Ibanez AS Semi-Hollow Advice-

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ddk1, Aug 9, 2020.

1. ddk1

ddk1 TDPRI Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the significant differences were in the 53, 73, and 93 model if you have played all? Sounds, feel, playability on neck? I was only able to play a 53 and 73 in my local GC. Is 93 quality noticeably better? Also, would it make sense to just buy a new 53 and pay for some upgrades, or would you buy a used 93 without having to make any changes? I'm trying stay under $500 range.

johmica likes this.
  2. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

3. Eeeeeagle

Eeeeeagle TDPRI Member

I can’t give you the differences of each but I can say that I owned the 93 for a while and regret selling it. The neck felt incredible, to my hands at least, and the HB’s were creamy. My only knock was that it wasn’t the most comfortable to play sitting around the house because of the big body but that’s kind of it’s thing. For real, I wish I still had it!!!

4. ddk1

ddk1 TDPRI Member

5. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I owned an AS83 and it was a killer guitar. Sold it to a friend who was just bewitched by it.

Main differences I see going higher up in numbers is wood choice, trimmings, and at some point you go from ceramic to Alnico pickups.

johmica likes this.
  6. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've had a Scofield model JSM10 for 4 years now, bought used. It's basically a re-issue of the original AS-200's with the castle headstock. The MIJ JSM100 has different neck specs than the originals AS-200's.
    I love it. The only mod I've done that wasn't cosmetic was to change out the stock tuners w/ Gotoh's. The stock tuners on the MIC Ibanez are fine, they do the job but the Gotoh's have a better ratio & the time did improve, but I think that's due to better quality metal. The only other things I've done is to change the knobs out w/ sure-grips & put black pickup rings in place of the stock white.
    The original pickups are still in place, but they will be changed out when I get off my ass. The Chinese version of the Super-58's are surprisingly good pickups, but I do have an '82 AM50 w/ "golden era" Super 58's & really love the sound of under-wound A3's. The A5's currently being used in the the MIC Ibanez are good sounding pickups, just different.
    The fret ends on my JSM are second to none. Ebony fretboard, flamed top, back & sides, binding's perfect. Last year I test drove a black ES335 & returned it. The pickups were better than the JSM10 & I do prefer a nitro finish, but other than that the quality between the two was pretty much the same.
    I definitely recommend checking these out if you can. I'm still amazed 4 years later than this is a Chinese made guitar.
    They're a little pricier than you posted, but it is one guitar that I bought used to check out & if I didn't bond w/ it I would sell off & hopefully break even...instead it's ended up being one top 5's & I'm not going to part with it. From time to time I look at the JSM20, a black finished version...one day I probably will get one.
    7EFD549C-4B0E-45C6-875A-AFBA777D89E4.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    oyobass, awasson, jamester and 3 others like this.
  7. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

Oh, man. You're rubbing salt in a wound without realizing it.

I bought a used 83 on July 6th. It was mailed that day, proofed by a tracking number. It bounced around the eastern half of the Mississippi for a few weeks, and still has not arrived. The seller has been fantastic with his communication and attempts to locate the guitar, but it's been "in transit" since the 19th of last month.

I'm still hoping to see the guitar one day, but things are not looking good . . . .

8. ddk1

ddk1 TDPRI Member

Admittingly I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to understanding electric guitars and gear. A seller I am in contact with has claimed to have made the following upgrades to his Ibanez AS 73. Can anyone well versed in this area help explain if they are pretty significant?

-Pickups- ($300)
    Seymour Duncan Custom Shop "59"
    Unpotted
    Rough cut A4 magnets

-Hardware- ($60)
    Gibson USA bridge
    and tailpeice

-Wiring- ($60)
    Gibson USA pots
    vintage NOS PIO caps
    Switchcraft pickup switch

-Setup- ($140)
    Low to medium action
    Tuning is very stable
    Graphtech nut
    high-end Gotoh tuners ($100 set)

9. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

What's his asking price for an AS-73 with $660 in claimed upgrades?

Out of that list, the pickups are an upgrade over stock, but also a matter of personal preference. The rest would be largely unnecessary. The switch, maybe, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints on the stock Ibanez wiring. Same with hardware and tuning stability. Almost every guitar I've played in this series has been good to great, with typical Ibanez action (low and comfy.)

Gibson doesn't make pots, so he's paid a premium for something else (Alpha or CTS?) on a Gibson blister pack.

awasson and jrbab like this.
  10. ddk1

ddk1 TDPRI Member

$400, the model was made in 2006

11. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Personally I'd pass, unless you could give it a test run and were absolutely blown away. A new AS-73 in the basic finishes is $399. I see them used for $250-$300 frequently.

12. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

I've been wondering if you ever got it, was going to bump that thread to ask. Bummer... :(

OP - As I posted in the other thread, overall quality is remarkably consistent across the AS series in regards to construction and resulting tone. The 93 will look fancier and have slightly better (but still not that great IMO) pickups, but otherwise they are all more alike than different once you get past cosmetics.

The upgrades to the one for sale sound legit, if it's in good shape the $400 asking price is reasonable IMO. I will caution that older models have thinner, flatter necks compared to newer models which are both a little thicker and a nicer C shape. One of my students has an older model (and I played many back in the day), our necks are night and day different.

awasson likes this.
  13. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

If you were to compare/contrast with a real 335, you would be singing the praises of how comfortable these Ibanez's are comparatively!

A real 335 is an inch wider and isn't nearly as balanced. I love my 335's, but sitting down with them is a challenge, I am constantly adjusting them and fidgeting around. When I sit with the Ibanez it's like aaaah, so comfy haha

awasson and 6stringcowboy like this.
  14. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Curious as to why you left the AS-83 out of the discussion?

The whole line is above average value in my opinion. I had a AM-53 but didn't get on with the smaller body so I sold it to the other guitar player in the band and waited until I found my current #1, which is a violin burst AS-83. I absolutely love it.

15. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I'd say 93 and up is the way to go. I have been down this road and the 73 is not equivalent to 93 and higher IMO. The 83 has been a recent addition to pad up their offering so can't comment.

I found a AS-103 in sunburst for $500 that I am fully satisfied with. You could look for one of those or 153s used. Or there is an ASV-10 Model which is roadworn from the factory but great pups,tri-switch and fatter neck than most AS. If new, I say 93.

16. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

I’ve got a gorgeous starlight blue 73. It plays beautifully, sounds great unplugged or amp’d up, sustains for days, and stays in tune pretty well.

personally, I wouldn’t be bothered with any of the upgrades as I’m happy with what I got - Ibanez did a good job with these for the price, but I’m not a tinkerer- I’d rather spend the money I’d spend on upgrades trading up.
    B2E25232-3996-4912-A702-029F0081E932.jpeg
    As far as I’m concerned, the only issue is that it isn’t terribly comfy to sit and play on the couch in an evening...

17. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Play it and see if you like the pickups. If so, $400 is probably OK. Offer $350.

18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I have an AF75, which is their entry level jazz box.
    Very well made guitar, I would rate it better than just about any normal Epiphone I've ever come across.

6stringcowboy likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are many Ibanez in the $300 and up range with case. The stock pickups are very good. Some models have the Ibanez upgrade Super 58 pickups too. I have tried some different SD HB's in a couple of Ibanez Semi's, realistically I heard no difference.

This guitar I got for $300 with Seth Lovers installed in it and the stock pickups. I sold the Seth's, (although i like them) for $150 and I only had $150 in the guitar! I think it's an ...AG83? 85?
    [​IMG]

I wish we had data on neck shape/profiles for the various models though. Some Ibanez are pretty flat on the back for me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    nicknklv likes this.
  20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tried an AF75, very nice but couldn't get on with the D-shaped neck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.