I'd like to be broke like rich people are when they go broke.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Around Bakersfield when you go broke, you push a shopping cart around, and hold up a "will beg for alcohol sign." If you are Johnny Depp, you whine about losing four hundred million dollars through your management firm, sue them, and console yourself with the bare two hundred million dollars you have left.

If you're Wayne Newton, when you're broke, and nearly eighty years old, you get by performing on stage, and lament the fact that you only have about a hundred million dollar left to your name.

I'd kind of like to be broke and still have a hundred million dollars or so to sit around and count during my spare time.

stinkey, Pualee, Alamo and 21 others like this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've never been shopping cart broke, but I've been can't go out with you for dinner, or can't fix my car broke.
    Damned uncomfortable.
    I have an old friend who got too weird to hang out with... Hollywood actor...I heard he's broke, but I'm pretty sure he owns a chunk of Maui or something with his Hollywood brothers...there's broke and there's broke.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

"Mortimer! We're Back!!!"

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It's not so bad. Before you know it you'll be sleeping in again.

53f1663b5f62dba2b75fc416aec8d83e.jpg

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Being wealthy is not a permanent condition and can disappear quickly. You can be broke and worth millions at the same time, it all comes down to what you owe and your assets. I am not wealthy, broke to the point of having to do my own auto repairs again yet I have about $20,000 in guitars and a $40k box truck parked in my driveway. I have assets, but unless they become liquid, I am broke. When you are late on your phone bill, I am sure the phone company would like to know why you have such expensive guitars just hanging on the wall...same is true for the once wealthy.

DrPepper, Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

While not quite at that level something I’ve learned is that the average persons broke is very different that mine. I use to sympathize w/ those people ( many were relatives) and sometimes help ‘em out; untill I figured out that, “ I’m hurtin’ “ means that you might need to dip into savings, or cash in a matured bond. If I’m broke I have what’s in my wallet untill I sell something/earn some more.

boneyguy, Milspec, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  7. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My wonderful late Aunt Joan always used to say some like "Money is nice but your health is your wealth".

8. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My Mom lived in Paradise not far from Newton’s ranch on Pecos.
    This guy is one of the weirdest guys out. When he declared bankruptcy one of the issues was an unpaid Hay Bill.
    My folks watched that compound get constructed back in the day.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Love is the bread of Life and Money is the honey.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

At least it's well ventilated.

Toto'sDad and dented like this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, I do broke correctly. No half measures here. I could show these clowns levels of broke that would send them screaming into the night.
    Amateurs!

scrimmer, DrPepper, Vespa_One and 7 others like this.
  12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Gramma used to say, "It's better to be rich and healthy than sick and poor."
    Or...
    "Rich or poor...ya gotta have money."

13. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Most of us are about two paychecks away from being broke but we'll defend the billionaires' right to earn as much money as they possibly can with no limits. I guess some of us think we're protecting billionaires' rights so that one day, when we get to be a billionaire, we won't have to pay too much in taxes.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    DaveGo, Snfoilhat, Jerry J and 7 others like this.
  14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

I’m broke until I get my two guitars paid off in 6 months or less. By broke I mean I can’t buy more guitars. And I will stay at home for dinners. I like AMS and ZZounds in the fact that the payment is big enough to pay off fast, but not so big that it causes distress. I got a really good deal on two discontinued American Specials. Only cost 50 bucks each more than I could find a used one for. So win win.

Jesse414 and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Try telling that to the guy panhandling at the busy intersection, then let us know whether he spit on your windshield or in your open window.......or BOTH!

Shuster and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

That's a photo op shot. He doesn't have any trash bags full of crap. And, where's his put bull? He doesn't even have a sign that says "will beg for money or preloaded visa cards."

Greggorios, Torren61 and nojazzhere like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I've been broke, and hungry, been out on the road with all my belongings in a paper bag, willing to take a ride in either direction just to be going somewhere. That's broke.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a house, a couple vehicles etc but didn't have enough to buy a loaf of bread two weeks ago. It keeps things in perspective when you need to scrounge coins from the car console to make a small purchase. The girl at the local store refused a stack of coins too. Said they would not count them all out regardless of me making dollar stacks. Screw them, now my wallets full I will never be returning to that store.

We get punished for being broke too, all my bills and rates double when I cant afford to pay them.

19. Toto'sDad

Truly poor folks always say things like that. My momma used to say, one of these days it's gonna be better. It finally got better, but it wasn't one of these days, it would be one of these years, and that was down the road aways.

Torren61, nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Yo Gramma knowed what she was talkin' about!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.