1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'd like to add a 2nd footswitch....?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Five Aces, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Five Aces

Five Aces TDPRI Member

Looking for some experience from the group!
    I have the experience to solder, etc, but would appreciate some info...

Has anyone modified any of the Frontman Series amps so that you can use a dual footswitch? I'd like to mod my 25R & 65R so that they can also switch the reverb via a 2button footswitch (one button for the channel select & one button for the reverb off/on).
    Since this is an old fashion analog amp, I'm guessing since i'd be using a standard on/off type pushbutton footswitch, I'd have to replace the existing panel FS jack on the panel with probably a "stereo" type jack.

Anyone done it or can point me in the right direction for the info? I suppose the mod would be the same on any Frontman 25R, 65R, 212R that already has an existing channel select F/S... for that matter, most analog amps with a F/S...

2. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

If the reverb is not controlled from a footswitch at the moment, it would require a good bit of work to add the proper switching relay into the circuit. Do you have any experience with a mod of this type and are you able to read a schematic?

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure how those amps are set up , but my thought would just be to interrupt the wire going to the reverb adjustment pot. For a try anyway.

4. Five Aces

Five Aces TDPRI Member

Thanks for your responses...
    Yes, the reverb is not controlled from a footswitch at the moment. It is a mechanical Push-on-push-off pushbutton footswitch. And yes, I can read a schematic. I was looking at the schematic on my Frontman 65R and the wiper on the pot that controls Reverb (50K) either goes to the grounded side (CCW) of the pot for full off, or the other side of the pot (CW) for full on effect. First off, I'm not sure where, electrically, I should actually make the mod in the circuit for a switch. Looks like I can simply connect a switch to short/unshort the wiper to Grnd to turn off/on the Reverb effect. I don't think I need a relay in any way to do it, do I?

I'll deal with the physical issue after I understand what needs to be done electrically.....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  5. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

if you have the clean schematic I’m sure at least pretty sure that someone will give it a perusing. Two things off of the top of my head would be the lead dress/layout, and possibly needing to short a connection to ground as opposed to just opening it and possibly having it run away? Definitely not collectible and any work done to make it more serviceable to you seems like a plus

6. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

I would add the spst foot switch between C38 and R58. I would also wire the foot switch & jack similar to the Twin Reverb Reissue.

7. Five Aces

Five Aces TDPRI Member

To clarify, when you say "add the spst foot switch between C38 and R58", do you mean connect one end of the spst between C38 and R58 and the other end the GRND? Because the Twin Schematic shows the reverb circuit as taking that similar point to GRND via the spst... which is more along the lines of what I was proposing. ...difference being I was thinking of taking the wiper directly to GRND via the spst.
    (I hope I explained that clearly enough?)

8. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

Yeah it’s the exact same idea you had purposed just a different location. My thoughts are that it would probably be the easiest way to add the switch by lifting one end of each component from the PCB, soldering a jumper between lifted leads and then running a shielded wire to the new stereo jack with the shield connected to the sleeve ground. The foot switch would then be wired the same as the Twin schematic.

Chances are the frontman has PCB mounted pots and lifting just one lug would be a PiTa without removing the whole pot.

9. Five Aces

Five Aces TDPRI Member

That sounds great... that gives me enough info to plan exactly what needs to be done.

Now.... to execute the plan is going to take a little preparation. The existing panel jack is a standard TS 1/4" jack that is PC mounted. I need to remove that and find a replacement TRS "stereo" jack. I will have to get a panel mount type and will have to hardwire the existing footswitch connections (Ch.Sel.) plus add the new modified hardwire connections for the new "Reverb On/Off" switch to the jack.

It shouldn' be a hard or complicated mod. but I'm picky on details. I'll be looking online for a 1/4" TRS panel jack that will fit within the allowed internal space and hopefully it will match from the outside as if nothing was ever done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.