I wonder...

oldsouth

TDPRI Member
I play guitar, mandolin and banjo. I wonder if it would be possible to build a 3 neck guitar combining the instruments... like telecaster, mandocaster and electric banjo? I'd like to carve the body out of solid maple and bolt on 3 quality necks. I wonder though, how one could make the banjo neck sound like a banjo - should a section be cut out and resonator and tone ring with some sort of banjo type head put in? Is this even possible? Looking at Jr. Brown's guitar and Joe Maphis' guitar makes me want to give it a shot

Rich Rice

Poster Extraordinaire
I'd take a look at the Gold Tone electric banjos for ideas. A word of caution, though.. A doubleneck gets pretty unwieldy, a triple even more so. Maple can be pretty heavy, too. Just sayin.. ;)

rangercaster

Poster Extraordinaire
anything can be built !!! ...
12-bass-guitar-mandolin-banjo-violin-5-neck.jpg

Rich Rice

Poster Extraordinaire
LOL.. Just because a car can go 100 mph doesn't mean it should. Still, do what ya gotta do. Just think it over real good before ya go to all that trouble and expense. Careful what you wish for.. ;)

Bentley

Friend of Leo's
I'm sorry, but that seems like a big sacrifice an a low payoff. Building each individually would be way more fun, and way more fun to use!

dazzaman

Tele-Afflicted
John Paul Jones has had a few three neck instruments (all acoustic, AFAIK), and Jimmy Page has one as well. A google image search of "triple neck" turns up quite a few more. It can be done. If you are wanting to stand up I would seriously reconsider the solid maple body part though...

OpenG Capo4

Friend of Leo's

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. :lol:

But a mandolin/banjo/guitar triple neck might be easier to handle than something with a bass neck on it.

Soild maple? Maybe solid balsa. Plan on chambering it, or getting a good chiropractor :lol:

oldsouth

TDPRI Member
Thanks for all of the advice. Somewhere, I have the email address for a tech at the company that makes those multineck "Tennessee" Guitars - the silver one pictured above. When I spoke with him last year, he said the wood was a composite and overall, I got the feeling they are a cheaply made novelty. However, they are willing to build any combination of necks you order - all for about $250. So, now I'm thinking I will get one, just to see if playing something like that is even practical. That way, if I like it, I'll have a better I idea of how to design and build a quality version... and if not, it goes to the pawnshop!