Ibanez Electric Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jazzrat, May 11, 2010.

1. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

AFJ-95

2. hshight

hshight Tele-Meister

That's beautiful. Probably as heavy as a Gibby? Please compare/contrast.

love Ibanez guitars, have several, but have not been fortunate enough to have many of the vintage models. These are pulling down a grand + on eBay, when you can find one that's not bolt on.

3. Ezee

Ezee TDPRI Member

Screaming Bucks

Are those pickups Super 70's? I have a set that's 31 yrs old and combined with a decent amp....Sonic heaven.

4. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

Thanks! Yes, when he told me he still he had it I got real excited; what if it was a set neck? He didn't know(!) so he had to go up on the attic where it had been for 20years (!). Later he told me it was, "bring it, now!", I said. I fixed it up for him, surprisingly there was not much wrong with it, and said that if he would ever sell it, call me first. He called a week later, unfortunately he can no longer play.

I had a hard time finding out what would be a fair price. The ones on ebay are almost all Michaels. True, some seem to ask a fortune even for them on there, but asking and getting are two different things, and I seem to remember there weren't any completed listings with a set neck.

Asking around on forums didn't help much so I priced it myself at 1000$, and that's what he got. Both happy!

It's heavy as all hell, wonderful action, and features a Superdistortion and some kind of diMarzio PAF. both 70's. On the back is a sticker saying "diMarzio Powered". It also has the original sure grip 1s.

Even though it sustains from here into the next century, I'm not much of a keep stuff original type guy. Thus, on goes a tonepros bridge and tailpiece, Faber tone-lock posts, and the pickups will have to go, as I'm not really happy with their sound. Looks like a Bareknuckle emerald for the bridge, and a Mule for the neck, but I think I will have to experiment some. (not much other choices, I want to keep the double cream look)

A friend asked why I didn't just buy a Gibson while I was at it, and my answer is clear:

- The history of this particular guitar, I mean, I played it in high school(!)
    - There is a point when the sound doesn't get better, even though the price keeps getting higher. This is that point.
    - I can walk into any store anytime and get a Gibson off the shelve. Finding one of these? Forget about it...

5. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

Sorry, missed your post. No, they're diMarzios. I'm all game for trying the S70's, if I can find them in cream.

6. hshight

hshight Tele-Meister

Cha-ching!

7. KurtisLee

KurtisLee TDPRI Member

Lucky enough to have 2 ibanez. 1st- Ibanez Artcore AGS73B, 2nd ibanez RG760

8. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I have now 4. Artcore AF75, RG42, Artcore AKJ95 and ATK200 bass.

9. Tritone

Tritone TDPRI Member

My AF-105. [​IMG]

greebo830 likes this.
  10. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

Now that's purty! :D

11. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

There's a lot of cool stuff coming out this Thursday at summer NAMM including new purple Satch model, old school Iceman, affordable Scofield model, and a really great cherry blossom RG in Japan.

12. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

There's a couple of nice ones for sale not too far from me: AR420 and a 1984 AM205. That's the good part. The bad part is I cannot afford them right now...

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Most probably don't remember, but I have an Ibanez RX170 that I've been trying to sell.
    [​IMG]

I had it listed on my local CL, but I got a few nibbles at best. The ad expired, and I reposted it, and now I can repost it again, but I just don't know. I'm not fishing for buyers here in this thread, I just want to get some input on how and where I'm listing it.

The guitar is a superstrat style guitar, and according to its serial #, it was the 579th model RX 170 made in Korea, April of 1994. It has a maple body with an Emerald Green finish and an Ultra, bolt-on 22-fret maple neck. It has HSH pups, a tremolo bridge, 1 Volume control, 1 Tone control and a 5-way switch.

I'm listing the condition as excellent. I'm basing that assessment on the standards set in Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric Guitars. Their definition of "Excellent"...

That description fits my guitar to a T. And that Blue Book price for this guitar in this condition is $180, so that was my asking price. But like I said, hardly any interest, none serious.

So before I list it on CL again, I'm wondering if I shouldn't make it a eBay auction or something. Do you think the Blue Book price is too much? Or have I just been fishing in the wrong waters?

14. Tritone

Tritone TDPRI Member

Heh, honestly too purty for me! I am not really a fan of flamed maple any more.

15. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

Yes, sell it on Jemsite.com, another site I belong to. The hard core Ibby fans live here.

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for that suggestion, 63dot. Things have been crazy busy lately, and my wife and I will be taking vacation time in the first half of August, but I'll check Jemsite out when I get back, or maybe sooner if I can find the time before we leave.

17. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I hope you find the traction on jemsite. Those Ibanez fans are as serious as the tele fans here. I think any site that is not the meat and potatoes strat or Les Paul have fans who are really loyal.

Gretsch and Rickenbacker have similarly dedicated fans as Ibanez and Fender Telecaster players. When I used a Fender strat or Les Paul, it was just another guitar with really well known parameters, but anything else was kind of like belonging to a secret society with people who thought their less traveled path was the best.

Of the dozens of guitars I have owned if I had to have just one electric I would either go with old tele or semi-vintage Ibanez Blazer.

18. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Know exactly what you mean - I've also said that if I could have only one electric guitar I'd be happy for it to be my Blazer 300.

19. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Have recently obtained a 1978 Iceman after being on the look out for a while:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's by no means perfect cosmetically, but it's not far off. Nut is not original, but the one it's got is fine. Couple of chips on the back of the headstock, and the switch crackles. But it's perfect in the areas that count, i.e. the playability (zero fret wear!) and the sound. The pickups are just fantastic. Plus it's the guitar one of my heroes used in the last few years before a stroke put him out of action, Tim Smith of Cardiacs.

Anyway, very happy with my New Old Guitar:

[​IMG]

20. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

Awesome!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.