Ibanez Electric Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jazzrat, May 11, 2010.

1. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Here you go, Larry!

Ibanez Artcore AF71F

Ibanez AF71F.jpg

savofenno, Hiker, perttime and 2 others like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Wow! That was fast, thanks, LT! :)

That model looks great, and may just be what I'm looking for, depending on how it plays and sounds, of course. Is this one that you have personal experience with?

I didn't see that on the Ibanez Guitars site earlier, just went back and checked again, it's not there. Didn't find it on Sweetwater, either. I'm guessing then that this is a discontinued model. So I suppose doing searches on GC Used, eBay and CL is my next step.

Hiker likes this.
  3. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

These seem to have been made from 2013 through 2018, Larry, so setting an automated Google Alert should surface one for you soon enough. Have never had this model in hand, but here's some other dude's review...

brookdalebill and awasson like this.
  4. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

5. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Larry, I knew I'd seen Ibanezes with this sort of configuration before, so I did a bit of googling and got some hits.

A couple of current models are the AF71 and the AFC/AFC155JBB. The AF71 has the controls on the pickguard, whereas the AFC, which is bigger and quite a bit more expensive, has the controls mounted on the top. Odd. I also came across an AF 105 FNT -- really a spectacular looking instrument. This one has the controls on the pickguard. Judging by the headstock logo, I'd place this guitars dates of manufacture in the early 2000s. There's also the George Benson series. The GB-20 meets your requirements, but at a rather stiff price point.

6. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

One of the best buys on the vintage market, when you can find 'em...my '82 AM50. Bought this last year, all stock with hardly a mark on it.
    Ironically when Gibson produced the ES339...they were copying the Ibanez AM50. Low output Super 58's with Alnico 3 magnets can be a little brighter than a Gibson pickup, or dial the tone back a little and it'll nail that traditional Gibson sound.

brookdalebill and awasson like this.
  7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I have been in this club a number of times, the first time was a stunning as100 in the early eighties. I may be in the club again in the near future, I really am lusting after the AS200. I love everything about it other than its $2,300 price tag

5C1900A1-6A56-4DAA-8AFD-000F1B135283.jpeg

bumnote and brookdalebill like this.
  8. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up my 81 AS100 the other day and noodled around on it. I’ve been giving it some downtime for the last few years while I’ve been enjoying Strats and my T-type guitar. I’m blown away at how wicked fast the neck is and how low but buzz free the action is. What an amazing guitar. I’ve had it for 38 years and if it ever went missing, I’d immediately look for another.

I’m not sure if these are up here. This is the latest (I’ve got an 81 AR100 that is a great player too).

CC2C2872-F2A6-420B-B338-03B0AA65DDFB.jpeg 196A87B5-0832-4A4C-80C4-7C67962E500D.jpeg

9. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

NGD! I just picked up a 1977 2355M, which is a cool looking blonde ES-175 clone with curly maple throughout. A nice addition to my growing Ibanez collection.

Pics to follow.

awasson likes this.
  10. awasson

While we’re waiting for Michael’s photos, here’s an acquisition I made recently. My long time bandmate from many bands gave me his 1984 AM75. He turned it into a hardtail a good 30 years ago so I’m planning to see if I can put it back to full floating and do some cosmetic restoration as well.

374B1EDB-2E37-4FF0-ADBE-AB1726155B6B.jpeg E95CF141-367E-430F-AB8A-267E12C4ED91.jpeg

11. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

I dunno . . . I kinda like the looks of that BadAss-looking hardtail setup. Very clean and compact.

awasson likes this.
  12. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

I got pix! It's a '77 2355M, label is signed by M. Sugihara.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. awasson

You might be right. I definitely have to do something because the posts are being pulled forward. Maybe I can get a Gibraltar bridge and tailpiece setup.

That 2355M is in nothing short of amazing condition. Wow! You just have to be happy with a guitar like that.

Hiker likes this.
  14. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

You betcha! I'm stoked.

A Gibralter setup makes sense on your guitar and would look good, I think. If your guitar is a semi-hollow body, those posts should be well anchored in the center block. If they've gotten "wallered out" (a great Texas expression) somehow, then a possible solution would be to extract the inserts, drill out the post holes and insert a set of tight fitting oak dowels in their stead, glue them in place, trim them flush and then redrill for the posts.

awasson likes this.
  15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

20190701_185014.jpg 20190701_185046.jpg NGD, lucked into a rare Ar1505 in very good condition. Needs a bit of set up work, has a couple of dings, but all original, clean, and fantastic quality and sound.

Another thing to note is that it is pretty light for an Artist - about 8 lbs., 12 oz.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    savofenno, Hiker, bo and 4 others like this.
  16. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

I thought I should update my earlier pic of this guitar. I'm not a real big fan of pickguards on archtop guitars. With my playing style, pickguards aren't a requirement on archtops. As a result, my Les Pauls have lost their pickguards and now, so has my 2355M. I really think it looks a lot better without the pickguard.

ibanez_2355m_1.jpg

17. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

My AS73 with Gibson Classic '57/'57+ pickups. Great addition. My Ibanez AS73. (2).jpg

awasson and brookdalebill like this.
  18. gimmefuel

gimmefuel TDPRI Member

Was my Great-Grandma's, GB-10 serial number puts it at 1978
    [​IMG]

19. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

awasson likes this.
  20. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Do any of you know if the AS (AS83) guitars have double action truss rods? I've loosened mine to the point of the nut being loose and i dont want to spin it off as I'm sure it would be a bear getting it back on, but my neck is flat, and if it's a double action rod, I'd like to give it just a skosh of relief. I have tried asking on an Ibanez board and got no answer to my question.

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.