Ibanez miKro

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by oceanblue, Nov 17, 2019.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Anyone have any experience with these? I definitely like the idea of a short scales bass after playing a variety in stores, both 34" and short scales, and preferred the short scales much more, maybe coming from preferring gibson scale guitar necks vs fender 25.5".

This is just a first bass, to learn on, and they aren't expensive relatively speaking, $180, so if the quality is pretty good, and just needs some basic set up tweaking, I'd be ok with that, as long as they don't have a rep for having bad necks, fretwork, etc.
    If they are pretty good for the money, I may just order one from Amazon and start shopping for an amp.

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I looked at one of these and a Talman TMB30 at the same time. I think the Mikro has 1 extra fret. For whatever reason I chose the Talman and like it a fair amount. Plays well. Needs flatwounds and still is really bright. I have to roll off the treble quite a ways.

3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I normally play a P-bass (beefy 34” neck). i’ve tried a Mikro at stores a few times and thought it was light, slim and pretty comfy...but my short, thick fingers felt a little cramped by the slim neck and fret spacing (28.6” scale is a pretty major change from 34”)!

I thought the ones I tried sounded good and the low E retained some nice clarity. Definitely worth trying to see if you like it.

I think If I played one for a week I’d adjust to the short scale slim neck and be fine.

4. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

How was the weight? Did you play the two or order online? The videos I see online show the miKro holding it's own pretty well for an inexpensive bass. I'll have to look at some for the Talman.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife, the bass player, had one for awhile. A comfy bass for a guitar player and has a very usable span of tones. Be careful in your selection, because quality control is an issue. She went through a bunch to select a good one.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I've got a TMB30 very nice bass for not a lot of money. Mine comes in at 7 1/2 pounds, happily about the same as my Tele. They are on the bright side, a quick look under the hood showed 500k pots, so they may be replaced with 250k in due course.

7. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="oceanblue, post: 9433770, member: 1412

This is just a first bass, to learn on, and they aren't expensive relatively speaking, $180, so if the quality is pretty good, and just needs some basic set up tweaking, I'd be ok with that, as long as they don't have a rep for having bad necks, fretwork, etc.
    If they are pretty good for the money, I may just order one from Amazon and start shopping for an amp.[/QUOTE]

The Mikro will fill the above bill.
    I have two and can testify.
    Good luck

oceanblue likes this.
  8. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've had a couple of Mikros, set up a few others and still have one I use occasionally to grab off the wall and figure stuff out at my slightly cramped desk area. For a learning bass they are pretty good for the money IMO. Having two pickups makes it more fun to play and they are comfortable and light. I haven't seen any build quality issues keeping in mind the pricing. If you can be flexible with the paint/color they can be found at nice discounts at times.

screefer and oceanblue like this.
  9. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

Friends of mine have a duo act. The wife plays bass and switched from an Ibanez SGR to a Mikro. In fact, she got 2 of them (identical model, both white). They are a lot of fun to play. I'm used to medium and short scale basses and if I 'needed' another, I'd get one of these. On the topic of quality control, one of these new instruments came with the output jack not secured. It's one of those long bushing type of connector that have a locknut inside the control cavity. The nut was over 1" from being tight. I fixed it for her. Other than that detail, everything on the 2 basses were perfect. Good to play and the price is good also.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.