I wired a Strat, pots behaving oddly

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
You have the cap on the tone pot, the green circle on that diagram, either not connected, or wired wrong. The schematic doesnt show the cap bridging the lugs on the tone pots.

are you saying the volume knob only functions from 10 to 9?

that schematic looks fine to me

edit

the cap goes one leg on pot casing, the other to lug one of that pot, then over to the wiper on the second pot

having a hard time posting a pic....

Last edited:

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
F4A2B381-6AC1-4F3E-9C4C-6291694A07D0.jpeg

you can see more clearly here

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Maybe you have an audio taper vol.pot wired backwards?

.1 uF is pretty big, if that's what you're using, depending on your pickups...and are you sure it's a zero-point-one and not a one-point-zero? I'd try a .047 or .022.

Otherwise, something's funky in your wiring.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
The total lack of response is curious...and aggravating. Makes me wonder if he found something silly he's too bashful to fess up to.

Or maybe all our suggestions are crap.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t see anything wrong with the diagram, unless you’re reading it incorrectly.

As others have said, pics would be very helpful

Greg M

Tele-Holic
I had the cap wired wrong. The volume problem is likely a not so good pot. CTS is the way to go, but I didn't have any for this one. I'll get some later. The volume isn't actually cut off below 8 or 9, it's just super low.

I didn't post pics because it's pretty sloppy. It would be like letting everyone see me when I get up in the morning ;)

Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I had the cap wired wrong. The volume problem is likely a not so good pot. CTS is the way to go, but I didn't have any for this one. I'll get some later. The volume isn't actually cut off below 8 or 9, it's just super low.

I didn't post pics because it's pretty sloppy. It would be like letting everyone see me when I get up in the morning ;)

Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated.
Which pots you use is highly up for debate. Glad you got it sorted.