Ice picky blues jr?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strowbri86, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

I recently got a new Blues Jr IV. I've had a few through the years. After going through a bunch of amps I decided to go back to the old classic as it's always been the most tonally reliable for what I go for.

Knowing the drill on this amp, I immediately swapped out the speaker for a Cannabis Rex (which I am very familiar with and prefer), the power tubes for JJs and the 12ax7s for russian Electro Harmonix.

I plug it in to mess around, and holy cow is it ice picky. Like.. 20% more harsh top end than I've ever had with one of these. And especially with the Cannabis.. that's a surprise. I had to turn the treble down to 4 before it wasn't harsh, but then it's lacking all the top end too.

The only thing I haven't used before is the Russian 12ax7s. But I got those because they -supposedly- affect a good bottom and round top end to the tone.

Right now I am playing music through the amp to break it in for a while. But I'm really surprised how harsh the top end is. Not sizzly, not chimey, harsh. If I push the fat boost, which I usually love and prefer, it's only worse.

Before I assume it must be the ehx 12ax7s is there something I might be missing here?

2. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

I owned one BJ IV for about a year before selling it. Lots of BJ Owners experiment with different speakers. I used an Eminence RED-White-Blues with very good success. I recommend this speaker because it smooths out the highs and also gives Telecasters and Stratocasters nice Low End punch also.

davidchagrin and Strowbri86 like this.
  3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Why not try the original speaker and tubes?

Maguchi and OldPup like this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Let the CRex break in.

5. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

This. Biggest complaint with new amps is icepickiness. Let the speaker break in before changing it imo.

emisilly, Blackmore Fan and PhredE like this.
  6. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

how old is it?

old filter caps can enable ice-pick

7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with the suggestion to let the speaker in before you judge. If it is still there, switch to a smooth cone speaker and be happy.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  8. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

It takes at least 20 hrs of hard playing to break in the C, Rex. I use JJ's in my JR .... they sound decent. This amp will benefit by using higher end tubes ... especially the power tubes. When I was using the amp every day it would eat them until I cooled the bias down. These days I find that the C30 is more to my liking.

Blackmore Fan and Strowbri86 like this.
  9. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

I'm just surprised because the two other times I've put in a new CRex there was hardly any harshness at all, and this is pretty extreme. So I was wondering if the 12ax7s can also cause it.

10. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Speaker not broken in. I know others have said it, but I thought I’d add my one English penny’s worth to the mix, just in case anyone cares what I think :D

Hiker and Bongoslade like this.
  11. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Just an idea. I dime the bass and 50 cent the treble and mid. Seems to help get a deeper tone. I like a bassy tele tone. Lemme know what happens.

Matthias likes this.
  12. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I add a MXR 10 band EQ on the top of my Pro Jr with a Cannabis Rex in a 1x12 cab and filter the treble and bass to taste, adding mids. This allows more control over the tone.

13. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Yes!

I find that the difference in the cone design - like smooth vs. ribbed makes a huge difference when all the other parameters stay the same.

I've done some experimenting with Weber speakers where the only difference in speakers is the cone design and there is a very significant difference that even my old worn out ears can appreciate :).

Milspec likes this.
  14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Maybe a lower pick-up height too, and maybe rolling the tone off the guitar a bit. I find myself tweaking all these things to get the most out of my BJIII.

superjam144 likes this.
  15. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I use those with the treble on 1 or 2 with original speaker and the guitar tone rolled-off about 75%.

Surprising with that speaker you get ice-pick even if not broken in.

16. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A 250pf cap across R3. First stage plate resistor mellows out the treble and fattens up the amp.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

maybe turn the reverb all the way off & see if that improves things? I have an older BJ and the reverb is super-harsh & spiky. I use a pedal if I want more than a whisper of verb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.