1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'd like to be broke like rich people are when they go broke.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Haven’t had much work late summer/early fall but have stuff in the pipeline . Of course it will all come at once.

Still , I have the luxury of turning things down when the terms don’t match my requirements as my wife is by far the primary breadwinner.

Things is tight !

But they’ve been tight before.

Forward...

Torren61 likes this.
  2. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Some people just know how to make it happen. They start with little to nothing and become “rich”. Then there’s the rest of us. There’s people who work hard and are responsible with their income and with a little luck make a decent life. Then there’s people who are virtually beyond help. Some people out there could be given a free million and would be flat broke in no time. Most people out there live from one paycheck to the next but that’s pretty much how the world has always been. It’s a far cry better than living the subsistence life of a stone age hunter-gatherer. At least we got Telecasters. :)

Toto'sDad and Jesse414 like this.
  3. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

;);)
    In the days of my youth
    I was told what it was to be a man
    Now I've reached the age
    I've tried to do all those things the best I can
    No matter how I try
    I find my way to do the same old jam
    Good times, bad times
    You know I had my share
    When my woman left home
    With a brown eyed man
    Well, I still don't seem to care
    Sixteen I fell in love
    With a girl as sweet as could be
    Only took a couple of days
    Till she was rid of me
    She swore that she would be all mine
    And love me till the end
    When I whispered in her ear
    I lost another friend
    Good times, bad times
    You know I had my share
    When my woman left home
    With a brown eyed man
    Well, I still don't seem to care
    Good times, bad times
    You know…

Jesse414 likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Lots of good sayings on the subject, here is one my Uncle used to say:

"Better to be old and bent, than to be young and broke"

5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been broke and hungry before when I was young. I didn't know you could get assistance. I hadn't eaten in a week. I had no money. I jumped the fence of a garden and stole a head of cabbage. Boiled cabbage and salt. It was so good. Then another week of no food before I was finally able to get a temp job landscaping with a small advance. I worked over the Wendy's all you can eat salad bar. I brought truth to that advertising.

I made up my mind I would NEVER be broke again. I've come close. REAL close but I was never broke again and never hungry like that again. I learned that you can create work if you can imagine the jobs that people really don't want to do. Like cleaning out their rain gutters, shoveling snow, trimming trees and such.

I got into the electrical lineman apprenticeship 37 years ago and I've done well ever since. Even that was close sometimes, though. I've slept in my car and in a tent when I had no money for anything else. $6.99 an hour in Florida doesn't add up to much in a forty hour work week. But I made it through perseverance. I have a low tolerance of people who are lazy and won't work.

Jesse414 and telestratosonic like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been similarly broke to what TD described, and right now I'm more like Chunko with a house and cars but the only running car broke down today and the house has a leaking water heater.

While I'm not TD's rich people broke, I'm durn wealthy compared to much of the worlds population.

Chunkocaster, Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Indeed sir, indeed.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Count yourself fortunate.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I ran out of money during college due to a gas station I worked at closing suddenly by the IRS and I had rent due at the end of the month. Was I broke? No. I ate $0.25 boxes of Kraft macaroni and cheese and worked every odd job I could find until I could find a steady job again to pay my expenses. "Broke" is a mindset.

10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I grew up poor. Not sharecropper poor, but “food stamps”, “government cheese”, and “move when the landlord raises the rent” poor. I was an only child. Both my parents were smart, hardworking people with low paying blue collar jobs. I didn’t know we were poor until I was a teenager because they made sure I had everything I needed for as long as they could.

I’m a lawyer with my own practice and I do ok. I’m not wealthy, but I don’t have to work terribly long hours, or worry too much about money. I’m no smarter or harder working than my parents were. I just had better breaks and more opportunities.

Make no mistake, worrying about how you are going to pay for rent or food absolutely sucks. But once you have enough income to meet your basic needs, “rich” is more attitude than numbers. I know people making 7 figures who can’t sleep at night because they need - I mean NEED - a bigger beach house, because that is how they measure their own value. I know people making low 5 figures doing what they love. The second group is kinder, happier, healthier, a lot more fun to be around, and “rich” by my standards.

stinkey, PlainAllman and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. MarkSmith76

MarkSmith76 TDPRI Member

Rich people kill themselves when they go broke.

12. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I don't know but I'd think losing 400 million dollars would be a pretty traumatic experience even if I had 200 million left.

As it stands now I don't miss nothing I've never had. I don't know how well I would handle losing fortunes.

PlainAllman likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I WAS moderately wealthy, a couple million and a nice house in an affluent area. Then my wife and her lawyer changed my life forever.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

An Australian woman/ friend of mine went to California and Vegas. She remarked hat she was shocked at the number of homeless people. Then she sad how sad it was that a week later she no longer noticed them.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

If I had substantial cash I'd buy the old woolen mill down by the river and endow an arts school.

Culinary arts. Visual arts. Music. Dance.

I figure culinary arts comes first. Everybody gotta eat...

Someone needs to strike a blow against foo- foo "art" that adds little or nothing to life. IMO we need to embellish real life.

Might as well be me.

Jerry J and telemnemonics like this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Johnny Depp did not lose all that money on his own. If you read the Rolling Stone cover story, his monthly expenses/cash outflow were enormous. And they probably still are.

And even at that level - let’s say you had 200 million.

There are people on this board that would say - oh yeah I’m cool, I got that much money , I’m gonna get a real 1959 Les Paul.

And there are other ones of us that are like - yeah I know I’m worth $200 million but a $7000 R9 will do me just fine. I can’t believe I can afford even that.

17. Toto'sDad

My brother in law is one of those guys who can make money while he's asleep. He's had more money just handed to him than most people have working for it. He's not only a good business man, he's LUCKY. It's good to be good, it's even better to be lucky!

Tonetele likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Billionaires declare bankruptcy all the times, sometimes repeatedly.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I recall an interview with MC Hammer where my respect for him was greater at the end that at the beginning.

He was discussing his bankruptcy. He said he was broke. Then he turned to the camera and said, "But you know that MC Hammer broke isn't the same as 'brother-lost-his-job-and-can't-pay-the-rent' broke."

He knew the difference.

Chunkocaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.