I Went To A Guitar Center Last Week

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
My sister was in town, so I was entertaining my nephew while she visited mom. He is 16 and a guitar play, so I took him to a Guitar Center in the west side of Cleveland.

The inventory is back up; there was not blank wall space, but almost everything they had was sub $1000 guitars, and most of that was sub $600. There were amps out, nothing high end, and no Tone masters. It's as if the store went down market to beginner gear. I am starting to see this all over - lots of intro / less expensive guitars, not much else.

We were both pulling things down, trying them out. My nephew looked at a Jaguar, and was wondering if it would be OK if he gave it a try. I told him "You are with me, and I'm a middle-aged plus guy in a dress shirt. They are not going to tell me 'No'." I just kept handing him anything he found interesting.

My nephew needed strings - they did not have any Ernie Ball 10s in stock. Odd.

Overall, an odd experience. Maybe the lockdown meant they sold a lot of less expensive units, and they are reacting to the market?
Yeah, went into GC in Clackamas, OR for the first time in about 3 years. Stilled abysmal. Drum section looked abandoned. They had a lot of guitars, but as you said, a huge drop in the price level. Also new, was their higher-end acoustics were locked up. Not sure if that’s a new company wide thing or if they're just in a higher theft area. So, as one does in that situation, I bought some strings and left.

Last edited:

WRHB

Tele-Holic
Yeah, went into GC in Clackamas, OR for the first time in about 3 years. Stilled abysmal. Drum section looked abandoned. They had a lot of guitars, but as you said, a huge drop in the price level. Also new, was their higher-end acoustics were locked up. Not sure if that’s a new company wide thing or if they're just in a higher theft area. So, as one does in that situation, I bought some strings.
Martins and Taylors are locked up over here too. Even the $500 ones.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Martins and Taylors are locked up over here too. Even the $500 ones.
What a bummer. Maybe it's a staffing thing. They don't have enough people to keep watch. That, or too many people are dinging the hell out of nice guitars as they remove/replace them, or don't remove their watch/bracelets before getting their Pete Townshend on.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Strings are still in short supply. Stock at local guitar stores still seems very random.

The local GC's near me Have full guitar racks. Bottom level racks are all $1000 or less; Top racks $1000 to $2500. Over $1000 locked, you have to ask. The more expensive electrics are all in the special room. Acoustic rooms are similarly fully stocked and locked. They had a couple dozen guitars in the used section – fully stocked.

Amplifiers do seem to be a little short. That's probably just manufacturing shortages continuing. I didn't see any amps over $1100 that I recall.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
One thing GC is fairly decent at is displaying inventory on their website for what is (and isn't) at specific stores. A sort by price would provide empirical evidence against your hypothesis.

*Hypothesis #2: Everyone is broke from buying up all of the reissued George Harrison rosewood teles after watching "Get Back" and trying to flip them for 2x the price on Reverb... and nobody is buying them because the only people who would are the ones trying to flip them.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I've got $350 worth in Guitar Center gift cards which were given to me over the last several years. They're still valid but every time I take a gander in my local Guitar Center or online, I never end up using it because nothing interests me. Chances are that I'll receive even more GC gift cards this year for my birthday and Christmas, too. I just keep saving them up for a future purchase.

Oh, well, I guess I'm set for life for guitar strings!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Stuff comes and goes. I’m in that store all the time. They had Tonemasters last week. Those things are selling like hotcakes.

I watch the website for that specific location like a hawk. I check it almost every day. Cause it’s right down the street from me and you never know what they’re gonna get. The good or interesting stuff goes fast.

The staff isn’t particularly knowledgeable. About anything. At all. But they are friendly and generally attentive.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Stuff comes and goes. I’m in that store all the time. They had Tonemasters last week. Those things are selling like hotcakes.

I watch the website for that specific location like a hawk. I check it almost every day. Cause it’s right down the street from me and you never know what they’re gonna get. The good or interesting stuff goes fast.

The staff isn’t particularly knowledgeable. About anything. At all. But they are friendly and generally attentive.

I looked for you when I was there! :lol:

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
You might want to head down 77 to the GC in Fairlawn. I got to play this all original 1967 Telecaster last week. I’m so glad I had the chance to play my birth year Tele!
View attachment 974799 View attachment 974801 View attachment 974803 View attachment 974804 View attachment 974805 View attachment 974806 View attachment 974807
Unfortunately it’s a bit out of my price range.
this is disgusting, what is it really a Custom Shop Master Built heavy relic special, makes me sick up
vampire    Willem-Dafoe-in-Shadow-of-the-Vampire 2.jpg

still_fiddlin

Friend of Leo's
I went in today for a mandolin stand (yes). They had it because I did check the website. I walked into the acoustic room and it was overloaded with really low end stuff, and boy, did they ever have ukuleles to pick from. I do agree the containers that were sitting out in the ocean for months with orders placed during the pandemic have probably finally made it to shore, and they've got "starter" instruments out the wazoo that may find a shortage of buyers now. But, what do I know - GC is doing so well...

And, there was this "Scratch & Dent" gem of a formica guitar at the low, low price of $30 off list. Seriously. I can't even relate the conversation I had with them about it when I was checking out with my $23 stand...
IMG_8095.jpg
IMG_8096.jpg

Painter644

Tele-Meister
I’ve stopped going into guitar and golf shops. The draw of new (golf) or old (guitar) is strong, but my “Hey, cut that out” sense is stronger as is the realization of all the stuff I have at home. I mean, who needs more than 3 or 4 sets of irons, myriad drivers, and more than a handful of putters, sets of steel and graphite shafts; a couple of acoustics, a Tele and 3 Strats? I’m just a guy who plays a guitar a little in my living room. I do play golf a lot, but…