Ian Moss

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by richiek65, Jun 20, 2019.

1. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Inspired by a new member joining, here is his namesake showing off his golden tonsils. Posting this for those not already in the know!

Listen and weep.. then be astounded that he wasn't even the main lead singer in his most well known band (though he did sing lead vocals on quite a few of their songs) as one comment in the YouTube clip states, if it wasn't for Mr J. Barnes handling most of the lead vocal duties, "Mossy" would have been as famous as anyone in the business.. and his guitar playing skills are as good as, if not better than his vocals, this acoustic track is great, but not indicative of his complete talents..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  2. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

Completely agree, I have a couple of Mossy's albums and he nails it, both vocally and as a guitarist. I've often thought that Cold Chisel could have just have split the money four ways instead of five, Ian Moss sings the vocal, Jimmy just screams it. Doesn't matter which song it is, I'd back Moss's version any day. And getting away from the Cold Chisel playlist, he does a great vocal on Thunderball, on the Let's All Get Together album.

willie ray and richiek65 like this.
  3. richiek65

Another version

Kid Telecaster and willie ray like this.
  4. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I get the general musical vibe of the Cold Chisel blokes, but I cannot listen to Mr Barnes. His voice irritates me no end.

Matt G and Kid Telecaster like this.
  5. Kid Telecaster

Thx for the clip, I remember the concert, not because I went but because a bunch of the hardened western suburbs girls from the data capture room were going that night and they really talked it up. Chisel were a band that had a dedicated pub rock audience that really revolved around Barnsey and unfortunately that overshadowed the songwriting of Don Walker and the virtuosity of Ian Moss.

6. richiek65

Yes, Barnes is polarising, I am generally a fan of his stuff, but too much screaming can tire quickly.. Mossy on the other hand...

Kid Telecaster likes this.
  7. richiek65

Double post

8. richiek65

I went to one of the final shows but I can't remember too much of it..I was 18, and there were many beers before the show...

9. Kid Telecaster

Thread too short :)
    Listening to Ian mossy's version of choir girl now, red wine in hand. Reflecting. And all the emotion he quietly invests into all of it, and it never needed screaming. It's a sensitive ballad. It needed tenderness not balls.

And his take on Don Walkers Let's All Get Together just outclasses the genre it was picked up from, I listen to that guitar, phenomenal...
    Flame Trees, the War is Over, great band, great song writers, great lead singer...? Nah. Sorry, it all sounds better when Ian Moss duzzit.

richiek65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.