ID This Guitar

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by lstdukestking, Mar 30, 2020.

1. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

Bruce.jpg I used to think this was an American Fender guitar that was modified. Until I discovered the 1958 Reissue (Guess I live under a rock) and think it's one of those.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Fender brought out a 'Brooce' model Bigsby 50s Classic MiM in the mid noughties and he had a stage guitar probably a Custom Shop model to promote it.

Originally he used a 58 two+pickup Esquire in sunburst on tour. It became too worn/valuable so it was retired.

I think Phil Perillo used to do guitars for him. They had Barden blade pickups and special fret jobs with very hard frets

Bruce sweats so much in a gig that he turns guitar strings black in minutes. The roadies tip sweat out of the cavities when he hands it to them electrics are sealed in epoxy.

First thing he does with any new guit is puts it down and tips a bottle of water on the pickups - if it won't play plugged in he returns it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I suppose Fender then sells these "Brooce Burnouts" for $9000 each.

jsegovia likes this.
  4. Dacious

No I think they flog the CS staffer and mash their fingers and then he gets to fix it and they send it back.

5. lstdukestking

So, the one in the picture is a 58 RI or a CS?

6. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

Only one thing you have said is true and that's the water proofing of the bardens. You'd be surprised at what you think his guitars are, actually aren't. Remember what he said in Broadway about being a fraud? I bet if you ever got a chance to look at most of his guitars, he wasn't lying. Your anecdotes may have been true at one time, maybe in the 70's and 80's but that guitar on the cover isn't what you think it is. And again like he said, that's the trick. Nobody on here including myself is going to tell you exactly what you want to know. If you think fender is sending him guitars, LOL.

7. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

Neither.

8. Dacious

This is based on info from a poster who used to work for Petillo, who posted on here a fair while ago. Probably was very early noughties.

I don't know if he still is but he had boutique guits if not an endorser - I remember seeing Fender promotions around a Classic 50s or 60s MIM Bigsby mid noughties with a pic like this one of him holding what looked like the MiM but wasn't. If he wasn't getting paid for it he should have. They were trading on him.

His Esquire isn't sunburst - faulty memory.

I saw him here 4-5 years ago, he had at least six different Teles handed to him onstage and they weren't beaten up so considering his usage they must be newish or carefully wiped down offstage.

I have to say - not being critical of him at all. He's a great player and gives a great performance. If anyone deserves getting guits from Fender it's him. He's sold enough for 'em.

His treatment of his fan club and endorsing charities at his gigs means he's a great human being to me.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I guess I’m not surprised that he had/has a magazine about him

You Bruce/“Boss” guys are bonkers

* Now I’m never allowed to step foot in New Jersey ever again

10. lstdukestking

So....did we ID the guitar?

11. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

^^I think it's a "Telecaster".

Fenderdad1950 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.