I will never go to the local pawn shop to try out a amp ever again...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lightnin', Oct 24, 2013.

1. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

The amp was buzzing to my knowledge, with both of our guitars. His had a humbucker in the bridge, and mine were noiseless single coils.

2. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

Sounds about right. My dad said the price of guns he had were outrageous. And the guy that was his music person couldn't play well at all.

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Hi Lightnin', my Delta Blues didn't buzz, but I bought a different Peavey amp from a pawn shop about six years ago that buzzed at the store. I changed impedance on the switch, tried a different guitar, tried a different cord, tried a different outlet and it continued to buzz; all of which the sales guy was aware of.

I asked them to sign an agreement on the back of the receipt that I had 24 hrs to resolve the buzz or they'd give me back a refund. I got it home and it didn't buzz. I still have it and it hasn't buzzed since.

Now my Delta Blues' reverb started to buzz one time at home, not long after I'd bought it. I thought for sure the reverb unit some how got screwed up. The more I turned it up, the louder the buzz.

I remembered that I had plugged in a small fan in the same room a day or so before. I unplugged the fan and the reverb was fine again! What a relief! The problem was the fan. Buzzing can be resolved sometimes by removing something else from the circuit your amp is on. It can be fixed by running a ground wire from your 3 pronged cord to somewhere on the metal chassis that's not connected to anything else.

That would be best addressed by someone more qualified than me to say what would be a SAFE place to ground the amp.

My feeling on this buzzing problem with the Delta Blues you played through is that it can be resolved fairly easily. There's some good tech people here and on the Peavey forum (Enzo) that would guide you step by step if it still buzzed when you got home.

Another plus it that you shouldn't have any problem getting all your money back down the road if you decided to sell it.
    Good luck!

Also, when it comes to comparing prices with EBAY, which pawnshops tend to do, you always go by what the item sold for, not the asking price.

4. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Its funny too how when they are buying they will look at the completed listings yet when they are selling they go to the Buy-It-Now prices.

Although, I dont really haggle all that much anymore at pawn shops. Either the price is right and I buy it, or its not and I ignore it.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry Lightnin' I missed your post about the Noiseless pickups before I responded. I guess the bottom line here is that you don't feel comfortable with that amp or the guy who owns the place and if that's the case you should either pass or see if you can arrange a return if you get it home and it's stills hums or buzzes like it did in his shop.

I haven't see the amp of course but if it is in good shape that's not a bad price. If it's not the guitars or electrical interference the next step would be a bad tube or tubes and of course that can run into money. That's why if it were me I'd want to get it home to evaluate where I know there aren't any noise issues. If I found one near me for $300 or less and in tip top condition I'd have a hard time walking away from it.

6. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If there was a neon light or sign in the shop, that would cause any amp to buzz.
    $300 is not a bad price for a working DB 210. I would have offered $250.

7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Man, I envy you. Southern pawn shops kick ass compared to anything we have here.

Pawn shop prices tend to be high these days. So it goes.

This is more about psychology than it is about guitar 'n' amps. Pawn shop people are pawn shop people. They stand at the crossroads between them that have money and them that don't. They generally aren't social workers.

8. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

Lightnin', I notice you are from Alabama. Don't think that all pawn shops are bad. I've had good luck in pawn shops around Gadsden, Anniston, Jacksonville, etc. I don't visit them as much as I did when I was younger, but I've found good deals. Good luck.

9. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Pawnshops are sad places.

10. Trout

Trout Tele-Holic

This is a great summary! Sometimes it seems like they are social workers.

Don't write off all pawn shops because of one Gomer.

If I'd written off all pawn shops after my first encounter with a guy like this, I wouldn't have half of my collection. You have to take the bad with the good.

Just last month, I picked up a pawn shop mint 2011 Memphis ES-335 for a fraction of the eBay/GC price. A week after that, I found a Version 2 OCD for lunch money in the same store.

On the other hand... the more people that quit the pawn shops... the more for me!

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I used to haunt the pawns back in the 80's and found good deals; my faves were a Gibson 335 for $225 and a Fender Pro Reverb for $175. Good times. You endured the sleaziness of the shop because you knew they had nothing invested in the gear and even at those ridiculous prices, they were profiting handsomely.

No such luck today. Because of the internet, every pawn shop thinks every Gorilla practice amp they have is a valuable collectable and sometimes they cost more than they did retail. It's crazy, and not really worth my time.

I do like looking up 'Squire' on CL though... it's funny how many Squiers languish there that way.

12. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Yep and speaker size.

13. dusty tolex

dusty tolex Tele-Meister

IMO, the Peavey DB 210 is one of the great amps, for the money.

dt

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Yeah, overall the two 10's push more paper than a single 12". Mine had plenty of bottom and very punchy rhythm, nice sparkly top end too, especially with the Dano "Fish & Chips" EQ pedal in the effects loop. I got a nice BF tone when I wanted that sound.

15. Timbertea

Timbertea Tele-Holic

Pawn shops generally suck here for music gear. 90% of anything worthwhile goes up on Ebay rather than being sold in the store. Some of the cheaper pawn shops use Craigslist, but its hard to find bargains thanks to the internet and pricing being readily available for most items.

16. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

Same around here. There's one that has a Peavey Mace head and cab, wants too much for it, and won;t lower the price every time he posts it on craigslist. This has been posted weekly for about two years.

These mutts are supposed to be sooooooo market savvy too.:rolleyes:

17. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Regardless of pickups, if the buzz went away when he touched the strings, it almost certainly is not the amp. This is a textbook example of a guitar grounding issue, probably due to a bad solder joint.

18. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

I don't know. I told my instructor about it, he owns one, and he said it's more than likely a grounding issue with the amp since both of our guitars did it.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Either way Lightnin' that's an issue that's easily fixed and the grounding issue may have been in the circuit at the pawn shop. Will the guy let you take it home with a 48 hour return privilege? That'll give you time to check it out at home and if you still get a buzz have someone look it over for you to find out why.

If it was selling for $400 or more I'd expect it to be mint but for $300 or less I'd live with a bug or two that needed attention and it may be the environment it's in and not the amp itself.

20. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

Yeah, he also said it could be the grounding issue in the circuit as well. Not sure about the return issue because that was the first time I've ever been in there, so I don't really know how these guys operate.

After doing further researching and asking around, a lot of people say they prefer the 115 over the 210.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.