, tery and nojazzhere like this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I asked my friends about it, but all their lips was tight.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The tracks would be the easy part. Singing like Mr. Penniman? Might be easier to juggle chainsaws.

- D

Fretting out and tubegeek like this.
  5. Hatfield92

Guess you skimmed over the part where I mentioned Waylon Jennings covering Little Richard.

6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Mr. McCartney struggled with it at times and he's pretty good.

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Richard's vocals are what makes those songs exciting to me. YMMV.

- D

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Sing?

Me? lol

Now if you enjoy the sound of "Goose farts on a muggy day" LK, I may be just the singer for you.

But I could do a nice instrumental,

9. Hatfield92

An instrumental is fine. A capella is fine. Heck, sample Richard’s trademark “Wooo” for a rap track. This is all about honoring Little Richard through one’s own art.

I’ve decided to go ahead with my own tribute track. I’m currently working on “Good Golly, Miss Molly” ... again, it won’t sound like Little Richard. That’s not the point.

My version is shaping up to be really rough around the edges, but a labor of love. Besides, any rock and roll guitarist worth his salt should be able to come up with an at least passable version of a Richard song. That’s rock 101.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Leo, is that you? :rolleyes:

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You're gonna need this pedal:

[​IMG]

12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I tried a few time to do a version of Lucille with two guitars lol, and I failed like crazy. StrangerNY was spot on saying it was all about his vocals. And boy could he belt it like no other. The instruments were at best just support in the background.

So my next idea was to overdub onto his studio version of Lucille.
    It still took time to be heard and still be a rhythm part of the band, almost invisible. And it worked out ok, good even.

But then right before I posted I thought "is this legal?" Copyright infringement? So I scraped it.

My tribute to Little Richard is to not attempt this because he is one of a kind and I want to respect him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.