I would like to introduce you all to my $1400 Fender Tuff Dog Chinacaster.. (I f'd up)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RavageTheEarth, Jul 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

As I said, I’m not in the US so I don’t know but I still don’t see why OP would offer more than GC would pay when he works for GC and could buy it from them. I think it’s very generous to OP to suggest he paid more than GC would offer out of the goodness of his heart, I’m sure he thought he was getting a good deal somewhere.

2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I work for a car dealership. People bring in cars to trade or sell. If I made a side deal with one of them to purchase the vehicle, I would not only be out of a job, but my sales license would be suspended or revoked. That aspect of this story is entirely separate from the ethics of the seller or the authenticity of the product.

3. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

4. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

"you can`t cheat an honest man"

5. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Holic

So the Tuff Dog Tele is real, has a chihuahua, and costs more than an American Professional? Holy moly I just looked it up and it's Merle Haggard signature model? Now I'm embarrassed... Forgive me, Merle! Thanks for the heads up.

https://reverb.com/p/fender-custom-shop-merle-haggard-tribute-tuff-dog-telecaster

Midgetje94 likes this.
  6. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

yes sir! Lol. Actually on my REALLY short list of dream guitars. I’ve actually contemplated getting the Chinese knockoff in the past.

but I have SOMEWHAT of a moral compass lol. Would never give a counterfeit company money. No way! That’s messed up. BUUUTTT if I were to find one used. Damage is already done right? Lol

OldPup likes this.
  7. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

I do feel bad for the OP.....probably an ok guy truthfully....

but there a couple of things I think this thread underlines

- GC = mostly a Target level experience and let’s face it....it’s all about the $$$

- GC this isnt the 1st or last time GC (or any music store) insiders get 1st crack at the REAL GOOD stuff. Remember that when getting up sold anywhere. If it was truly amazing great incredible etc etc it wouldn’t be on the rack most of the time. Lol

- Hustlers LOVE when someone tries to take advantage of them. They count on it.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jerry Jones designed/ built the original Merle- Fender Tuff Dog.

Merle had back pain and needed something light.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Wasn’t there a post a week or so back where a pile of chibson and chenders were impounded by US customs.?
    This dude could be on the receiving end.

10. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

" When you're Dealing with the Devil It's hard to keep a Level Head ".

Line from Bugs Henderson Song.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  11. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I'm not here to flame you, but that to me is the part that's missing from your post. When he brought the guitar in, you received it as a representative of Guitar Center. Instead of acting in that capacity, you acted in the capacity of an individual. That's a problem. Its no different than a car salesman offering to buy a trade-in from a customer without at least offering the car dealership the first chance to buy the car directly from the customer.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. Blackmore Fan

I don't see how he can. If the story is true, the seller did nothing wrong to Guitar Center. He did it to an individual. Its not Guitar Center's job to police private transactions.

greenhornet likes this.
  13. Blackmore Fan

That's where the conversation ends for me. The buyer had no business being the buyer--he was acting as a representative of his employer when he received the guitar to inspect and review for purchase.

greenhornet likes this.
  14. Blackmore Fan

Yes, exactly.

maxvintage and That Cal Webway like this.
  15. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

Ehh. Grey line. He brought it in (most likely knowing it’s fake) he was gonna sell it. Kid jumped the gun. Your last post brought up a good point I hadn’t seen here. At least give GC first dibs. (Not sure if they take counterfeit product. Never seen one there. But doesn’t mean no) but say he did what he should have and GC passed. At least he’d know what it was prior to loosing money.

but anyway. The seller had every intent on falsely selling a counterfeit guitar. Be it to a store or a person. He went in with intent to sell it. At least in MY opinion. That SHOULD be reason enough to bar him. I get the kid was in the wrong too. But if he bought the guitar personally. There’s a very fair chance that he could have gotten it under GC’s dime. Especially with him being a manager. (Not meaning he’s a expert at all things guitar. But there’s a less likely chance of someone watching him do the write up and all). So he saved the company money lol. But yea. I feel that this is grounds for barring

16. Blackmore Fan

I feel like he's on such shaky ground with his own employer he should simply let this go. His actions (as an employee) were out of bounds. If the seller were to protest his barring with the right words to the right people upstream, its not going to go well for the employee.

blueruins and vhilts1 like this.
  17. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

I suspect this is what happened

- Joe Jackass brings in a bunch of low end crap to trade in

- Rocket boy spots the Ruff Dog immediately and jumps at the chance to close the deal before it’s on corporate books

- Rocket boy in his zeal to act quickly and keep the Ruff Dog under wraps doesn’t make a big deal about it or really give it much attention

- At this point Joe Jackass keeps his mouth shut when Rocket Boy makes him a fair offer on what Rocket Boy thought was a Tuff Dog but Joe Jackass knew all along it was a Ruff Dog. Joe Jackass fully intended to pretend he didn’t realize it was a Ruff Dog if it was fully inspected and questioned.....or at the very least hope no one would notice and he’d get lucky.

- When Rocket Boy blew his wad at the ATM Joe Jackass knew 1400 was about 1200 more than it was worth and didn’t hesitate to jump at it

- After that it was just a matter of delaying long enough that he could reasonably say the $$$ was gone and to also give Joe Jackass enough time to figure out how to keep the squeeze on Rocket Boy and keep himself away from the heat

- Joe Jackass is like a lot of low end types. Low end guitars. Low end person. Low end life

- Rocket Boy got burned playing a game he’s seen play out many times at GC and hopefully he’s learned more than one lesson

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    nojazzhere, hemmings and Midgetje94 like this.
  18. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Totally agree....keep your mouth shut...and next time do the right thing

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  19. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

Ya know, it’s actually probably a pretty effective ploy.

Get some employee of a big corporate company to try and scoop a deal out from under “the man.”

Greatly increases the chances of hasty decisions and minimal inspection.

20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Selling a counterfeit guitar is wrong. It’s illegal. Job at GC May be in jeopardy (“oh no,” in mr. bill voice..) but I don’t see how it’s not worth reporting. He was scammed. Doesn’t matter if the seller was also scammed at one point.

nojazzhere and Midgetje94 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.