1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ibanez Electric Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jazzrat, May 11, 2010.

1. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

nice guitars !! really diggin the Roadstar's..see one in my future

savofenno likes this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's one solid guitar. Someone swapped in a rail in the neck position and installed a coil tap for it. Covers a lot of ground tone-wise, and the neck is like a nice Strat. You get a lot of guitar for the money with Roadstars.

- D

savofenno and bftfender like this.
  3. dead mike

dead mike Tele-Meister

The only guitar on my radar is the AZ series. Anyone play one?

4. bftfender

by mistake i got an Ibby 2 months ago, now its up to 5...should of known better..converted from bass 3 years ago and i only ever needed 1 bass and it is an Ibanez,,the necks and build quality is so good, my new hobby is finding the japan ones and verifying serial # andrestoring them..man for $400 you can a guitar as good as any expensive guitar and with your specs !

savofenno and StrangerNY like this.
  5. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Talman that I played once in a store was surprisingly good playing and sounding. They just look funny to me.

savofenno likes this.
  6. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I live the Ibanez Artists. They play and sound great to me. I’m fortunate enough to have a ‘79 and love it.

StrangerNY, bftfender and awasson like this.
  7. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup, my 1981 AS100 Artist is probably the best guitar I own; followed by my 1981 AR100 Artist. And yeah, I absolutely love the IBZ stuff too!

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had a 100 for a while same year as the 500 that I traded it away. That was a nice guitar, too, sort of a violin burst.

I'd really like to find a black one with binding. That's a sharp looking guitar.

- D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    awasson likes this.
  9. bftfender

recent pair, RG350 my strat like & rg470 Japan 570 neck..this is a player,prob the workhorse for standard 3 songs live rg470 & 350.jpg

Fergyuk and awasson like this.
  10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Fergyuk, awasson and bftfender like this.
  11. bftfender

cool..

12. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

After seeing the pic of StrangerNY's beautiful AR-500, I couldn't resist jumping over to eBay to see what they're selling for these days. Woh, geez. Now I wish I would have bought one 20 or 25 years ago, back when they were still affordable. But this got me to wondering about Ibanez prices. So I decided to do a search on eBay, and I just did a search on "Ibanez." Got over 10,000 hits! Of course, those hits include parts and accessories and all. So at that point, I decided to take a look at some instruments. And I decided I'd do a most to least expensive search configuration. I figured I'd probably have to page through a few pages of pricy Ibanezes before I'd get to an area where I could begin to pay attention, which was in the $500-something range and below. My search routine is set for 50 items per page. So take a guess, why don't you, as to how many pages I had to wade through before I found a single guitar in the $500s -- it was like $580-something. Go ahead -- take a guess. I'll bet you'll miss it -- by a lot.

Try 138 pages! Let's see, at 50 guitars per page, that's around 6,900 guitars I had to page through before I found a single guitar with a price less than $600! Call it 7,000 -- since there are still plenty of guitars well over $600 still in these pages.

Now, I dunno about you, but I am frankly amazed at this. I can't think of any other Japanese brand that has such a loyal following as Ibanez does. Of course, I'm making the big assumption that the number of listings equate to popularity, but I think it is a valid assumption. There are only two American brands that have such a loyal following -- Gibson and Fender, of course. Which got me to thinking . . .

So I decided to do two more searches. With Ibanez, I found prices to be pretty much a straight taper from about $15,000 to about $600. I've taken my search several pages further, and while there are more sub-$600 listings, there are still lots of listings for instruments priced well over $600.

With Fender, I found the search to be quite different. Similar to Ibanez, a simple search on "Fender guitar" revealed about 10,000 hits. There was a straight taper in prices from about $30,000 down to $3,000, then it became a very flat taper from $3,000 on down. In other words, most of Fender's prices occur within the $3,000 to cheap range. It took 175 pages of Fender listings before the prices dipped below $600. That's 8,750 guitars. But most of those guitars are within the $2,000 to $600 range.

With Ibanez, there wasn't any real flat spot down to $600. I'm sure that, below this price, once I get down to, say, $300-400, a flat spot will occur with Ibanez's prices as well.

A search on "Gibson guitar" revealed about 6,800 instruments. Prices declined in a straight line from about $32,000 to about $3,500, at which point they began a more gradual taper -- all the way to the first page that had a sub-$600 guitar -- 135 pages, which is about 6,750 guitars -- but beyond that page, prices plummeted rapidly to cheap stuff. I found it interesting that the vast majority of Gibson listings were for Les Pauls of various models. Which means, if it weren't for the Les Paul, Gibson would be a minor player in the guitar universe.

In my Ibanez searches, I did find the guitar I was looking for, though. Namely an Artist I can afford. Looks like it's the AR420, which sells new for $649. Still, more than I want to afford right now. Maybe one day I'll find a used one for a more reasonable price. I haven't looked for AR420s here yet, but I'm sure I'll find some. And of course, I'm interested in what owners think of them.

awasson likes this.
  13. bftfender

latest addition Ibanez S Classic 420 with coil split switc SSC420.jpg SC420b.jpg h , made in Japan

Fergyuk and awasson like this.
  14. bftfender

my shredder, 2010 Ibanez RGA72TQMZE--active pups 7  & Ibby.jpg ibby body.jpg

Fergyuk, savofenno and awasson like this.
  15. GeekPriest

GeekPriest Tele-Meister

So, what are the considerations for an 80's era RS440 (Roadstar II) with the Pro Rock'r bridge? That is, it's not an Edge tremolo bridge. Looks like parts are hard to come by.

Would you consider buying one? At what maximum price?

16. Biggfoot44

Biggfoot44 TDPRI Member

Just aquired a Ibanez GIO Strat style HSS as part of a package deal . It was from a ( permanent bld ) Farmer's Market dealer, dealing with general collectables , and admittedly had no guitar knowledge , but with my limited experience eyeballing found no obvious issues .,

Tell me a little about these please .

A particular curiosity is the wiring . I * think * that position number 2 automatically splits the bridge humbucker, is this so ? ( fwiw, I would consider that a good thing )

17. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

How could I have missed this thread for so long????
    Anyway: Artcore for the win!
    This is my Ibanez Artcore AF75 in blue. Had the neck pickup changed for a humbucker-sized P90 as I found the stock pu a bit......muddy. I like the bridge hum,bucker, very nice for overdrive sounds; my main use is probably both pickups parallel, lovely clean and great crunch rhythm tone.
    I also had the wiring changed to a single volume and a single tone knob - I never liked the original Gibson style electrics. I also had the toggle switch and the volume swapped positions to have easier volume access.
    I love this guitar, it's my main guitar since I bought it 6 years ago.
    If -god forbid - I lost it, I'd immediately buy another ine.

WP_20150821_16_28_50_Smart.jpg
    WP_20150821_16_29_33_Smart.jpg 20180406_220507.jpg

18. Biggfoot44

Biggfoot44 TDPRI Member

And ..... The the guitar in question is changing hands , but not leaving the house .

My resident guitar playing expert is very taken with it , and made a favorable offer .

I was primarily interest in the amp when I picked up the whole package , and the offer for the guitar was more than I paid for the whole package .

19. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

This just in (after a very lengthy search), a 2004 Ibanez AFS75TD-TQ-12-01 in fantastic shape. Pickguard en route!

20190218_165815.jpg

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have been dreaming lately of a jazz box. I've dreamed/GASed before over such an instrument; I began playing 50+ years ago on an arch top, and so I'd like to have such a guitar in my collection, but money and/or specs have held me back thus far. I've looked on the Ibanez website, but "still haven't found what I'm looking for." So I'm thinking maybe an older configuration and/or discontinued model might have the features I'm looking for, and that Ibby owners/participants in this thread might be able to point me in the direction of the Ibanez that meets my specs, if it even exists.

Here's what I'm after: a fully hollow body arch top, preferably with a floating wooden bridge, and a single floating mini-humbucker mounted to the neck or pickguard, with the controls mounted to the PG as well. There are other features I'd like, but I'd be willing to compromise on those, if the guitar is a player. Has Ibanez ever made such a guitar? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.