1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ibanez Talman Series TCM50NT

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jammin'John, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Hi boy's,
    Do any of you have this acoustic electric ?

[​IMG]JJ

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Nope! For acoustic guitars, I only like traditional folk styles: no electonics, no cutaways, no laminates, no Made-in-Chinas.

The electric Talmans, however, look like loads of fun - visually, an appealing cross between a Tele and a Strat, with all kinds of pickup configurations to choose from.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Not familiar with that at all. It looks very cool, and I've had many great Ibanez's over the years. However, I once bought a thin body acoustic/electric guitar. It had terrible tone compared to any of the full bodies I've owned. Thin, plunky, and lacking sustain, both acoustic and plugged in. Saw Steve Vai play one in concert one time and it sounded the same; I think he was playing a Carvin. I think you need depth to the body to get that deep full-tone and resonation. Unless someone comes along and demonstrates a thin body acoustic that sounds good to me, I'll stick with my more traditional models.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Tried one before, did not care for it.
    Do find the electric models interesting thou.

5. Jammin'John

What
    What didn't you like about it when plugged into a PA system,not a guitar amp ?
    A PA or an acoustic amp is the only way to go.

JJ

6. Jammin'John

Solid body guitars are proven to have sustain and body to their tone so a guitar doesn't need to be full bodied to have a full tone.
    A traditional acoustic guitar is known to have issues when you try to make it loud.
    Sure a traditional guitar has the advantage when not plugged in but that advantage disappears as soon as you try to make it loud.
    I am only interested as to how this guitar works whilst going into a full range PA system. Loud.
    The guitar that you bought had a piezo system,this one has a magnetic system with a preamp and eq.
    Most full size nice acoustics that I've heard sound thin and plinky through the PA and when you try and eq a full bodied sound they want to feed back and howl.
    I was hoping that this one might work much better than the typical piezo under the saddle setup that I think sounds awful.

JJ

7. Zipper

Zipper TDPRI Member

Yes, I have had that model Talman for about 6 years. The guitar is light and very comfortable to play. The neck feels like an electric. When plugged into an acoustic amp or PA system through DI, it sounds great. The only change I have made is to add a thin strip of copper tape inside by the string ends to ground to the output jack. When I first got it the guitar had a noticeable hum to it, but the grounding solved the problem. Another thing that changed were the strings, I installed white bronze strings and that gave it a little more bright sound. The pickup and controls work great. Just be aware that the sound unamplified is not suitable for much volume, but amplified it is great. The Ibanez tuners are also top notch. This sound very full and not plinkyl through the PA.

8. Jammin'John

Thanks very much mister Zipper.
    You kinda answered a question that I haven't asked yet. Do you use acoustic bronze strings ?
    I like a solid G string,not a wound one. Are you using a regular acoustic set with a wound G ?
    When I first saw these guitars I figured that they would have an under saddle piezo AND a magnetic pickup because I saw the preamp AND the electric guitar pickup.
    I figured that the magnetic pup would not need a preamp.
    I guess it does need one and I guess the reason why is probably because acoustic type brass/bronze strings don't generate a strong enough electrical current to drive that magnetic pickup hard enough to get a good strong signal.

JJ

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks cool

10. Zipper

Zipper TDPRI Member

http://www.juststrings.com/ghsacousticguitarwhitebronze.html

The above is a link to where I get my GHS white bronze strings. The 11-48 extra light set is what I finally settled on. The G string is .20 and wound. These string are magnetic and generate a strong signal for the pickup. The nanoflex pickup receives vibration from the strings and also from the body, making a great signal combination.

11. Zipper

Zipper TDPRI Member

In a live play situation through a PA the feedback was substantial. I first solved this by covering the sound hole with light cardboard. Then when I was a little more flush with cash I invested in the http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bbe-acoustimax-sonic-maximizer-preamp-pedal

This has a great notch filter and other attributes that make the live sound great. I have also played it through a twin reverb, Peavy Bandit, line six and Behringer Acoustic amp.

12. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I like the looks... George Jetson's acoustic.

13. peeweepete

peeweepete Tele-Meister

I have a TCY10 and I'm not very happy wigh it. It sounds thin (both plugged and unplugged).

14. Jammin'John

I was wondering about that. I guess it isn't that feedback resistant and I don't think I could pack it that good on my motorcycle.

JJ

15. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

As much as I love my Talman electric, I've never once been able to convince myself the Talman acoustics look any good. Never heard one that I know of.

16. Jammin'John

I wish they stuck an under saddle acoustic pickup and preamp into a Talman electric. That would be great.

JJ

17. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I think it's a fun guitar and it plays like an electric. Acoustically it's bass shy, but I got it to amplify, I have a regular dreadnought for messing about at home. That one doesn't sound great hooked up with a pickup but it is a cheapo Epi anyway.

I've never been much of an acoustic player, so the Ibanez does make me want to play acoustic more, probably because it plays like my Teles! Looks cool too IMO, really different if you like that sort of thing.

talmanacoustic.jpg

18. Jammin'John

It's a great value and looks and plays well. Nothing wrong with that.
    I'm glad the pickup is near the neck. That's a better spot.

JJ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.