Ibanez pedal problem

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dave42, Jun 14, 2021.

1. dave42

dave42 TDPRI Member

I'm way more an acoustic player, so I thought this may be a question for a more electric guitar forum...

I have an Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus full sized pedal I've had for 12-15 years. Used it on my acoustic rig all of that time. A couple of weeks ago while rehearsing I noticed static coming from it when the guitar is being played. No strum and it is quiet as it should be. I used it with the electric guitar.. same issue. Fortunately for me I picked another one up 2-3 years ago from local CL as a backup.

What to do with the static one? I opened it up to have a look and realized it would cost a lot to track down/test everything on that board.

What's the call here? Is there a simple thing to look for? Or just call it a day for this 12-15 yr old pedal and start looking for another?

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Static will usually mean something is mechanically loose or touching something else in my experience. Check to see if the jacks and pots are tight. Also check the screw that holds the circuit board to the enclosure. Make sure the pots are not close to touching one another inside the enclosure. Check for loose or damaged wires.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If the above does not remedy the problem...

First: rule out your interconnect cables as the cause before you crack open the pedal.

Reflow the solder joints where power and cable jacks connect to the circuit or PC board.

If that doesn't fix it, chances are the voltage is down in a portion of the circuit because one or more electrolytic (polarized) capacitors has slipped out of spec. In a device that old, caps start to dry out and walk off the job.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. dave42

dave42 TDPRI Member

Jacks and pots are tight. Contact cleaner used on these parts.. no help.
    Cables are good. I moved the pedal from my acoustic board to the electric board. Completely different set of cables... same problem.

Static is only when unit is turned on and guitar is played.
    When unit is turned on and nothing is being played it's quiet.
    Turning pots, wiggling cords, etc, no static.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.