Ibanez Pickup Date Codes

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Torren61, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Any of you guys know how to decipher Ibanez codes on the back of their pickups? I have a bid in for some Flying Fingers pickups that are supposed to be from the 1970s. The codes on the back are 26812 and 25812.

2. Torren61

Here's what I DO know. Super 70 pickups were Ibanez answer to creating a PAF sounding pup. They should say Super 70 on the baseplate and the codes seem to be something like this: 16705 would mean they are from 1976 because of the six. The baseplate of 1977 pups should read 17xxx and '78s would read 18xxx. Super 70 pups should have an alnico 8 magnet and are weaker than Super 80 pups. The general consensus is that Super 70 pickups sound very good as do the hotter Super 80 pups and the Flying Fingers MAY be the same as Super 70 pups. Well I own both Super 70 and Flying Fingers pups.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You may already know all there is to know!
    I bought an Ibanez 7 string pickup identified by the "made in Japan" on the base and nothing else.
    Couldn't find much info but I wasn't searching for the vintage stuff, that might be what is known about where the recent stuff is just what came in the guitar.
    Alnico 8 mags huh?
    Was that an unobtaniumesque attempt to attain unobtainable toanz?
    Or just cheap and plentiful then and there?

I'm thinking, were old PAFs really the thing in the late '70s?
    Seems like it was into the '80s that those particular pickups became "better"?
    But maybe Japan was already going retro in their love of all things American at that time?

4. Torren61

I'm parroting what I've been reading. The guys on the other forums describe the sound of that pickup as having PAF qualities.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know much about them but I was looking at some IBZ humbuckers a couple weeks ago and seems Dimarzio made them for Ibanez. Apparently they are similar to super distortions and Steve Morse pickups.

My teacher had a Ibanez destroyer back in the early 80s and I remember he swapped the pickups out for invaders. I guess if you want to play some hair metal the invaders might be a better option.

Maybe he swapped them because the originals were too PAF like?:)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

You know a lot about them as it is! Sorry I can’t be of more help, just came here to say Super 70s are some of my favorite pickups.

In fact, many Ibanez pickups from the 70s and early 80s are really nice. I had 70s in a Roadstar and a V-2 in a Destroyer, both killer in their own ways. Just played a late 70s AR with Super 58s, beautiful sound. Love that era of Ibanez, amazing value.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

Dating super 70's was described correctly by a previous poster on this thread. Early maxon/super 70's used alnico magnets, some time in the early 80's the super 70's switched to ceramic magnets. I have never found a way to date vintage super 80's. I have been on the ICW Ibanez Collectors World forum for a long time. There is discussion about dating super 80's but nothing has seemed to stick. Super 80's are NOT super 70's with flat poles and a cover. They are completely different sounding pickups.
    Ibanez has really confused things regarding their pickups. They now have super 80's again with the flying finger covers, which look similar to the old ones but are different. They also have several variations of super 58's, all which are different from the vintage ones.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.