"I wouldn't pay $1,500 for a Tele."

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele60x, Nov 5, 2011.

1. yettoblaster

yettoblaster Tele-Meister

I'm sure I've LOST more than $1500 over the years, buying and trading and selling at a loss many Telecasters until I found the "right one."

Which happened to be a NOS G.E. Smith Telecaster for $1550 that somebody ordered and then could not pay for when it came in at a store where I'm a repeat offender.

And I've built several up from $300 - $600 worth of parts too, which you would think would be perfect, seeing as I got to select the parts, etc.

But the combination on the G.E. just "clicked" with me.

No regrets.

2. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Troll. It's always the cheap guitar faction slamming more expensive models around here.

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

When I compare my American Standard Strat to my Jimmie Vaughan Strat, I know exactly why it's worth the extra money spent. (actually now the Am Standard doen't cost any more than a JV, considering you get a hard case).

4. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted

I bought a pretty good used piano for about $1500, it amazes me that an instrument as big and complicated to build, with lots of little components, cost as much as an electric guitar.

And yeah I'd spend $1500 on a Tele, even more if I had the money.

You only live once and can't take the green stuff wit ya.

Dontcha know.

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yet if said faction [member] wins the Custom Shop Black Tele in the fund raiser, watch the tune change. :D

6. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Impossible to pay that for a piece of wood.

I can play with similar things for less.

Actually i have an Am. STD and i cant use it with my CVC and my BSB CV.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Furthermore, all of the folks screaming 'Buy American,' don't send our jobs out of America, surely will pay the cost for a good quality American made axe and not whine about it.

Oddly enough, of the 8 guitars that I own, six are american, the other two a mim and a squier '51 were given to me. Not saying I won't buy an offshore guitar, I have, just haven't kept any of them, for the most part they just didn't suit me. Actually after looking at CV guitars, I might rather spring for one of the new pawn shop series that are made in Japan, probably won't though. The CV guitars are nice enough to play, but have cheap looking hardware, after you change out everything, might as well just buy something better to start with, unless you just like to tinker.

As far as paying the price, I have a Martin D-28 Marquis, the reason I bought it, is that I had to spend that much money to find a guitar to replace my $249.00 1965 D-18 bought new, it still doesn't quite have the stuff the old Martin did, but it's close. If you are looking for a certain sound in your head, instead of a bargain, I suppose you just have to pony up the loot when you find it.

8. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Most I've paid has been in the $1000 range, so the $1500 Tele would have to be pretty amazing.

I was very tempted once by a $1600 G&L. It was a thinline with a Bigsby and a huge neck. But I passed...

9. Panheadless

Panheadless Tele-Holic

The best factory Telecaster I've ever played, the Am. Deluxe (outside CS and limited runs like the James Burton) can be had for 2/3rds or at most 3/4ths of the price mentioned. It's all relative. I know a guy who has around 45 electrics, none worth under $5K, some many many times that. Comes down to what it's worth to you.
    Missed out on a Kirn Barnbuster, pine body and everything else I like, for $1700 by being too slow. It just had a couple of dings. Idiot. Freaking idiot. Still kick myself. Not that I'm worthy of such a fantastic guitar.

10. prawnik

prawnik Tele-Holic

No.

11. newmachine

newmachine Tele-Meister

I won't spend more than $1000 for a guitar, or any gear.... I don't have that much $$$

12. ledet

ledet Tele-Holic

+1.

Great guitars can be had very cheap nowadays. No reason to spend more than what's necessary.

13. SolidSnakeBoss

SolidSnakeBoss Tele-Meister

Maybe he/she would donate it... yeah right.

14. elyuyi

elyuyi Tele-Meister

I would. I think that anyone should pay for a guitar that makes you want to play it, no matter how high or low the price.

15. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

120 bucks and some stuff I had lying around made this a killer "tele":
    [​IMG]

16. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

It may have been me in a fit of rage when a new pricing list had come out.
    Very possible.
    When I bought my first Tele in early September of '73 it was $185 Case included. Slightly USED...:cool:
    Very slightly used - the guy wanted a Strat. Sap...:rolleyes:
    But very good for stan!!! :D

I don't know what I'd pay anymore, one of my favorites Indonesia Red came to my door for $170 last year and that same week a CVC showed up on UPS with slight paint damage on the back for $270.

In conclusion: For all the Telecasters I want (9.5" radius) I can easily survive on less than four bills. If I go Hog Wild on an American Standard USED somewhere between 600-800 is my high water mark. :cool:

17. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They're pretty much in the same range. A few hundred dollars difference. My CS Les Paul was $2400.

18. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

I recently have, and it doesn't have "that" name on the headstock. Its resale value may not hold up as well as a Fender, but it's a fantastic instrument in its own right. It's the best money I've spent in awhile...

19. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

There's a lot of $10 hamburgers out there too, some well worth the price! They don't fill your belly any more than a 99 center, but it's the wallet that decides which you eat.
    "just sayin"

$1700 seems to be a sweet spot for new made in the USA guitars these past few years.

20. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know about you, but I usually have to buy about 3 of those .99$ hamburgers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.