1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Idea for series/parallel + coil tap wiring: feedback please?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Uroboral, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Uroboral

Uroboral TDPRI Member

As someone relatively new to guitar pickups and their tonalities, I want a setup that lets me test humbuckers in series, parallel and split coil all in the same guitar. I couldn't find any exact wiring for what I had in mind, so I came up with this and thought I'd share (firstly to get feedback and see if I made any mistakes, and also if anyone else wants to do this they could use this wiring too):

_20170305_122645.JPG

Let me know what you guys think!

I'm pretty sure I got the wiring right, but I don't know if this will add additional impedances or anything like that.

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

When it's in parallel, activating the split switch will ground out the pickup. That might make for a usability issue.

I've always felt that parallel and split were close enough that I'd rather not bother with having both options, and of the two I usually favor the single coil voicing of the split mode. I've been trying to find humbuckers that have a clear enough series tone that I never feel a need to split or go parallel, and I've mostly found that in sets such as the Tonerider AlNiCo IV's, or the Donlis '59 knock offs.

3. Uroboral

Uroboral TDPRI Member

If you mean the dpdt in up position and the spdt down, that should ground both leads of the lower coil and just the ground lead of the upper coil, leaving the hot lead of the upper coil to the output...right...? I hope I didn't trace the circuit path wrongly! The plan is that the series/parallel switch only works when it's in humbucker mode, when in single coil mode the series/parallel switch has no effect (since there's only one coil active).

Actually, when I know the pickups well enough, that would be ideal. But I want to use this as a learning opportunity for me to compare the split vs parallel directly!

4. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Check this out http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...-Triple-Shot&p=3712964&viewfull=1#post3712964. It's a two dpdt, or two push pull equivelent of an SD triple shot. It allows series, parallel, or split to either coil.

Zepfan and Uroboral like this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

IIRC somewhere in the circuit you need a triple pole triple throw switch to pull off all those options.

I have some custom made 3 rail triple bucker pickups I wired about 20 years ago and I have phase/series/parallel/single coil options for both pickups.

For 2 humbuckers the Jimmy Page LP wiring will you there and them some:
    [​IMG]

6. Uroboral

Uroboral TDPRI Member

These are interesting suggestions, thanks! My setup is a two knob guitar, though, and the plan I have just adds one more switch to convert it to single coil. Trying to keep it as simple as possible while getting me both split and series/parallel, I don't need the phase or selecting exactly which coil to use.

Sorry, which options...?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.