1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ID part within AC4 chassis..?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by natec, Dec 2, 2020.

1. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

upload_2020-12-2_13-26-44.png

Can any of you identify the 'black ring' (see arrow above) that the speaker wire is looped through inside this AC4? I found this photo online, but mine is identical.

I'm putting this chassis into a new cab, and I started to unwrap it so that I could use the full length of the speaker wire, but Vox must have a had a reason for it.... (?)

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I believe it's a shielding device for those wires but I could be wrong.

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

It's a ferrite choke to reduce RFI. It's what's inside the lumps you often see on laptop power leads.

Wally, ThermionicScott and natec like this.
  4. natec

Thanks John. Is the 'looping through' twice necessary to be effective, or could I pull it through so that it only encircled one pass of the wire through it?

If I need to rewire those two leads in order to reach my new speaker, I can do that - I'm *so close* that little bit of length would make a difference.

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

It's one of those things you could throw away and never miss it, until you are in a situation where RFI is present. Have to say when I had an AC4 I thought the speaker wire was the thinnest cheapest wire they could find. If I'd kept it, I would have replaced it with a heavier guage. May not have made any difference, but it would have made me feel happier.

6. natec

That's a good perspective, I may as well since I have it all opened up. Thanks again John.

john_cribbin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.