Ibanez TSA 15. Opinions

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strato50, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Going to pick up the head version tomorrow. Got it for an unbelievable price. It’s mint with the foot switch. Seems like a cool little 6v6 amp. Anyone own one? I like that it’s switchable to 5 watts.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I guess no love for these little amps.

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I have been interested in the Ibanez TSA 5TVR amp myself .

[​IMG]

4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I've got one. I put it into a 1936 Sears Silvertone floor radio with a WGS G10 C/S 75-watt speaker.

It's fantastic. QUIET. Clear, rich cleans. Fine EQ sweep. I use the onboard boost often but the onboard Tube Screamer rarely. Takes pedals fine, too. The 15/5-watt attenuation feature is handy, indeed.

The speaker matches/serves the head really well. Smooths whatever spikiness these heads are sometimes said to have.

I use it for most of my at-home playing and some recording. For a bigger venue, you'd want speakers with some punch. I love its flexibility in that regard, with its 1x8, 2x8, 1x4, and 1x16 ohm jacks.

These things are great fun, great tools, and great bargains. Enjoy!

tery, emisilly and Strato50 like this.
  5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I think for 80 bucks I’m going to get it this afternoon when the games over. The guy wants a pedal so selling the amp. I have some fine 16 and 8 ohm speakers to run with it. The pics he sent looks to be mint. He bought back July.

JustABluesGuy, tery and emisilly like this.
  6. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I have one of those. Very cool amp. The only bad thing about it is the reverb. It has a real spring tank but it's tiny. The reverb isn't very lush and it has a metallic ringing quality to it. If you like just a dash of verb it's fine. I just like a wetter, fat reverb.

LPTyler and tery like this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Well... I played one a couple of times... not bad, not WOW anywhere nevertheless... The only thing is I founded it quite low volume for a 15 watter

8. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Somewhere here there's a user thread for this cool thing. I had one some years ago and was always satisfied with it.

Congrats and enjoy!

9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Got the little head very impressed. Great tone. Like the TS built in.

Attached Files:

10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Very Cool :cool: ... Congratulations !

11. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Had to put some $$$ into it, has a few cheap parts inside - also doesn't have the balls of a Blues Jr for live gigs but stays clean all the way up and good with pedals, as long as you back the treble down you're good to go. The tube screamer channel really sounds good live with everything wide open as long as the drummer isn't too heavy and again with the treble backed down.

I still have to try it one of these days with an OD pedal goosing the tube screamer channel in a live club setting. I get a really good guitar recording sound with it - am using JJ power tubes with an old JBL 12 inch speaker into an Audio Technica vocal mike.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  12. RoscoeElegante

As a heads-up to other owners, what cheap parts are in there that merit keeping an eye on/suspecting if things go bad? What replacement parts source do you recommend for the amp's weak links?

Thanks!

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Poor mans Princeton. You should hear it with a topanga and fulltone. As good or better than a Princeton. I have a set of black plate RCA 6v6s for it as well.

14. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

In case of loudness there are a lot of possibilities with an efficient speaker. So I never had any problems to play it in rehearsals or small club gig situations.

15. dmvksv

dmvksv TDPRI Member

I have one. Great clean tones, takes pedals well.I'm not a big fan of the tubescreamer circuit though, but the boost function works great. I tried it with numerous speakers, best one I've found with it is an8 ohm Cannibas Rex. It's not a loud 15 watts by any means, although my music room is pretty big. It sounds good at low volumes though, so it's my amp of choice when I can't crank my Marshall.

tery likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Wish I didnt sell my head.
    Does Fender chime great.
    Did not use OD chan.

17. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I don't really have an answer to this. Tech that I completely trust said it had garbage Asian parts in the power section which blew out, amp went dead. A few months ago the bass pot shorted itself out and stopped working. A few weeks after that was fixed by a different tech it started turning itself off for about 1/4 second then pops back on right away. Not a power cord or breaker, fuse holders are good. If I need a reliable head for gigs this isn't it. Can probably get $100 on a trade-in but might as well keep it for recording in my studio.

Turns itself off on a take I don't care...just do another overdub - gets a great sound, check out my Surf Original using that amp and an old tele - demo in process. Have to create a bridge and put drums on it. Great bass part by my guy from the Sixties created in his studio 1,000 miles away.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    RoscoeElegante likes this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

Niiiice! Got a whole Saul Goodman spooked by his soul thing going on.

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

FYI, if you are going to gig with it, bump up
    both fuses.. There are some articles on this.

Strato50 likes this.
  20. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I own one. I bought it for it’s clean tones. I don’t use the TS function, but the boost is nice. I do wish it was a little louder.

Strato50 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.