1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Idea: drilling string slots in a nut

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Fatcat211, Jan 15, 2021.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I don't know how you'd ever get the string height correct.

2. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I've got a box of ancient swiss rat-tail jeweler's files, almost needle-thin at the tips. They're all I ever use for nuts, aside from maybe a starter kerf with a hyperfine saw to register the file and get the spacing right. As for brass, why not? Not really much harder to work than weirdo plastic stuff.

3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Likely not dense enough.

4. Fatcat211

Fatcat211 Tele-Meister

Wow that spurred a lot of suggestions. Thank you everyone!

I’ve made a nut before from brass stock, so I know all the measuring and shaping tricks most use here. I’m surprised there’s some doubt that I would be able to get the string height and radius right. I have the old nut to measure, I can also plot it with the rough nut in the slot once the bottom has been radiused. Also, I intend on bringing it to final set up by hand while installed in the bass. I had not considered bit wander, but with bass gauges and 1/8 stock thickness I think I can keep it under control if my bit feed is slow. Challenge!

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

On the subject of bone nuts etc. I once bought a ladies hair comb from a tourist, souvenier, cafe, shoppe, type place in China made from a mountain goat's horn. It was a grey to dark grey colour, with a wide bar across the top where the comb teeth were formed.
    After I got back to OZ I was doing a neck for a unit I was building and cut a section of the comb top off to make the nut!

I tried to shape it but the absolute stink that came from it was almost making me vomit so tossed it all in the bin.

I rescued some 1/4" sheets of white plastic from the rubbish bin at work years before and still have some left, so my nuts are now all made from that!

DC

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Good question and a great opportunity to hone drill press chops!
    To minimize wandering you want very short bits, and best aim a little high then hand finish final slot depth.
    Brass isn’t a great nut material IMO but it’s a good reason to try and nail it close to finished with drill bits when you have no good bass size nut files.
    Brass screws up files more than mild steel or bone AFAIK.
    Getting rid of 98% of the waste with machines would save a good amount of filing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.