1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Went Crazy Today And Did Some Insane Things

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

I've learned something very valuable about myself in all of this. One of those things is that no, I really don't like working in an office. Commuting is an incredible waste of time. I will stay remote insofar as this and future employers allow me to. The other is that I prefer shopping during off hours. We never even thought to bother until this event, and now we'll never go back. Finally, we ate out too much.

I also know how incredibly lucky I am that those are the things I learned, and that I myself and my loved ones have all stayed safe, financially secure, and healthy.

unixfish, SRHmusic and AAT65 like this.
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

Oh, and I hate shorts. Hate them. I will only wear them if I am working out. They feel awkward to me, and I look like a complete goober in them.

unixfish likes this.
  3. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Nah, I didn’t like the VT420. We had one, but also several VT220s of which the two favourites were one with an orange-phosphor screen and another with a cool off-white phosphor. Nicer than the standard green phosphor screens and much nicer than the over-bright colours of a VT420 emulating a VT220.
    Ah, the good old days...

unixfish likes this.
  4. AAT65

I’m with you 100%. I’m glad to say my boss has been pleasantly surprised at how well we’ve carried on working remotely, and I’ve told him I do not intend to return to commuting 9-to-5 5 days a week when this is over. My goal will be two short days in the office per week (to miss the worst homebound traffic) and the rest working from home.

Anacharsis and unixfish like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I just retired. I’m not doing crazy things. I haven’t set an alarm. Tiberius, my 8 month old Weaten decides when it’s time to roll out of bed and licks my ears.

My wife does crazy stuff. I never imagined. She goes out shopping every day. I’ve been in tow a few times. I never knew I needed so much stuff. I know now that we need less than half of it. I now know where to find buttermilk and other stuff she needs to prepare meals in Whole Foods. I shopped the sales at Williams Sonoma and Talbot. She wanted a sweater from Orvis and found that I need another flannel shirt because it’s marked down to $89.

I never knew what I was missing out on while I was working and didn’t know the real reason she didn’t want me to retire.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    unixfish likes this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

But, if I remember correctly, the VT220 and VT320 had a maxiumum baud rate of 19,200. The VT420 max rate was 38,200. I liked the keyboard on the VT420 better as well. As for the color and all that, personal preference.

So the VT220 was your high water mark, or the VT320? The VT320 was also a nice terminal.

Squawker and AAT65 like this.
  7. AAT65

I don’t remember the feel of the keyboards... I expect that after a VT100 the 220 and 420 seemed blissfully quiet... (we had one old VT100 in the corner that no one wanted to use).

unixfish and Squawker like this.
  8. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

The VT420 also had two serial inputs and could flip between them, or run split screen!! Magic :D

TwoBear and unixfish like this.
  9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

I think for many white collar businesses in which talent is hard to come by, offering at least half time (likely more) remote is going to become a key recruiting and retention tool. People are figuring out that commute time is just time on the job, whether or not they are on the clock. There's also a good chance that it will be incentivized for ecological reasons. All that driving is a gigantic waste. The old fashioned "I want everyone in the cubicle farm, just because" manager is going to have to pay a lot more to get the same caliber of person in any competitive field.

TwoBear and unixfish like this.
  10. punkermd

punkermd TDPRI Member

I still have all my MS books from getting my MSCE back in 2006, super out of date, but I just can't quit the box in the garage they are in.

Squawker and unixfish like this.
  11. unixfish

Yes - I used to do that, to compare options between two sign-ons running our applications. Very useful tool back then.

12. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

I carry a little plastic Tupperware in the car and I toss Paper and metal money in it before and after transactions. Not for me because I’m invincible but I have a loved one with a less than ideal immune system. If you don’t go too crazy on the tipping, when it’s all over maybe all of you can buy a new guitar.

unixfish likes this.
  13. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

1976 would have been about 10th grade for me, I seem to remember teachers asking back in grade school, maybe 4th-6th grade what we thought about changing to metric. Not challenging what you’re saying at all just wondering about the timeline. I Imagine like anything else there were yeas and nays, Calls to arms n powder kegs, the second after the proposal.

unixfish likes this.
  14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ain't no stopping you!

unixfish likes this.
  15. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What, is it a full moon or something? [crazy]

unixfish likes this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I really miss "going to work" and starting next month I'm going to head to the office once a week regardless, mostly just to get a change of scenery and eat some takeout lunch once in a while. I will still have to do all my work online probably until September, I've just got to get some space between the wife and I once in a while or we are both going to go nuts.
    I can and always have been able to get the basic work done from home, but a lot of the really good ideas and productive conversations happened by popping in on people who I had established a good working relationship with. Now that you have to schedule a zoom to have any communication, it just doesn't happen as often.

unixfish likes this.
  17. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think that's right, as I was in somewhere between 4th and 6th grade at the time.

After a little Googling ...
    There was a push by US gov't starting at the end of 1975 when this act was signed into law. But the notes say the discussions started in1973. (That could match your 6th grade?)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Conversion_Act

And some notes here on an educational push in the schools that started in 1976.
    https://usma.org/national-metric-week

I noticed in the electronics industry the newer processes (semiconductors) were all metric based, but the packaging which was a hold over from earlier US dominance was still in US/English units. (So 25.4mm/inch is ingrained in my head!)

unixfish likes this.
  18. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Yeah it's all fitting together I remember the middle school I went to was grades seven and eight, and we started with woodshop, and the next year when we came back that was gone and changed to plastics, with the shop teacher mentioning at the end of seventh grade that plastic was going to be the new wood.

SRHmusic and unixfish like this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Pants?
    I have to wear all my safety gear every day.
    Pants are easy.

I have had the best and worst of both worlds in the current situation.

Good:
    -I haven’t been laid off (yet).
    -I’m working 40-50 hours a week.
    -Nobody in my immediately family has gotten COVID, outside of two nephews in their 30’s.
    -I’ve been able to spend more time with the wife and kid because they are home a lot more than usual.
    -Hank the Dogo Argentino is integrated into our life.

Bad:
    -Thumper the Useless Terrier died back in March, and it still depressed the crap out of me.
    -Mother-in-law passed away in July, and she was a rock for my wife and daughter.
    -Still taking care of father-in-law, who has dementia and is unable to completely process the loss of his wife.
    -My wife and I automatically go into “austerity” when layoffs are possible/threatening, so while I have all my full paychecks I’m not spending anything.
    -Kid had to totally dismantle her plans for the year—including her missionary work, her secular work and her personal goals.
    --Ditto for my wife and I; some of our goals paralleled the kid’s.
    -All the bands in our household (4 total) have been put on hold; I was especially excited about a bassist who became available (his long-time band disbanded and he called me immediately); we’ve worked for him before and he’s a ringer—the did can play.
    -I’m exhausted.

unixfish likes this.
  20. unixfish

I had a friend of mine call me over the weekend. His wife runs a small business, and she does the accounting for it. Her PC was on it's last legs and failing.

Ugh. I went out and bought a new one for her.

So I went to them yesterday, replaced her PC, got things transferred and installed, and started working on a new server for them. With that and a few others in the office needing IT help, I ended up being there for about a full work day.

This is the first time I've worn a mask for more than a few hours. It was not bad, aside from my glasses fogging up if I did not have it up far enough.

The real world. It had been a while.

SRHmusic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.