1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ibanez WH10v2 Wah - true-bypass and mods!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Turbogoon, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

Hi All,

I used the diagram attached (from another forum) to do a true-bypass on the wh10 as it was taking a noticeable amount of high end out my signal.

The 3pdt is a TIGHT fit. Packing the PCB board back on top continuously give shorting problems/ issues (even after adding tape to the switch soldering).

So what I did in the end was completely dremel away the cross-hair knob inside the footpad (the one that touches the switch on the outside) - although it took me quite a while as it is cramped in there!

This enabled me to lift the 3pdt higher out of the way of the circuit board. In doing this, you have to remove one of the two foam strips underneath the toe of the footpad - a nice addition that enables more swing travel to the wah pedal.

The WH10v2 apparently has more boost potential than the original (depending on where you put the knob). Some people complain about this not being true to original, but its handy if you play overdriven a lot because the boost enables the wah to come out a little stronger in the mix .

I've also removed all the extra 2n2 capacitors already (there are three - these are not present in the original circuit and can be easily found and reomved) I'm not 100% certain on the difference in sound - I think the tone is less shrill.

Anyway, I now have the perfect wah. this is a very well balanced, vocal wah. Its better than my Area 51 ! (I sold that a while ago!). It is a different animal - more synthy on distortion, but VERY expressive clean. It can also go after fuzz quite happily.

Attached Files:

2. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

wha? no love for the wh10v2? c'mon....

3. CaptainVirk

CaptainVirk TDPRI Member

Thanks for the post!

I enjoy this wah a lot, especially for cleans. It's very sweet, as you noted.
    Do you have any photos of the finished product?

4. beattiep

beattiep NEW MEMBER!

I decided to mod my v2 as a beginner in modding. I followed information that had me remove the bypass components and then put a switch in for true bypassing. Now that it is tb, the wah has an extreme volume loss. When the wah is engaged you cannot hear it unless the amps maxed. Do you know what might have caused the volume drop . Were the bypass components part of keeping the volume up.

Again, I am not too advanced so might have made a mistake. Let's try and fix it so I can get the jf tones again

5. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

sorry - I can't help (too late, even if I could I guess!) because I basically just followed the tracings on the PCB to the input and output.

If I were to guess, I would say that you should check your 3PDT again - those are tricky. However, if you are getting SOME signal, then it might not be the best place to start. I'm sure someone here will help if you send detailed pics.

Don't give up on it!

6. rhcpfer

rhcpfer NEW MEMBER!

Now the sound of the wah is like the vintage wh-10 ?

7. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

I don't have an original to compare it to - but it sounds darn good now!

8. CrosserX

CrosserX NEW MEMBER!

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but since it's a wh10v2 thread I'll take my chance.

I've got a problem with my Ibanez WH10v2, for some time now when I use the wah, the effect is on and it works fine up to the point when I close the pedal. When I close it definetely the sound loses the wah effect almost like it's being bypassed and also it loses intesity, you can barely here the tone. It has a threshold of some kind, if I don't close the wah fully it's all good, but I soon as pass the 90%, so to speak, of closure I get this problem. Can someone help me, thanks alot.

9. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

try some de-oxit on the potentiometer - that is the most likely problem. Open it right up, get in there and spray the daylights out of it while rotating the pot.

10. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I loved the wah when I had it but the switch sensitivity really bugged me so I had to let it go. Glad you found a way to bond with it. It really sounds great.

11. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I miss my original WH10!!! :(

this re-issue Wah is so under rated....

12. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

damn straight.

I made this vid to guide people who wanted to the mods. There are some sound samples there too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVZyfr4fh0

13. raulzephyr

raulzephyr NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone
    I want to make my wh10v2 truebypass and i downloaded the diagram but i don't know where to solder the input and output cables on the pcb. I'm not sure about r31 and r30 resistors.
    If anyone could please give some advice about it or send a picture so i could see where to solder it would be really helpful!
    Thanks!!

14. Turbogoon

Turbogoon Tele-Meister

If I remember correctly, I traced the in and out to the respective resistors and removed the side from the PCB that led to the out/in. I then soldered the wire to the resistor.

15. Hilton Reis

Hilton Reis NEW MEMBER!

Hi Turbogoon
    Do you have a photo of the true bypass your WH10, because do not understand electronics and will have to change mine too

16. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Thread revival. I’m in the market for one of these. Wondering what the true bypass mod is worth. No local shops near me have them, but they are on Reverb Mint and New for 90-100. The only one being sold already modded for true bypass is asking 140 (and it’s not mint). Seems awfully steep to me, but I’ve never modified a pedal before myself. Thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.