I will never go to the local pawn shop to try out a amp ever again...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lightnin', Oct 24, 2013.

1. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

This evening I went to a local pawn shop to try out an amp that was used. It was the Peavey Delta Blues 210. Not sure what year, but it looked like the older models. Anyways, as I started to play, it made a buzzing noise. The guy that plugged it in didn't give me any privacy. He kept standing right in in-front/behind the amp as I was playing. I was wondering why it was buzzing and he told me to try a different cable so I did. Didn't help it.

So the guy plugged in a different guitar and started to play, he said it didn't buzz at all, but that's because he kept his hands on the fretboard, and was covering up the buzz while playing.

So maybe we thought it was interference with something, so the guy took the amp behind the counter, and left me plugged in on the other side to play....ummmm...how was I supposed to try out the amp, fix the settings, when he moved it behind the counter and told me to stay where I was?

Didn't help the fact that he would unplug the amp chords with the amp still turned on. When he did that a number of times, it made a loud noise.

The guy said that my guitar is making the buzzing noise.

So I finally had enough of the buzz, and the way he hovered over the amp, and decided to leave.

Never again will I go back. Lesson learned

2. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I think I read a post (maybe on this board) about a guy who would take his own guitar and an old crappy cable with him when he went to pawn shops to try out amps. His old crappy cable would make the amp hiss and buzz and he would tell the pawn shop guy the amp was defective and use that to bargain him down on the price.

3. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

Well, these cables that I used were brand new.

4. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

the real question is how much it was. Have you ever shopped in a pawnshop before?

5. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Yes it was on this forum, i remember that post.

6. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

$300 dollars. Yes, I have shopped in a pawn shop before.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The guy who "helped" you sounds odd. He doesn't sound like a people person.

Screw it. Don't let the turkeys get you down.

Pawn shops are ok. That guy was goofy. I bet you'll have better luck next time.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Each pawn shop is different. There is one up here that has incredible music gear and let's you play anything, knowing darn well I ain't paying his inflated prices, but there are quite a few famous musicians with summer homes up here that show up at his pawn shop.

So, you never know.

9. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Going to a Pawn Shop is an entirely different paradigm than a retail outlet.
    A PS owner actually owns the gear you are trying out. He has paid out money,
    in one way or another, for the object you are interested in buying. Therefore,
    they can be a little possessive and protective of the items in their store. They
    have a certain profit margin they need to meet, and get concerned if that comes
    into jeopardy.
    You don't mention what the guitar was that you were playing, but if it was a tele,
    or other single coil setup, and the wiring in the building was old, you are going to get
    some buzz. Doesn't mean the amp is bad. If you had fluorescent lights in the building,
    these too can produce interference and get picked up by the amp.

Listen to the amp on this video when he is not playing.

10. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

I was playing a Squier Strat, but the pickups were noiseless pickups so they eliminate the 60 cycle hum.

11. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Well, then, I guess I would pass on the amp. I, personally, would pick up a "Classic 30" before a PBD anyway.
    They have a few really nice ones on ebay for 200-300.

12. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

I didn't hear any buzzing at all until he engaged the boost. Now I'm wondering if that guy at the store engaged the boost or not. Oh well.

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

What you described sounds like Guitar Center........lol.

Wiring at stores like that can make any amp buzz. If you liked the price, buy the amp, take it home and if it still buzzes, return it for a refund. Write that out on the receipt and have them sign that you will get a full refund within 24 hours.

I had Peavy Delta Blues 210.......great amp. I had to sell it to help pay medical bills otherwise it was a keeper. Mine sold for $450, it was a 1999 and not a scratch on it. BTW, the DB is the same as a Classic 30, the difference is that the cabinet is slightly bigger and it has onboard tremolo.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Not a bad price on that amp. Are you certain it was the amp? Was it buzzing even with nothing plugged in?

15. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

I didn't able to get a good feel for it due to the employee, and the buzz was making me not like it. I'm not sure if they'd do he refund thing. Did yours buzz at all?

16. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

I really don't remember..part of me wants to say yes, the other no.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well if it wasn't buzzing with nothing plugged into it then I'd sure look at what was plugged into it. If you were playing single coils in a place that was "noisy" with interference and hum that could be at some of the problem. Maybe try another guitar with HBs or noise canceling pickups if you haven't done that.

If it's in very good shape the price should be tempting though. There are two on Ebay now for $400 and $400 plus.

18. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

The guitar I was using had noiseless pickups. Fender Hot Noiseless pickups to be exact.

19. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

If it didn't buzz when he had his hands on the strings but wasn't playing, that sounds like a guitar problem, not an amp problem.

20. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Ebay has ruined pawn shops lol. Every time I try to haggle at a pawn shop, they quote me some ridiculous prices from Ebay. So usually I just laugh and say "ok Ill go shop on ebay, have a nice day".

The pawnshops near my house are pretty crappy. Just absolute junk in the entire store, the workers are enough to drive me insane, and most of the time they have no clue wtf they are talking about. Theres a fake fender USA strat at one, and I informed them of it, and they literally told me I didn't know what I was talking about and they had a "professional" look at it. A girl I know used to work there, and the "professional" is the owners son who is a whopping 17 years old and has been playing guitars for about 2 years now lol.

Im done pawn shopping myself, just a bunch of crap now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.