Ibanez Pat Metheny PM2 Antique Amber

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by eugenedunn, Aug 11, 2013.

1. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

^^^^^^That is amazing! It looks like such a nice fit as if it were stock with that guitar. Give us a sound clip clean, dirty, and with different tone settings rolled off, etc. From what I can gather from internet reviews, it seems like it's like a P90 but a little smoother and more high end.

2. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Ebony Tailpiece Installation on a Jazz Box

[​IMG]

I just installed an ebony tailpiece.

Classic vibe, but didn't really change the voicing too much, as there is a solid metal frame that the strings thread through. It retains the solid electrical grounding through the strings.

'Might be the last mod I do.... a year later, I still feel it's a wonderful playing axe, by the way.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  3. eugenedunn

Ibanez Pat Metheny PM2 Guitar with Ebony Tuning Buttons and....

Ebony tuning buttons added, and I've made some foam f-hole plugs for high volume playing......

Any other PM2, PM20, PM120, PM200 players on the forum?

I'd be curious if anyone else has done any modifications they'd like to share.

Attached Files:

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice guitar! Good choices for mods. I remember this thread from when it was originally posted. What kind of jazz are you playing and what amp are you using with the PM?

5. eugenedunn

Hiya Paul......

I think this axe is just where I want it now. The Charlie Christian pickup is pretty darn versatile.... there's a lot of range in useful tones...from dark jazzy to airy & bright enough for bluesy stuff. It supposedly is a low resistance fat single coil using thicker winding wire, but I get plenty of volume out of it.

I bought the PM2 because I'm big on Bossa. (^_^)/.......but heck, I play everything on it. A year later, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it.

I have one primary amp.... it works well in so many situations: a 40-watt Allen Old Flame head, running KT66's. I switched over to a solid state rectifier, which seems to agree with the KT66's. The Old Flame was originally inspired by the blackface Super Reverb.... but I like it so much better because of the 3-knob reverb and big iron. I use a 12AY7 V1 preamp tube for glassier cleans.

I have an elaborate home 2-amp setup, but playing out, I usually run that Allen head into a 2x10 open back cab, loaded with a couple 50-watt 1966 Jensen C10N's. The speakers were reconed about 20 years ago and the topmost speaker has a Weber beam blocker on it. The whole rig is on an elevated amp dolly.

6. eugenedunn

Noooo! I can't believe I'm the only one playing one here. C'mon, where's the luv?

7. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking jazzbox - I'd love to buy a Metheny in the future. Cool mods.

8. eugenedunn

Ibanez Pat Metheny PM2 buying experience

I'm not an affiliate of Sweetwater, but my buying experience with them was amazing......I never found an actual PM2 in my local area's guitar stores, so turning to the internet was my best option.

The Ibanez Pat Metheny PM2 was backordered for a long time, but my Sweetwater rep really kept me in the loop about inventory updates.

When those few axes came into their facility, he told me right away. Then he asked my preference.....even though they were all "antique amber", I said look for a darker one with some nice grain pattern, if possible.

They take photos of inventory and he even sent me hi-res shots of the axe he personally selected for me. What customer service, Man.

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice!

Although I still think it's a shame that they discontinued THIS Pat Metheny model...
    [​IMG]

10. eugenedunn

Yeah, I totally agree..... love that cool little cutaway.... so unique.

11. Blazer

It's also funny if you take a look at the Ibanez guitar that Metheny has been playing since the eighties, on which the current model is based...
    [​IMG]
    That the placing of the pickup is different.

Because of it being at the same place of the neck pickup of his old "Toothbrush" Gibson.
    [​IMG]
    That guitar is right up there with Willie Nelson's "trigger" on being one of the most beat up guitars ever.

12. eugenedunn

Actually, the newer Pat Metheny models have 2 extra frets so that it appears that the pickup is closer to the end of the fretboard.

However, the pickup is actually in the SAME ideal 24th fret interval as those older guitars! That 24th fret interval is at a resonant node of the scale length.

Cool huh? I thought that attention to detail was a great feature.

13. Blazer

Oops my bad.

14. eugenedunn

I saw that pickup placement subject come up before on one of the jazz guitar forums, when I first began researching the Metheny Signature models.....that's how I found out about it.

Simple & streamlined, when you think about how Ibanez decided to redesign the earlier models to retain that humbucker pickup placement. Looks good too, I'd say.

[​IMG]

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I see that they also make a PM200. It's a little pricier ($3.5K)

16. eugenedunn

Ibanez Pat Metheny PM100 Started It All....

Way back in 1996, Ibanez introduced the PM100. The first version of the prototypes that Metheny was touring with..... I guess when people first see the unique double cutaways, they're either fascinated or repulsed. Call me "deer in the headlights" (^_^)

In later years, Ibanez started introducing both high priced production versions of his touring guitars and lower priced versions. So far, 6 models have come out. With it's 24.75 scale length, the PM100 started it all like this:
    • Produced: 1996 – 2010, primary single pickup touring model for 15 years
    • Double cutaway in black or natural
    • Top, back, sides maple, 1 piece mahogany neck, ebony fretboard & bridge, PM100 tailpiece
    • Single Super 58 humbucker pickup

Attached Files:

17. eugenedunn

Then it was followed up by the PM20, and then......

First of the lower priced Pat Metheny Signature models. I'd like to see what that "transparent black" finish looks like in person....looks dark brownish to me.

• Produced: 1997 – 1999, briefly produced, lower priced version of primary touring model PM100
    • Single cutaway in transparent black (looks dark brown) or natural
    • Top, back, sides maple, 1 piece mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard & bridge, PM20 tailpiece

Attached Files:

18. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

I can understand - somewhat - the "deer in the headlights" at the unorthodox double cut but, in fact, it's a great feature for playability and upper fret access.

I don't play up there a lot but on a PM100 and PM120 found myself very comfortably getting into higher ranges I rarely go on other guitars.

19. eugenedunn

Ibanez PM120 and PM35 models introduced later....

I haven't played either a PM100 or PM120......I'd love to git mah mitts on one. The thinner depth PM120 is actually really fascinating to me. It looks like a great alternative to the thin-line 335-type of 2-pickup guitars. I wanna play it!

• Produced: 2000 – 2012, as thinner body, 2-pickup model, similar to an ES175 layout. Pickup selector switch, Two volume controls, one master tone control knob. Used on tour in trio format, requiring more midrange.
    • Double cutaway in black or natural
    • Top, back, sides maple, 1 piece mahogany neck, ebony fretboard & bridge, PM120 tailpiece
    • Dual Super 58 Silent humbucker pickups

Around the same time as the PM120, a lower-priced single pickup PM35 model was introduced in a kind of pearly natural finish.
    • Produced: 2008 – 2012, as lower cost single pickup version of touring PM100
    • Single cutaway in natural
    • Top, back, sides maple, 5-piece bubinga–maple neck, ebony fretboard & bridge, KT30 tailpiece

Attached Files:

20. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

The PM100 and 120 are hollow, quite different from a 335, not much alike IMO (I'm a 335 guy).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.