1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ibanez Analog Mini Delay vs. MXR Carbon Copy

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by srblue5, Oct 15, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Anyone have experience with these two delays specifically?

A few years ago, I owned an Ibanez Analog Mini Delay. After the novelty wore off, I found it difficult to incorporate into my sound -- with slapback settings (which is mostly what I used it for), it had a cold metallic kind of sound that was difficult to dial out -- so I ended up selling it.

With Covid curtailing live gigs for now, I've been reviewing some of my rehearsal/gig recordings during the Ibanez delay era and I've noticed a neat low-key grunt/growl that I was getting using the slapback delay (despite the cold-ness of the sound at times, which didn't always come through on my digital recorder) through my setup, which is a PRRI or Peavey Bandit (teal stripe). Sort of reminds me of Marc Ribot. It's got me thinking of getting another delay pedal in order to get that sound again.

To that end, a friend of mine is selling his MXR Carbon Copy. It sounds pretty good (based on when he's played through it) but it's hard for me to compare with the sound I was getting with the Ibanez delay since I no longer have the latter.

Has anyone tried both? How do they compare?

2. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Haven't tried the Ibanez but the Carbon Copy is excellent. The CC has modulation to add that classic warble to the sound. Ibanez doesn't. The CC is available in full size or mini at the same price. BTW, there are 2 adjustable mini pots inside the CC for tuning the rate and depth of the modulation. I can't imagine the Ibanez sounds better and the modulation built in the CC makes it my choice between the two. Some folks think the CC sounds dark (it should it's an analog delay). There is a CC Bright pedal for those who think the regular is too dark. I would suggest trying them out before purchase if you can or buy the pedal from a store that has a generous return window like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend (no affiliation with either).

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Since your location is set to Calgary I was going to suggest that you go to one of the local L&M stores to try them both out but none of the Calgary locations have the Ibanez Mini in stock. The closest thing I have to the Ibanez Mini is an old Ibanez DD700 rack mount delay unit I bought 35 years ago but that's not going to help you very much, although I really like how it sounds.

If you can't get your hands on an Ibanez Mini to A/B the pedals then does it really matter what the differences are between the two? Why not evalute the Carbon Copy on its own merits, see how it works with your current setup, make a few demo recordings which you can play back at your leisure and then decide based on that.

4. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

I own both and like them equally. They're different beasts, though. The Ibanez is clearer--without sounding cold or metallic to my ears, while the Carbon Copy is a lot darker--and has modulation. If I understand what you mean correctly, you won't hear the "grunt" through the CC as IMO the repeats are quite syrupy.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I never understood why after all those years waiting and pacing the floor, waiting and pacing the floor, waiting and pacing the floor, for a delay that would get rid of all the mechanical mayhem on tape delay machines , as in The Roland Space Echo, Maestro Echoplex et al player now want those possibilities built back into the devices.
    Yes the Preamp section of the Echoplex had a charming effect on guitar tones and there is now a special stomp box for those that craze the initial effect of the pre amp.
    I am being just a little facetious but not much. I have some reverb/delay devices in hardware and several plugins as I am a slut for time based effects ,mostly Reverb and Delay.

6. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

All good points. It's interesting because I think I got rid of the Ibanez in a hurry because of that "cold" sound, without realizing that I liked what it was doing. That being said, it could be a number of other factors that (also) added to that tone I had and liked. I may ask my friend to borrow his CC and see how it works with my rig. Thanks!

7. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a carbon copy. Its really good at what it does but that's all it does. I like the Rubberneck a bit better. A little less sludgy, A little more top end and has EQ and modulation control easily reachable. I just redid the board and replaced the Rubberneck with a Flashback mini to make space and add flexibility. It does nice digital, nice tape and nice analog emulations. It also made space to add a HOF mini and an MXR EQ.

If slap is your main thing, the CC is a great choice. If you need more flexibility, there are other options to consider.

8. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

I own both and like them equally. They're different beasts, though. The Ibanez is clearer--without sounding cold or metallic to my ears, while the Carbon Copy is a lot darker (and has modulation). If I understand what you mean correctly, you won't hear the "grunt" through the CC as IMO the repeats are quite syrupy.

9. menefreghista

menefreghista TDPRI Member

I've had both and the answer is Boss DM2W. They're all excellent but the Boss is, well boss.

10. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

The Carbon Copy can really change your signal, so I didnt really like it a lot.

I have a BBE Two Timer for analog delay that I really like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.