Iceland is larger than Ireland

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jul 13, 2019.

1. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

And she's making me feel like, I've never been Bjorn.

Manual Slim likes this.
  2. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

We'll see your Bjork and raise you a U2 :)

3. IrishTeleDan

I'm going to Reykjavik at the end of October. Looking at doing a few different tours. Northern lights, ice caves, glacier boat tours, whale watching tour and the blue lagoon are the main contenders. Any suggestions or advice on which to book and which tour operators are best?

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a friend from Iceland years back. She was stunningly beautiful and a total sweetheart. We were music buddies.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, I was intimidated by those eyes and her beauty at the time. She had a local accent so figured she was from here but she may have been from Icelandic decent. She had a new car and dressed well, was probably a good 5 years older than me. I was a delivery guy- truck driver for a fodder store wearing shorts, t shirt and steel capped boots.
    She did seem flirty but I still wasn't game to ask for a number at the time. I was happy enough to admire from afar and load the supplies in the trunk of her car for her.:)

aerhed, telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much everything I have done in Iceland I have done with my family based there, so not really able to comment on the commercial companies that operate I'm afraid.

What I can say from personal experience is that the whale watching tours are great - if you are lucky with the wildlife which I have been. It's, of course, unpredictable. But I can tell you that it gets seriously cold out there very quickly on the boat with he icy spray and the (ever present) wind so don't underestimate that like I did. Take layers and very warm hats and your binoculars. But ona good day, you'll be rewarded with close ups of whales and seals and birds.

If you are new to Iceland, the golden Circle coach tour is very good value, giving you a bunch of sites and lots of cultural facts. Yes it's touristy, but it's good.

DO get out to see the waterfalls - Gulfoss, etc. Unbelievably beautiful places with permanent rainbows especially wonderful if the weather is clear and sunny.

Dress for all weathers. It's an island, most days you'll get variety.

DO go to Þingvellir where the world's first democratic parliament was created. It is a stunning natural valley It is on the San Andreas fault line which surfaces here and you can literally peer into the gaping steaming gash where the two plates are above surface and are apart. Visceral!
    https://www.thingsites.com/thing-site-profiles/thingvellir-iceland?setlang=en

The Northern lights are astonishing but you can spend days looking for them and not find them. Expensive disappointment - or sheer wonder.

DO take s flight to Akureyri on the north eastern side and tour the volcanic region there. Amazing. Get a window seat. If you are lucky, the flight is clear and you see wonderful Iceland form the air.

https://www.minube.net/tag/volcanoes-akureyri-c290640

Do spend time just walking around Reykjavik. The people are wonderful, friendly and open and most speak extremely good English. Super easy.

Do Take your own vodka - the bars are super expensive.

The glacier boat tours I'd like to do but haven't.

The Blue Lagoon is now a hyper commercial hotel and spa complex. You likely know this, but it's not a natural place at all, it is a by product of the nearby Svartsengi geothermal power station! Expensive and depressing for purists like me. But it is fun being there and drinking a beer in the theraputic warm water.

Do go to the local swimming baths in the neighborhood. Naturally heated, with different temperature pools and loads of fun shoots for the kids. They take swimming seriously.

DO eat the local lamb. It's exported to scandi countries, but not elsewhere. It is tender with a strong flavour. we like Laekjarbrekka. Old school charm, great food, but rather cramped.
    https://www.tripadvisor.dk/Restaura...s-Laekjarbrekka-Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html

IrishTeleDan likes this.
  7. IrishTeleDan

Thanks so much for that detailed reply..a lot of good info to digest! one thing we are definitely going to roll the dice on is a Northern lights tour

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

no probs happy to help. You'll love it there.
    Also a tip for the top, get bags of Keinur, a local donut like bread that is flavoured with cardamom oil. A great meal replacement programme with fresh coffee. You'll burn the calories walking.
    https://www.biteoficeland.com/kleinur-icelandic-doughnuts/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

It's so God forsaken that Ridley Scott uses Iceland as alien planets in his movies.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Silly question.....they came to America and "blended" right in!

11. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Yeah, without volcanoes, it is small-time.
    I read somewhere years ago that Greenland and Iceland should switch names.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Eradicating ignorance one post at a time.

13. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I just had to explain why I cackled!

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Charming.

getbent likes this.
  15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

If you're offended, you misinterpreted my intent. If I want to say something negative, I keep my mouth shut. I was commenting on the relationship between intelligence, ignorance, and knowledge. None of it was directed at you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I figured, just checkin'...

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Give Iceland back to the Irish. No, wait...

Sean Mac likes this.
  18. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Iceland has more coastline too.

(I did the math in my head.)

19. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They made it to Newfoundland as well around 1000 AD. L'anse aux Meadows is the name of the site where the Vikings settled for a few years. It's a World Heritage site. The settlement has been reconstructed and it's a popular destination for tourists.

20. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

So, that’s no bankers in Iceland at all then...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.