Ibanez SD-9 -- any users?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by birv2, Jun 22, 2011.

1. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up an old SD-9 today. I understand this was the precursor to the TS-9, and when SRV used the TS-9 and everyone followed him, Ibanez discontinued the SD-9.

I was looking for a pedal that could do everything from light overdrive to full on distortion (was actually considering a Rat when this became available), and I think this might do the trick.

Any tips or tricks? I play blues, tele into Pro Jr or DB115.

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I used to have access to one, but no longer do. I loved that pedal.

Two big things I remember is the Tone knob on the SD-9 has a much wider range than its more famous cousin, and the low end is much more obvious, even at lower gain settings. With the gain set at noon or further counterclockwise you're squarely in TS-9 territory.

3. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I modded my Ts9 to a Ts808 and the only thing I could tell was it was less caustic, bright, earpiercing overdrive and more of a warmer OD tone, (whcih sort of sounds like your SD-9). SRV used the 808 so odds are you're into the same tone territory. He, however, used two of them, used heavy gauge strings, and.......was SRV, so I think your SD-9 is going to work for you if you experiment with the knobs and try to get the tone dialed in. I have my level at 10:00 and gain at 11:00 with the tone knob at noon. This is also going to vary per rig and per ears, so good luck!....and....enjoy!

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had access to one once. I thought of it as a "Classic Rock" distortion. Everything I played had a '70's kind of tone like Journey. As much as I dislike Journey, I liked the SD-9.

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Used as a solo boost into a Marshall = Instant Adrian Vandenberg. Love, love, love the tones that he got out of them.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Sonic Distortion SD9

The SD9 was made at the same time as the TS9 , I had one for years and I liked it. It was more of a overdrive than a distortion to my ears, it definately has more gain than your typical Tubescreamer.
    They also made a SM9 Super Metal and some other 9 series OD pedals.

7. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

I've still got both SD-9 and TS-9 (I love the Ibanez 9 series pedals). The SD-9 is very sensitive to tone setting, generally you run it 9-11 oclock, any more is painfully bright. I probably like it best as an OD/booster, gain all the way down, vol to taste. With the gain full up the SD-9 is a real paint peeler, definately cops an 80's distortion sound with ease.

8. dcooper830

dcooper830 Tele-Meister

I have one and I find that it's similar to a Boss DS-1.

Very bright gainy distortion. It starts to sound very rich and full if I turn the TONE knob down to 9 or 10 oclock.

One problem with it is... with some amps (not all) you can still hear faint distortion in the background in bypass mode.

It's a classic though! I bought mine for nostalgic reasons a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

Cause I remember back in '82 a friend of mine had one and we used to jam in his basement and it sounded really good to us back then.

He had a Hondo Flying V, an SD-9, and an Alamo solid state amp.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My first OD pedal, it was GREAT, should've never let it get away.

10. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Used this out at the jam last night. My tele into my Pro Jr. The band got loud (funny how that always happens), and I had to boost my volume up accordingly and the PJ was getting some nice tube overdrive. I stomped on the SD-9 for a couple solos. A friend in the audience said that my overall tone was good, and the SD-9 just gave it some more oomph. I had tone and gain around 11, level just above unity.

One question -- does anyone know whether this has symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping?

11. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Mine recently died. It was part of my sound for years: I mainly used it as a clean boost with the distortion knob turned WAY down. Once, I was playing at a wedding reception and during a break, somebody turned the distortion knob to full.

When we came back from a break, I was using a bandmates Gibson ES-something hollow body. When it came to the guitar solo I stepped on the pedal and instant "deer in headlight" response. SQUEEEEEEEL! I froze. Before I regained the composure to step on the pedal again I probably deafened a dozen people.

I ended up superglueing the knobs in the exact spot I always used them in. Once a buddy sat in with my band and I remember walking back from the bar to see him frantically trying to adjust the Pedal with a WTF look on his face.

FenderGyrl and BB like this.
  12. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Still own an SD9 I bought in the early 80s. With tone all the way down it sounds like the super fat grits Santana sound. Bring up the bright and it passes TS9 territory and right into RockYoFaceOffLand.

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Zombie thread but as long as it’s open...

I bought an original SD-9 and TS-9 as a pair for $140. Used into clean Fender amps I preferred the SD-9. It seemed to get ok overdrive on up into distortion territory.

14. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I like to shake things up every 7 years or so. :D

Bill and Paul in Colorado like this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Since I last posted I bought a Maxon SD-9. The current Ibanez has some mods I'm not fond of. It's not on my board at the moment, but I tend to swap out the second dirt pedal on my main board a lot. Right now it's an Ibanez Jet Driver, I think?

16. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a Way Huge Geisha Drive which is supposedly a SD-9 clone. Cheers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.