1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ibanez Jet King 2

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GuitarsBuicks, Oct 19, 2020.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

(horribly out of tune sing-screaming)"while my guitar Gently weeeeeeeeeeeeeeps"

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's heavy yep, and the overall feel of it to me is like bad guitars from the 60s and 70s, dense and encased, overly thickly finished. The neck feels like a log, the board is too flat, and it doesn't help that the high E string often pings out of the nut slot, and I've tried different trees and such to alleviate it, no dice

But man do I love the sound of it, like on here:

:cool:

teletimetx likes this.
  3. GuitarsBuicks

Diggin' the white knobs dude!

Likin' the all silver ones too. (least that's what it looks like from here)

Mine has the original black ones with the silver faces

4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Mine was similar. I might say it felt "cheap", but I know cost had nothing to do with it and the quality was fine; I just didn't "bond" with it, whatever that ultimately means. It makes me feel oddly guilty because I really wanted to like it more, but it either works out or it doesn't.

Mine was heavy too, but not enough to bother me.

I also had an issue with the high E popping out the nut, but that was resolved by a new nut with the same height off the fretboard, but deeper slots (so the sides of the slots were taller around the string).

I recall the neck feeling nice. And overall the guitar was comfortable to play.

5. GuitarsBuicks

I only had the E string to that once. Course my is a hardtail. Is it bad that my Jet King and my Tele weigh almost the same?

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I had never had a guitar do that, so I decided to kill that problem dead once it did happen.

A guitar's weight, in and of itself, has no effect on anything other than your back/shoulders/lap. If you can deal with that then you're golden.

I don't think mine was especially heavy, but it was almost certainly my heaviest guitar at the time. My '80's Squier plywood Esquire with a Bigsby is probably close. The LP I have now is heavier (at least it feels that way; I've never weighed any of my guitars with a scale), but still not problematically so.

The way a guitar hangs off your body on a strap, and how high you wear it, can affect how you perceive the weight, as well. That could have been part of it.

7. GuitarsBuicks

They both weigh in at just over 8 lbs. I'm not complaining just stating an observation. I'll probably never complain about the weight of a guitar after marching Bass drum 4 in a marching band for six hours in the wind and snow. Such is the curse of being the largest and strongest guy in the percussion section. That drum was really, really heavy. Especially when it was wet in the wind.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weird. That has almost nothing to do with the guitar. Is it like Crossroads? What a drag.

9. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I am not familiar with this guitar but I don't hate the way it looks!

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yep, with little rubber gaskets for grip
    0.jpg

11. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I've owned a JK2 and I still own a butterscotch JK1. I've never heard anyone say they hate them lol. They seem to be held in fairly well regard by people who are aware of them. I'd never heard of them until I saw my JK1 in a local pawnshop, thought it looked cool and it was only $120. It's a really well made guitar too.

I didn't care for the JK2 quite as much so I sold it but it wasn't a bad guitar.

Where are you seeing "hate" for Jet Kings?

12. Allenjason95

I've owned 2 of them and have done many internet deep-dives trying to find out more about them, I never ran across any "hate".

Like I said in an earlier post I've owned a JK2 and still own a JK1. They both were good guitars.
    I personally prefer the looks of the first style but a lot of people like the 2nd body style better I guess.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  13. GuitarsBuicks

Like I said its just personal experience. The guys at the shop that had it hated it. Some of the guys at my college hated it. (Although I think that was more jealousy than true hate.) Just some of the things I have observed. One of the guys in a local group that is more established than us told me that it made us look and sound cheap. He happened to see us at one of our gigs. The music/guitar community can be so mean some times.

14. GuitarsBuicks

Brand? When I build mine I want to use those.

15. GuitarsBuicks

Nevermind, found them on amazon.

blowtorch likes this.
  16. Allenjason95

Yeah, that guy just sounds like an *******. A JK2 is a decent looking guitar and they can sound good. The guy from Cracker used a JK1 for a while. Not really a fan of Cracker but they're a pretty big band so if it was good enough for him.......

The only time I can honestly remember a guitar really making a band sound bad was at a local show, some guy was using an Epiphone Les Paul Junior for metal and I assume it was stock because it sounded like hot garbage. He wasn't a bad player either, it was just he was using a ****ty guitar. Might have worked for punk but for metal it just sounded horrible.

But I've seen a million local shows and I don't recall ever noticing what a guitar player was playing just because it sounded bad other than that one time.

Like I said I have a JK1 and I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the pickups in it, they sound muddy IMO. I've always planned on eventually replacing them but I have an EQ pedal that I use to up the treble and cut the bass and it sounds good. I also hated that cheesy plastic pickguard that came on the JKT1s so I had my cousin make me one out of aluminum, it looks much better IMO. 29062590_10211719304810688_539021853096673280_o.jpg

17. GuitarsBuicks

If I can't figure out my grounding hum what kind of pickup would you replace the bridge with? I'm thinking a Seymour Duncan black Pearly Gates or something. I play country. Thoughts?

18. Allenjason95

Honestly I've never really looked into humbucking pickups much. I just prefer more bite and treble. I have a Les Paul Custom that had 57 classics in it, I swapped the bridge out on that for a Dirty Fingers I found on CL. It's not my ideal sound but much better than the muddy 57 Classic. I play mostly rock, but more dirty and raw sounding rock. I like my guitar to sound like it's just about to go off the rails. I'm a big fan of Steve Jone's early tone but I also like Jack White's White Stripes sound and Pete Townhend's early 70s sound.

I definitely don't know much about country or what pickups to use, when I think country I think Telecaster or pedal steel.

Wish I could help you with the hum but I'm not technical at all. I bought a Firefly Tele that hummed really badly but as far as I could tell it wasn't grounded at all so I looked online and someone suggested using a piece of stereo wire to ground out to the bridge, which is what I did and it worked, it cut down on a lot of the hum.

19. GuitarsBuicks

Anybody else with knowledge feel free to chime in.

20. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Make sure the grounds fron both pickups are attached to the switch.

A ground hum isn't something ice dealt with in humbuckers.

If you want to upgrade pickups, I recommend making sure the ground him is thing. What pickups you go for depends on what you want the guitar to sound like.
    Pearly gates are mid focused Alnico 2s. Might have more character than your stock pickups, but shop around. Duncans are expensive. Know it's what you're after before taking the plunge. There are other companies out there too, big and small.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.