1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Went Back To 10s On My Tele

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Mar 9, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have been playing 11s on my Tele for a few years now; I wanted heavier strings to help put a bit of "bow" back in my neck. It was almost dead flat.

I had a pack of Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11s and a pack of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10s. I figured why not try the 10s - put them on, if I don't like them, swap them for the 11s.

I pulled the strings off, polished my frets and tuning buttons, and put the 10s on. I am really liking the 10s. I did need to intonate the bridge just a little bit, but my guitar feels nice, and I do't have any fret buzz like I did years ago when I was using 10s (although that is probably more changing my technique than anything else?).

I know you were all worrying about what set of strings I would put on my Tele next. Now you know - rest easy! :lol::lol::lol:

Note to Self - tape the fingerboard next time I use metal polish on the frets. Getting it off the poly on the fretboard was a bit of a challenge. I really should have known better, but you know, early evening, and I just wanted to get this done. :oops:

SacDAve, jays0n, Oxidao and 7 others like this.
  2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Ha! Whatever works. I just went back to 11s for the same reason. Playing like a whole new machine!

3. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Hey Uni, the question of what set of strings to try on a particular guitar is perfectly cool, and part of the fun of the "process" involved with playing music! And we're very much okay with hearing about it! So, I say, "Experiment on!", and keep having fun with trying out different little things, as you never know when you might stumble onto something that really clicks!

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

It's a slippery slope, be careful! Next you'll be looking at 10.5s...

Then you'll be looking at the Slinky light top - heavy bottom sets, and then balanced tension sets... then pure nickel... When will it end!?!?!?

5. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I love the sound of my Gretsch (with p90s) but the string tension was always a little too loose when using 10s - I couldn't crank the truss rod enough to get the string tension I like before the neck started back-bowing. 11s were not right at all, so I tried 10.5s and they work perfectly - I hardly notice a difference in the string size from my Teles which all have 10s - and now all my guitars have relatively the same string tension. I am thankful that there are lots of string options these days.....

6. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Oh yeah? You should try 9s!

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Ewwwwwwwww

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I'm down to .009 and considering.008.

9. unixfish

I though that when I put on the 11s. Now I though that when I went back to 10s. Funny how that works. :D

Bill Sheehan and RowdyHoo like this.
  10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I experimented with 008s.
    Oops.
    Getting the truss rod adjusted again to put 010s
    Back on.

Bill Sheehan, RowdyHoo and unixfish like this.
  11. unixfish

I tried some pure nickels in the past. I did not like the tone. I then tried some stainless steel - those were too bright for even me. The rest just seems, eh, "too much". :D

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Now a slightly more normal post about me and guitar strings...

For me and my guitars, I think every guitar has a set of strings waiting for it. It's not about me, it's about the guitar.

My Squier Classic Vibe 50s Blonde Telecaster gets 9-42 nickel plated steel. My Gretsch gets pure nickel 10-46. Les Paul gets 10-46 nps.

The 60s Strat type gets 10-52 pure nickel.

'52 Telecaster type gets 12-54 half rounds with a wound 3rd

The Rickenbacker 12 string is a jerk....

13. unixfish

:lol::lol::lol:

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  14. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

24C4231E-0BCD-453E-9C43-BC416383325D.jpeg

15. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I just put a set of D'Addario Super Light Plus on my Telecaster tonight. (9.5 11.5 16 24 34 44)

16. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

I was 11s for the longest time... switched back to 10s and I dont think I’ll be going back up any time soon. Tens really work well for me

Bill Sheehan and unixfish like this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

10s on all of my guitars. 11s and my hands don’t work well together. I’m not excited to go smaller but I may have to in time
    Experiment and enjoy the ride. When you find what works for you, and a particular guitar, it’s a cool thing.

18. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Is there a lot of truss rod phobia going around? :confused:

19. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

I am recently experimenting with strings on my tele (G&L) also. 9.5s were a pretty good ticket for a while, down from 10s. Then just a couple weeks ago I tried a set of 9s to check those out. I have a .014 G so the 9s that I am trying out are altered. My experiment finds me bending a bit out of tune. 9s are indeed slinky and my muscle memory in my left hand is being challenged. Many times I bend sharp, and bending up on the D string a full step can’t be done, so I’ve lost a few licks there. I may well go back to 9.5s again, only with a .015 G and see how that works out. Currently I am challenging myself trying to move toward hybrid picking in my playing, with additional use of more double stops for country. Right now I can’t say that my little experiment has helped me at all. It has been fun though.

20. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I like the sound of the 0.010 string on the bottom, better than ehe 0.009, which is too thin sounding in my opinion. But the 10s come with a heavier third string which is hard to bend (especially for Country steel guitar bends with old hands). Someone here recommended the GHS 10 - 38 set to meet in the middle, so the speak. So far...they are just the ticket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.