1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ibanez Jet King 2

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GuitarsBuicks, Oct 19, 2020.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Yes, I know this is one of the most hated guitars ever made. I like it. Has anyone here ever seen an Ibanez Jet King I or II wiring diagram? I ask because I can't seem to find it but was thinking about building one. Also, I have one that will likely need to be re-wired as it has developed a Hum from humbucking pickups. Incase you are unfamiliar with this forgotten, hidden, and for some reason unduly hated jewel of a guitar, it is a Duo-sonic/Jazzmaster/Mustang/vaguely-Telecaster? style off-set with two humbuckers. Two Rocker-Switches to split their respective coils, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way Toggle.

[​IMG]

Zepfan, hemingway and jamesronguitar like this.
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I owned and gigged an Ibanez Jet King JTK-4 for years.

Great guitar.

i have no wiring diagrams to share.
    Just good memories.

:)
    jet king on the wall.jpg

hemingway, T-Bone and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know about the wiring, just came here to say I love mine 0.jpg

hemingway and E5RSY like this.
  4. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Looks like a toy.

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I like 'em. I've almost bought one three different times, but couldn't spend the money. (Well, once, it was the bass version.) I'd do it now.

I like that it's based on japanese models from the 60s.

6. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

7. blowtorch

they are all toys

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never thought of these as particularly hated. That's news to me (and a bit of a surprise). If anything I've mostly heard them spoken of as pretty good guitars but "sleepers", in that not a lot of people know about them (compared to Strats or LP's or more typical Ibanez guitars), but the people who play 'em, dig 'em.

I had a JTKII myself for a while. It was a good guitar. The body was Jazzmaster-like, but with a less exaggerated upper horn and less droopy lower bout. Also less curvy comfort cuts. I wound up selling mine because it wasn't doing what I wanted a double-humbucker to do (I basically wanted it to be my Les Paul-killer; turns out I wanted a Les Paul). But that's about me not having the right guitar for my needs than any problem with the guitar itself.

Anyway, here's your diagram. A tip for any future searches: Jet King II's and Jet King I's are identical, wiring-wise, so any information on one should do for the other. From the III's on things get different (really just different pickups and no rocker switches).

JTK.gif

JTK.gif

9. SixStringSlinger

All solid-body guitars look like toy versions of "real" instruments, we're just more used to some than others.

And they're all awesome.

blowtorch likes this.
  10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I thought these were cool when reissued or whatever in the 2000s. At the time, you could buy 3ish Teiscos (or other 60s pawn shop staples) from Ebay for the price of a new jetking. So, I never bought one.

Didn't know they were ever hated though.

11. jamesronguitar

jamesronguitar TDPRI Member

They sure do look cool!

12. GuitarsBuicks

They Rock, Roll, and Twang like nothing else. I really don't think I've played a more versatile guitar, in my severely limited 10 years of guitar drooling...I mean shopping. I take mine to every gig. It was my primary until the frets started to show their ware. Now it's getting a rest until I can find a luthier or get it professionally re-fretted.

I have had many mean and/or rude comments on mine from those less knowledgeable. The guys at the shop I got mine from couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I like it better than 99.9 of the Teles (so far my '96 is the one exception), Strats, LPs, and all the SGs I have played. Even the High end ones.

I found that it easily competes with my teachers 1999 MIA Big Apple Strat.

I did manage to kill my cousin's MIA AM.STD Strat and $2,000 Les Paul with mine...He was bragging and hasn't talked to me since....Do you think I made him mad with my $204.58 "POS"(that's what he called it) electric guitar?

I thank you good sir, ma'am or person (which ever you prefer). I tried that site twice and I couldn't find it so thank you! (I blame my internet for being to slow.)

13. GuitarsBuicks

I have seen more than a few threads where people unload on them for "looking cheap" and "sounding the way they look." It's sad really

14. GuitarsBuicks

I will post pictures of mine here some day. although it looks just like yours without the bigsby.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How do you kill someone else’s guitar with yours?

PaulNYC, T-Bone and backporchmusic like this.
  16. SixStringSlinger

Softly, with his song.

17. GuitarsBuicks

Do what guitars do best, Play loud and proud, with the best tone it and you can manage. It's not a literal kill. That would be rude. Nah, It's more like a drag race on your local four-lane where the vintage American muscle takes the brash modern car off the line without breaking a sweat.

blowtorch likes this.
  18. blowtorch

I love the sound of my JetKing. I don't love the feel of it.

19. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

It has a cool retro vibe to it. Used to be a black one at at local music store near me. I like the red better though.

20. GuitarsBuicks

Just curious what don't you like about the feel? My main complaint is the weight. They are heavy. Just needed a wider, padded strap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.