I WENT TO SEE THE VENUE OF MY FIRST UPCOMING GIG IN YEARS.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I've a gig in 6 weeks time.
Three one hour sets to 150 heads at a grand opening of an environmental arts centre that my neighbour has been building for the past 3-4 years.
The stage looks as if it's going to be good and the riser is being built this weekend.
I'll take the Bose L1's down next week and start rehearsing, plus a good local sound engineer is going to help get me a decent sound to suit.

I'll be in the corner, were the window (still to be fitted) is and playing out into the courtyard.

1653993111678.png

1653993151075.png

This will be my view from the stage...
1653993253478.png

One of the many sculptures to be installed...

1653993294463.png

And a few other sculpture to wander around between sets...

1653993543595.png

1653993651592.png

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Wish you luck.
We use to do "natures way" by Spirit back in the day.
They probably wouldn't know it anyways.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Looks interesting, what sort of material will you be playing?
A bit of everything, covers mostly with half an hour of my own material.
Probably start in the afternoon with some jazzier picking material Gershwin, Sting, John Martyn and Prefab Sprout.
I'm not sure about the middle set yet.
The late shift will be material to meet the level of intoxication: ELO, Free, The Band, Rod Stewart etc.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Wish you luck.
We use to do "natures way" by Spirit back in the day.
They probably wouldn't know it anyways.
I've just listened to that song because I've never heard of it before.
Wow, hairs on the back of the neck stuff.
Thanks, I'm grateful, you've just given me a new song for my set.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Here. (I helped to build the cabins).

30 miles North of Glasgow, near Loch Lomond, 10 miles South from where I now live.
Oh my goodness me - how cool is that?!!! That might need to go on our holiday list!

I've only been up to Scotland a few times. I did a lovely climbing trip on Skye, some time around 1986. And I was working as a stagehand in Newcastle in the early 80s and there were a group of youth theatres going up to the Edinburgh fringe. I bumped into a friend from school who's gone off to do stage management at theatre school and he was co-ordinating the trip and said he could do with some help if I was free. I spent an absolutely delightful three weeks or so supporting 20 or 30 kids doing a range of productions up there. It was the year I turned 21 - celebrated my 21st in Edinburgh that summer.

You mentioned John Martyn, in your reply about the music for the upcoming gig. While I was up there that summer, I saw posters for him performing at some venue in Edinburgh. Is there an Edinburgh Corn Exchange, maybe? Anyway, it was after I was going to have left, but I made friends with another theatre group that were staying longer, and I hitched back up later in the summer, slept on their floor and went to see a very drunk John Martyn. He was absolutely brilliant.

The gig got off to a really funny start. He was layering sounds with a looper. We didn't call it that then, but that's basically what he was doing. And he built up about five layers of guitar and then stepped forward to the mic to sing and that pulled the lead from his guitar and everything died. He looked down at it in some confusion, swore, plugged it back in and started again. Exactly the same thing happened again, and was repeated about three times before he sorted out the cable to give himself enough length, and tucked it through his strap.

We're up in Scotland in July for a week. During the pandemic we watched a series "The World's Best Hotels" or something. Most were in ridiculously exotic locations and you need a mortgage for a weekend, but there's one in the north of Scotland and we decided we'd treat ourselves.

I'll be thinking of you and @Flaneur as I drive up!

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
You mentioned John Martyn, in your reply about the music for the upcoming gig. While I was up there that summer, I saw posters for him performing at some venue in Edinburgh. Is there an Edinburgh Corn Exchange, maybe?
There is a Corn Exchange in Edinburgh now, but it used to be... the abattoir. When I moved to Edinburgh in 1996 we used to see sheep grazing on the green out front, having their last meal before a date with destiny the next day.
I think the abattoir closed because of changes to animal food chain rules in the wake of the 2001 Foot & Mouth outbreak. By about 2003 we were going to gigs there. It's a pretty cheerless concrete shell, if there isn't a good band playing you can still see it as an abattoir... (One of the first bands I saw there was ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, supporting Foo Fighters iirc!)

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Oh my goodness me - how cool is that?!!! That might need to go on our holiday list!

I've only been up to Scotland a few times. I did a lovely climbing trip on Skye, some time around 1986. And I was working as a stagehand in Newcastle in the early 80s and there were a group of youth theatres going up to the Edinburgh fringe. I bumped into a friend from school who's gone off to do stage management at theatre school and he was co-ordinating the trip and said he could do with some help if I was free. I spent an absolutely delightful three weeks or so supporting 20 or 30 kids doing a range of productions up there. It was the year I turned 21 - celebrated my 21st in Edinburgh that summer.

You mentioned John Martyn, in your reply about the music for the upcoming gig. While I was up there that summer, I saw posters for him performing at some venue in Edinburgh. Is there an Edinburgh Corn Exchange, maybe? Anyway, it was after I was going to have left, but I made friends with another theatre group that were staying longer, and I hitched back up later in the summer, slept on their floor and went to see a very drunk John Martyn. He was absolutely brilliant.

The gig got off to a really funny start. He was layering sounds with a looper. We didn't call it that then, but that's basically what he was doing. And he built up about five layers of guitar and then stepped forward to the mic to sing and that pulled the lead from his guitar and everything died. He looked down at it in some confusion, swore, plugged it back in and started again. Exactly the same thing happened again, and was repeated about three times before he sorted out the cable to give himself enough length, and tucked it through his strap.

We're up in Scotland in July for a week. During the pandemic we watched a series "The World's Best Hotels" or something. Most were in ridiculously exotic locations and you need a mortgage for a weekend, but there's one in the north of Scotland and we decided we'd treat ourselves.

I'll be thinking of you and @Flaneur as I drive up!
Enjoy the week and I hope you don't end up square wheeled for too long on the M6 or M1 depending on what route you choose.
Some of the hotels here are second mortgage level luxury, I hope you've picked a good one.
We've had a wet May which bodes well for a sunny July: that Mr/Mrs God person only allots the two weeks each summer of dry weather.

We're having a Scottish holiday this year for a week in July.
We're leaving the day after my gig, to the Moray coast which I believe is quite near Flaneur country.
'Just' me, Mrs K and the four grandkids.
It will be far from relaxing but I'm looking forward to a week of filling young minds with absolute nonsense, while they're still young and gullible enough to believe that I used to be a pirate.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Reminds me of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, just off the M1, north of Barnsley. A great setting, for some beautiful pieces.

My late friend Stephen Hines has a number of pieces in the Yorkshire Sculpture park, here he was at a gig about ten yars ago; and this was me aged 19 about 35 years ago;

1654109189165.jpeg
1654109291163.jpeg

Every hospital that saved his life has a sculpture, there are a few, this one is Pinderfields in Wakefield.

1654109599705.png