Ibanez lawsuit Telecaster 2352 - are they good guitars?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by The Orange Drop, May 11, 2021.

1. The Orange Drop

The Orange Drop TDPRI Member

A 1972 Ibanez tele 2352 in nice condition just came up for sale locally and I was wondering if anyone could give me more information about it. I've always been interested in acquiring a lawsuit japanese guitar but had never come across one that was a tele locally before. It has 2 maxon pickups with chrome covers and a top loader bridge. I've heard conflicting reports about these guitars with some saying they're great and as good as american teles and others calling them total lemons. Which is it?

The guitar I am looking at is almost identical to this one for reference:
    https://www.vintage-guitar.de/detailsitem_3836_Ibanez-Mod-2352.html

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

old soul likes this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Good enough to make people want to buy them instead of the original. Good enough to be called “lawsuits” today. Ibanez has always made very good instruments.

edit. Is the asking price reasonable?

3. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I've never played one, but John Scofield has one in cream, and another blue one. I'd say that is a good endorsement.

Jambands_JohnScofield.jpg

4. The Orange Drop

Seller is asking 500 and may be open to offers

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Can't speak to the price, but I had a lawsuit Strat and a Les Paul back in the day - I'm old - and both were fine guitars. Still wish I had that LP copy. It was the one LP I ever got along with.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  6. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know they existed! Now I need to get one!

Maguchi and Toadtele like this.
  7. The Orange Drop

That Scofield tele looks a lot closer to a fender tele than the top loader one I found locally.

milocj likes this.
  8. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I used to collect lawsuit era guitars Then at some point I sold most of them and decided Gibson's and Fenders were better investments. I miss those guitars though, they are as good or better in some cases than the Fender and Gibson's. A Yamaha SA2000 in particular, was the best 335 style I ever played. One thing, for single coils, they tended to have ceramic pickups.. sounds good imo, but maybe a little different from American made guitars.

9. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I’ve never played a Tele model lawsuit guitar, but a former band mate had an Ibanez lawsuit 335 and P-Bass, and both were terrific instruments.

10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I had one of those. They were sold under various other names including Aria, Ventura, and Electra (mine was an Orlando).

The 2352 is the budget model. The body is plywood, the hardware is cheap, and it's lightly built.

The guitar's saving grace is the pickups. The one's I had were super hot, like 9k each, and sounded fantastic.

With a bit of tweaking they can be fun players. Think 50's Danelectro. But if you're looking for one of the legendary, Fender killing "lawsuit" versions like the one Scofield is playing above, this ain't it.

I think I paid about 100 bucks for mine, but that was a long time ago. 500 seems a tad high for what it is. 350 sounds more reasonable if it's in very good condition.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  11. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That actually sounds like a great price, condition warranting, if it's a true lawsuit model.

12. The Orange Drop

Thanks for weighing in. I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense. The one in that picture of Scofield playing looks like a better instrument and probably more along the lines of what I'd ideally want. I am probably going to pass and keep an eye out for one of those better looking versions. Cheers!

13. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

The one that Scofield is playing is more reflective of what was considered a "Lawsuit Era" guitar and more of a pretty stone cold replica of a real Fender in feel, sound, and looks.
    Nothing really wrong with that '72 but it is definitely a bit before the "golden age" of MIJ copy guitars. I've seen them for sale before and they typically don't go for $500... it's been a while though. Most of that model I've seen in my neck of the woods were imported under the "Penco" brand name.

gitold likes this.
  14. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Sweet guitar! I've got the drifter version

Attached Files:

15. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

The one the OP referenced is an early one, not the same as the one Scofield is playing. The early ones has the input jack on the control plate instead of the side of the guitar and they also has a metal truss rod cover. Someone said this guitar is plywood, I would be $100 it is not. I have had many vintage Ibanez guitars over the year and never had a plywood one. It is most likely two slabs off wood glued together with a center seam being visible along the side. Don't buy one of these thinking you might upgrade the pickups, they are not the same size as say fender pickups. Wont fit in the bridge. Nothing is compatible. I'm also of the opinion the later ones were of better quality. Early ones had cheap tuners and were just not built as well.

Maguchi likes this.
  16. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

...onm

17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

I've never found an Ibanez I didn't like.

old soul likes this.
  18. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I forgot to mention. Some of these older ones have a very narrow neck at the nut, like super narrow. If you have big hands, it could be an issue.

old soul likes this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

The one shown/in question looks earlier than that

Looks like a old cheap Japanese guitar to me

The later 70’s Ibanez’s like scofields there are supposed to be fairly decent, early ones as far as I can tell are a crapshoot like most early Japanese guitars

I think they are neat, don’t know if I’d buy without trying though

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    TimT likes this.
  20. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

^^^Exactly this. The late 70's is when Ibanez/FujiGen was making some seriously excellent guitars that were equal to the USA big boys IMHO.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.