Ibanez AS73?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by VonBonfire, May 9, 2021.

1. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Anybody have/had one of these? Experiences?

Some pretty cool purple and pink colors on a sweet looking semi hollow plus black and bursts available. I've had the sheraton, the headstock made it a neck diving monster totally ruining ever gigging it for me which was a bummer because that neck was a thing of beauty. It also suffered from crappy chinese electronics, the selector switch shot out soon after I got it. Probuckers were too hot. Sold it.

I now have the Epi 335 pro and it plays really well but also suffers the typical chinese junk pickups and electronics. The pots are particularly pathetic. I have 57 classics ready for install but considered buying Ibanez and ditching the 335 pro if it's worth it. Or maybe not worth it? Looking for a good backup to the Gibson maybe I should just save for an Edwards ES....

2. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

They are killer guitars for the dough. I had one and though I actually didn't hate the pickups, I swapped them out for GFS Liverpools. I loved that guitar. But of course I sold it... lol

Artcores are some of the best bang fer buck going. I have had probably 5 different Artcores. My current is a full hollowbody AFV10L... distressed with aged hardware. Love this guitar.

PhredE, RoscoeElegante and VonBonfire like this.
  3. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have the AS-93, which is essentially the AS-73 with Super 58 pickups. Excellent guitar, solidly built, especially for the money. And the finishes are great, too.

hnryclay and VonBonfire like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The AS73 has "Classic Elite" humbuckers which are pretty good although their Super 58 ones are better. Electronics are solid, better than comparable Epiphones I've seen.

VonBonfire and davidchagrin like this.
  5. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I've got one, and I like it a lot, but I'll be selling it soon, along with all the other electrics. When I got mine, they didn't come with a pickguard, so I bought one that was meant to be a replacement for an old Ibanez artist. I swapped the pickups for Duncan 59s. Replaced the tuners, and added some reflector knobs. It's been a really good guitar.

IMG_6683 copy.jpg

6. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I love mine. The neck is so comfortable.

VonBonfire likes this.
  7. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Is it slim-taper like? I prefer either narrow-thin or wide-thin type of necks.

How bad were the factory tuners?

8. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I have an AS83, it was my first electric guitar. I used it to learn about pickups and controls, rolling through many different electronics configurations. If I was buying today I would buy the AS93 as everything is just a bit nicer than the 73, no mods required.

VonBonfire likes this.
  9. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

The tuners are fine. Not super high ratio, but they hold fine. The neck feels like an artist neck. Less chunky than an Epi, but not at all skinny.

VonBonfire likes this.
  10. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

I have a real Gibson with slim taper. Had a sheraton with "slim taper" but it was wider. Now I have an Epi 335 with slim taper and it is narrow like the Gibson but not as thin of a neck so slim taper seems to mean any assortment of pseudo thin neck lol.

Charlodius likes this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Used AS73s are probably the best deals out there, you can often get them CHEAP. They're well made, if a little plastic-y feeling. The pickups are garbage, but otherwise they're an amazing bang/buck guitar. I screwed a $30 offshore Bigsby clone from eBay onto mine and installed some Guitar Madness A2 pickups, it's a fun ride. I'd imagine it'd be a more or less lateral move from an Epiphone, though. I've played a few higher end Artcores (AS93, AS153), they feel basically the same but have nicer bells and whistles.

12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice guitar for little money. Pickups and nut are all I have changed. Going to try some Dream 90s (GFS p-90s).

Tuners work great for me.

VonBonfire likes this.
  13. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

The tuners weren't bad, but I had a real nice set amongst my parts, so I swapped them out. I could have kept the originals...were I not addicted to tinkering. :)

VonBonfire likes this.
  14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Same here, but mine is the AS-80. I am not particularly fond of the pots but the Super 58 pups are quite nice enough. It's the neck I really love. Nothing suits my hands and short fingers better than Ibanez necks. For playing clean and loud it is an awesome guitar, stays in tune, no dive, and good for finger picking as well.

Drew617 and VonBonfire like this.
  15. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Had an AS73 once. Compared to an Epiphone, the Ibanez ceramic pickups were only good for metal/high gain. Also, the upper fret access was poor compared to the Epi.

My current economy semi hollow is an Epiphone Sheraton. It is superior to my Epi Dot and my former Ibanez AS 73. Even my old Washburn HB30 beat the AS73 in all regards.Some people like the Ibanez. I don’t.

My Gibson ES335 kicks them all to the curb. But I digress..

VonBonfire likes this.
  16. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

All of this: I have shorter fingers, as well, and find the neck very playable.

VonBonfire likes this.
  17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had one of the original ones. I've heard the later models have different electronics and pickups.

18. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Great guitar. I've bought it by thinking to change the pups, but they sound really good

IMG_20201219_185045_231.jpg

19. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

I had one, put TV Jones classics in it and it was killer. I play a '01 Korean Sheraton now and it's a cut above but also worth twice as much. Go for the AS73, great bargains.

20. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Have an AFS75- so single cutaway, but similar. It's stock. Sounds good, plays great. It was just a setup and good to go.

However- I'm not an everyday jazzer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.